Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Hi,
First a general question about speaker configuration for multichannel.
What do you use "measurement group" i .e. Allinone,speakerbyspeaker, left, right ?
So, for multichannel setup should I assign groups?

Now the main issue I am facing

I am measuring a 5.1 multichannel configuration with usb umik1. Separate streams with my Asio DAC and wasapi driver for umik1.

First set of measurements completed but side speakers measured way off, around 30db lower than FL, C, FR speakers. Really not possible, as I've measured this same configuration
many times in another DSP program. My system is fairly well calibrated for even response.

Even though I realized measurements were bad, I moved them into the app to get a feel for using the controls with multichannel setup.
Ok. Used some of the controls with mixed results due to very bad measurements. So decided to remeasure to try again.

Now, when selecting Measurement / New measurement I receive a program exception, and I am stuck.

I uninstalled program, and reinstalled. I deleted files from the Juice / Document directory. Old measurements are still there.
Where are they saved???

Program exception remains.

In case this rings a bell for anyone, here is the text of exception.....

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Juice.PA_HighLevel.pbkk2DRyha(Int32& , Int32& , Boolean , Boolean )
at Juice.PA_HighLevel.SetDevices(String& Indevice, String& OutDevice, Int32& Indev, Int32& Outdev, Boolean SetDefault, Boolean OutHasPriority, Boolean _separateStreams, Int32 playChannels, Int32 recChannels, Int32 playMask, Int32 recMask, Boolean play, Boolean rec)
at Juice.formMeasurement.CustomInitialize()
at Juice.formMeasurement..ctor(MeasurementClass msm_)
at Juice.formMain.ubDPIasIMm(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Any ideas? How do I reset Audiolense so that I can retake my measurements.
Thanks

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Ok. The program exception seems to be audiolense not liking my having removed asio4all. Reinstalling asio4all resolved the issue. This seems to be something that Audiolense needs to handle better.

Question still remains on measurement groups for speakers, and how those settings should be used.
Thanks

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Measurement groups are there in case you wish to reorient the microphone for e.g. the surround speakers. You start with a regular all-in-one measurement to capture the timing, and then proceed with a group wise measurement.

An alternative approach is to point the microphone towards the ceiling.
A third approach is to make separate targets for surround speakers that accounts for the high frequency rolloff caused by the directivity of the microåhone.

Don't hesitate to send me a measurement file if you want med to check how things are going.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Hi Bernt,

I may be doing that shortly, but I think measurements are looking good. I now seem able to consistently reproduce similar results that line up with measurements I've taken via other DSP software. Also, I have yet to buy software, so I'm not sure there is a way to save a file off with measurement results.

What I need to do is take a couple more reads through various sections of the help file. Last read proved that I should have paid closer attention to text that has red emphasis, such as this one regarding targets :)
"Note that all targets drawn level out towards 0 Hz and the top frequency. This is recommended, since steep slopes at the extremes sometimes will lead to less precision in the calculations"
My first targets did not take this approach, and that led to some bad results.

While I am on targets.... My system is 5.1.
------> is there any advantage to having separate targets i.e. for subwoofer, or is it best to use 1 target regardless of speaker type, and let software take care of calculations?

Also, any hints for improving the filters on a 5.1 system? When I look at the analysis step response simulation, it looks ok.
Some wavy lines prior to initial spike, but timings seem to somewhat follow target and TTD test behavior seems to not show ringing (if I'm understanding this stuff). So, while perhaps not a perfect filter / correction Audiolense seems to have cleaned up quite a bit of the timings.

But... At moment, I feel like kind of test dummy systematically going through cycles of changing TTD window sizes and checking/unchecking the ringing correction box.

Anyway, some more testing out of software and learning needed.

Thanks

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Measurement groups are there in case you wish to reorient the microphone for e.g. the surround speakers. You start with a regular all-in-one measurement to capture the timing, and then proceed with a group wise measurement.

An alternative approach is to point the microphone towards the ceiling.
A third approach is to make separate targets for surround speakers that accounts for the high frequency rolloff caused by the directivity of the microåhone.

Don't hesitate to send me a measurement file if you want med to check how things are going.
Can you please explain the multiple target approach? For example, say that a pair of speakers shows directivity roll off in the measurements.
1) Do I create / assign a second target that follows the (rolled off) frequency curve for the speakers whose high frequencies are impacted by directivity issue?
2) Do I apply an adjustment for that second curve via the "change target alignment"?

Sorry, this has me confused.
Thanks

Top Bottom