Who Makes the Best Sounding Digital Amplifiers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers / Processors / Amps' started by AudiocRaver, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
    Staff Member

Yes it’s the same amp. It’s an NAD licensed version of the UCD module from Hypex. I’m a fan.

2. BadJRT

BadJRT Member

Matthew, have you or anyone else here ever looked at these amps https://www.d-sonic.com/ and how they compare to the ones mentioned in this thread? I've been checking them out and even talked to one of the designers on the phone, but I don't know enough to be able to ask the best questions. In your opinion are these good quality bang for the buck amps? I thought of either 7 channel or 3 channel depending on me getting a pre/processor or receiver to power the surrounds. https://www.d-sonic.com/amplifiers/

Thanks, Brian

3. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

As far as I know the D-Sonic amplifiers are based on ICEpower modules with custom input stages and protection circuits. If so, then nothing wrong with them. Probably very good. I happen to think Hypex NCore is better.

BadJRT likes this.
  4. BadJRT

BadJRT Member

If you wouldn't mind giving me a few good questions to ask, I'll call them back sometime this week and see what I can find out.

5. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

I’m sure they are very good amps that would make you happy. You could ask if they still use ICEpower and if so what is the nature of their improvements. You could also ask how they handle the power supply on multichannel units. For example, do they run 2 or 3 amps per ASP module or is every channel independent. This would impact sustained simultaneous power.

BadJRT likes this.
  6. BadJRT

BadJRT Member

They use Pascal and all channels on multi channel amps have independent amps with 10-12 db of headroom. I hope I copied that correctly.

7. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

Ah so they switched. Well yeah Pascal makes great modules too. I’ve read some negative press about them technically but only when compared to the best available, and it seems these complaints are debatable issues.

Emotive has an upcoming receiver that will use Pascal amps and I think it’s pretty exciting. I would be happy with a Pascal based amp.

8. BadJRT

BadJRT Member

I just saw that Emotiva has a monoblock D class coming out but I didn't notice a receiver. I've been wanting to see Outlaw and Emotiva get in the D class multichannel power amp game.

9. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

The RMC is going to have a receiver sister product. It was in our and Todd’s coverage. It’s been shown a bunch of times but hasn’t launched yet.

Basically it’s a 200 watt per channel receiver that likely will produce close to 200 watts per channel ACD. No receiver I’m aware of can compete with that.

In my opinion all receivers should be Class d at this point. Because of power supply limitations and because of wall current limitations, we can’t afford inefficiency anymore. Going to Class d ensures as much of that available power is converted to speaker driving watts and not heat.

Also, I’m tired of having to deal with heavy equipment. Class D with switching supplies are so nice to deal with.

BadJRT likes this.
  10. AudiocRaver

AudiocRaver Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Matt, we are channeling the same thought-source. Love it!

Lighter, more efficient, great sound... I think we are not far from what you describe. It will make for some fascinating listening tests.

11. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

The Onkyo 920 I bought has class D amps and have been very happy with its sound

12. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

I honestly don’t understand why it isn’t more common. The technology exists for it today, it shouldn’t be cost prohibitive, and it would resolve a current problem of inadequate power.

13. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

I think there is a fear from some manufacturers of using digital amps as there are lots of misconceptions about them. Given Pioneer has been using them for many years it is hard to say why the hesitation is still there

14. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

It’s Great that Pioneer started using them and from your experience, that is trickling over to Onkyo. Great!

15. Tim Hector

Tim Hector New Member

I suspect that you'll see more and more Class D Amplifiers. They just make since. Low power consumption, easy and inexpensive switching power supplies and the sound has improved to the point that hard core audiophile amps are being produced. I have owned Abletec modules and have listened to Pascal and NCore modules. Standard audio gear should continue to see trickle down from the audiophile world and benefit greatly from the improvements as they come along.

16. BadJRT

BadJRT Member

Matthew,
    I was just reading about balanced vs. fully differential balanced and I'm not understanding it very well, but will keep researching. I wanted to ask if one can tell an amp is of a fully differential balanced design, by looking at the spec sheets? I'm still checking out these D-sonic amps and since it doesn't specifically say in the headlines, I thought maybe there's an indication in the specs.

https://www.d-sonic.com/content/D-Sonic Data Sheet.pdf

https://www.d-sonic.com/amplifiers/upgrades/

Thanks, Brian

17. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

Think of it like this. A differential amplifier as I was talking is one that has two amplifiers paired up such that each one acts on the + and - phase of the signal respectively. One advantage of this is that the amplifier is more powerful for a given rail voltage. In addition it provides cancelation of common mode noise through to the output and is thus cleaner. The negative if this approach is that it doubles the noise making components and so the non-common mode noise is doubled. If that noise is extremely low, then going from day -127dB to -124dB is of little concequence.

https://www.ati-amp.com/differential_drive_amplifier.php
    ATI is one of the few companies building true differential amplifiers. However some Class D full bridge amplifiers are as well. My Behringer NU6000DSP sub amp is fully differential for example (though it has none of the good attributes of one other than high power output).

The D-Sonic amplifiers appears to be balanced in but single ended out amplifiers. They are not a fully differential amplifier all the way through I don’t believe. It’s honestly not a bad thing. I don’t like amplifiers that use balanced convert chips, preferring a true differential input stage. However I am ok with really good single ended amplifiers.

I’m also being a bit fast and loose with terms so excuse me for that. In this case the “single ended” output is only referring to the actual output being a single +\- output referenced to ground vs a differential output with no reference to ground. The amplifiers, in both cases, are push pull designs.

BadJRT likes this.
  18. BadJRT

BadJRT Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I read the info in the link you posted. That gives me a better understanding, but I'm not so sure I have any better perspective regarding me personally realizing the real world difference between differential balanced or just balanced input/single ended, as you stated. Sometimes I get reading about audio equipment, and before I realize it, I'm going off track on some high end audiophile equipment or theories that are far beyond the comparative links in the rest of my system I'll be building. I guess that's part of my learning process, as I'm trying to figure out a system, based solely on theory and reviews. I'll audition speakers once I'm ready with my room, but the rest of the equipment I'll most likely just order, without listening too. (Amp, preamp, subs, surrounds) I'm trying to not end up wasting money with overkill links in my system, as I'm not really looking to upgrade for many years once I do this. I'd like to get it right, out of the gate.

Thanks again! I really appreciate you guys answering my sometimes out of left field questions.

19. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

Don’t sweat it, that’s why we are here.

As for the differences and issues, it just works differently. ATI will obviously tell you it’s a superior approach. Benchmark Audio will tell you it’s worse. I’m actually partial to the approach myself.

Having said that, it’s exceedingly rare to find differential output amps. I wouldn’t make a big thing out of it. Far more important is the power output of the amp. Differential amps might be a little cleaner, but that does you no good if you run out of power.

I also think people tend to overbudget amps and sources and underbudget speakers. A really great speaker with a decent but cheap amp will sound better than a mediocre speaker with a really good amp. As with everything, there are limits. You can get pretty good amps and speakers for not all that much money (at least relative to some of the audiophile stuff we are talking about).

BadJRT likes this.
  20. ddude003

ddude003 Active Member

Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
    Keep in mind that the overall sound quality of your system is only as good as your least performing component... Finding a balance in quality/performance/synergy at your price point would be the goal...

Keep you eye on GaN-FETs with their high speed switching characteristics and low impedance power... This is ushering in a new age of Class D amplifiers...