Winter Surprise! Marantz Launches Its Latest Integrated Amp, the MODEL 40n

full?d=1644954605.jpg

(February 15, 2021) Several years ago, we covered Sound United’s intention to re-delineate two of its most popular AV brands, Marantz and Denon. At the time, the company said it was launching a multi-year plan to push Marantz gear more upstream, with the MODEL 30 Integrated Amplifier ($2,999) and SACD 30n Network Audio Streamer ($2,999) kicking things off with September 2020 launches. Pricing and technologies aside, both models were injected with fresh styling that blended classic Marantz design elements with aggressive, modern appointments.

Today, Marantz is continuing its refresh efforts by releasing an all-new integrated amp, the MODEL 40n. Physically speaking, the MODEL 40n looks nearly identical to the MODEL 30, sporting an edge-lit faceplate surrounded by a futuristic-looking surface. Internally, however, the MODEL 40n is its own being, presenting a 70 watt per channel (8 ohms) Class A/B amp section, which is considerably lighter than the MODEL 30's. Price-wise, it’s lighter too, landing at $2,499.

Much like the MODEL 30, the 40n is built to satisfy the needs of a modern music fan, providing access to streaming, podcasts, digital libraries, and traditional sources. As Marantz’s president, Joel Sietsema, summarizes, “With our MODEL 40n we’ve further perfected the balance between what we’re known for – our sound – with added simplicity, gorgeous design, modern upgrades, and power. This product is truly ideal for those who require excellent performance yet find elegance in simplicity and ease of use.”

With built-in access to popular services like Spotify Connect, Apple Music, Pandora, TIDAL, and others, the MODEL 40n gives owners extreme latitude when choosing a streaming source. Onboard processing can handle Hi-Res audio files up to PCM 192 kHz and DSD up to 5.6Mz, with wireless access provided by AirPlay, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Sound United’s own HEOS multi-room streaming platform.

Broad wireless connectivity is complemented by a full array of digital and analog inputs, including a moving magnet phono stage and an HDMI input dedicated to Audio Return Channel (ARC) playback when connected to a TV. And not to ignore low-end lovers, an onboard sub-out with crossover adjustments enables the addition of a subwoofer.

Marantz says its engineering team recruited the company’s unique Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAMs) paired with discrete surface mount components and the shortest possible signal paths for precise bass transients and balanced mids and highs. Its amp section is bolstered by a large power supply transformer, four output transistors per channel, heavy copper bus bars, and very short power pathways for instantaneous current capabilities; the MODEL 40n is made to live with power-hungry speakers.

Usability is topped off with both a physical remote and compatibility with Siri, Alexa, Google, and Josh.ai, giving the MODEL 40n a high-level modern simplicity.

The Marantz MODEL 40n Integrated Amplifier will ship In Marantz Black and Silver Gold finishes for $2,499, with shipping starting in March 2022. For more information, go to the MODEL 40n’s product page. To purchase, visit an authorized Marantz retailer or go directly to www.marantz.com.

Additional Images
full?d=1644954605.jpg

full?d=1644954605.jpg

full?d=1644954605.jpg

full?d=1644954605.jpg

Last edited:

symphara

At this price it should have room correction. Otherwise you have better options from Lyngdorf (with RoomPerfect) and NAD (with Dirac).
Without room correction there's the EVO 150 from Cambridge Audio, with similar streaming capabilities but a lot more power.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
You make a great point about room correction. Seems like an obvious add-on, especially since they have it integrated across so many products. Perhaps it would have pushed the price point a few hundred north of where they wanted to land?

symphara

You make a great point about room correction. Seems like an obvious add-on, especially since they have it integrated across so many products. Perhaps it would have pushed the price point a few hundred north of where they wanted to land?
Honestly I don't know, I look at the spec sheet and I'm really puzzled.

If a boutique company like Lyngdorf can make a device that does almost everything* this one does except it has more power, includes one of the best room correction systems on the market (complete with a high quality microphone and tripod!), and a super-snazzy integrated web server for configuration and control, for less money, surely a giant like Sound United, with economies of scale, should have been able to squeeze it in?

They didn't even bother with an MQA decoder.

Or compare it to the Cambridge Audio EVO 150. It's a very similar product that I believe does everything this Marantz does except it has more than twice the power, has a large color display for album artwork, has Chromecast etc.

Why did Marantz make this product and price it so highly? One would have to be really invested in the brand to get this instead of the alternatives.

(*) the TDAI-1120 doesn't decode DSD

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
It is a 2 channel stereo with added simplicity (tone controls)... Who needs EQ??? Let alone MQA... Lol...

Randy L

Well, I've been enjoying the initial Model 30 for about a year now and it sounds unbelievably good. The 'old' Model 30 is basically a KI Ruby with a different preamp. (not necessarily worse, just different). The new Model 40 looks like a scaled down (in terms of specs\sound) version of the Model 30 with network capabilities. Sort of trading purity of signal for more network features. Probably good for most people who want convince coupled with good sound. But not so much for those who are looking for pristine audio quality... And I agree with others that this should have included Dirac room correction, although I also agree that the decision to omit it was probably an effort to meet a 'reasonable' price-point. - I'm glad that Marantz is 'downgrading' and not upgrading the Model 30 to the Model 40. Makes me feel that my Model 30 is still the king of the line. :)

MediumRare

I was all interested in the product until I got to 70 wpc (at no specified THD). That is supposed to help move the Marantz brand up-market? Color me confused.

Randy L

According to the Marantz Product Page it's: 70 WPC@0.02% (20Hz - 20kHz, 8Ω)

witwald

The Marantz 40n seems to only have a low-pass filter option on the subwoofer output. Don't most subwoofers have an onboard low-pass filter, so this is somewhat superfluous. What is needed, but seems to be missing here, is high-pass filtering on the stereo outputs to allow better blending with the main loudspeakers. Ideally, that would be high-pass filtering on the individual stereo channels.

Also, what's a "Dumping factor 100" in the specifications? Are Marantz now using Quad's current dumping circuit topology in their latest amplifier?

Randy L

I guess since this is not really a home theatre surround AVR Marantz assumes that if you wish to add a subwoofer than your mains probably don't go down very low. Thus allowing the built-in crossover to route the 'missing' frequencies to your sub. Thus not allowing double-bass to occur. (Of couorse leaving the sub crosover dial all the way up to accept your chosen crossover frequencies).

witwald

According to the Marantz Product Page it's: 70 WPC@0.02% (20Hz - 20kHz, 8Ω)
And the Marantz MODEL 30 is rated at 100W + 100W (8Ω) and 200W + 200W (4Ω), THD 0.005% (1kHz, 8Ω), and Damping Factor of 500. Those results seem typical of Class D amplifiers.

Randy L

And the Marantz MODEL 30 is rated at 100W + 100W (8Ω) and 200W + 200W (4Ω), THD 0.005% (1kHz, 8Ω), and Damping Factor of 500. Those results seem typical of Class D amplifiers.
Yes. I love my Model 30. But I must admit I was a bit worried about it being a class D amp at first based on all the negative comments I've read about class D... But not anymore. All problems have been solved and holy moly does it ever sound good! Powerful, detailed fast yet full, and super wide soundstage and 3D. Probably due in part to it's seperate preamp and power supply as well as Marantz's magical HADM tech. I don't know but it's super good! The bass control alone is out of this world. Tight and tuneful. - And no I don't work for Marantz, lol... Not sure if the new Model 40 will bring to the table the same level of sophistication the Model 30 does. But Marantz really cares about this series so I'm sure it'll be pretty good. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. (Hear).

Last edited:

boxker

More  
Marantz SR-6012
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-200
Sony-ubp-X800
Front Speakers
Klipsch Rp-160m
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RB-81
Surround Speakers
Bic Acoustech Pl-22II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch Icon KB-15
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Sattellites
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Sattelites
Subwoofers
2 HSU VTF-2 MK 5
PS4, Nvidea Shield, Roku 4
Video Display Device
Samsung 75inch Nu-7100
Remote Control
Harmony HUB, Alexa
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony 400 DVD (used for CDs)
At this price it should have room correction. Otherwise you have better options from Lyngdorf (with RoomPerfect) and NAD (with Dirac).
Without room correction there's the EVO 150 from Cambridge Audio, with similar streaming capabilities but a lot more power.
Doesn't room correction limit digital resolution to 48khz?

Randy L

It is not an Audyssey limitation. The AVR manufacturer chooses to limit Audyssey to 48kHz by not providing DSP capability for more. Some few do provide more.
That's right, I forgot about that, thanks... So if you want higher resolution DSP\room correction then best to avoid units that limit Audyssey or other room correction offerings that do the same.

Kal Rubinson

That's right, I forgot about that, thanks... So if you want higher resolution DSP\room correction then best to avoid units that limit Audyssey or other room correction offerings that do the same.
If you think it makes a significant difference, yes.

Top Bottom