What kind of wire do you use to connect your equipment?

Discussion in 'AV System Setup and Support' started by Matthew J Poes, Mar 12, 2018.

1. thrillcat

thrillcat Moderator
    Staff Member

For speakers, I bought a spool from Monoprice when I did my last theater remodel and ran it in the walls.

For audio interconnects, I have a Rubbermaid tub of cables I bought back in the late 90s that is full of "good" analog interconnects that have been retired at one point as things moved to optical/coax, then HDMI. They range from Audioquest to Monster to whatever Circuit City/The Good Guys/Best Buy had on hand when I needed something.

Honestly, though, I'm only using analog interconnects in one place, and that's from my turntable to preamp and preamp to a cheap Monoprice tube amp.

I guess I'd be curious to learn if cables "age", or if there has been some massive revelation in cable technology that I'm missing out on something with my 20yo cables.

Negatron likes this.
  2. thrillcat

thrillcat Moderator
    Staff Member

Oops. Two places. That setup and between the Emotiva XMC-1 and Emotiva UPA-700. I bought a 7-channel interconnect from Emotiva when I ordered the amp and earlier processor. They seem like a rebranded Monoprice cable, frankly.

The original 7ch interconnect developed a short in one channel, I emailed Emotiva about it and they overnighted a replacement. Turns out they have a lifetime warranty.

3. Negatron

Negatron Moderator
    Staff Member VIP Supporter

I buy my speaker wire from Monoprice by the roll. I usually get the white or black sheathed 12 gauge wire, and then install Speakon connectors.

4. Negatron

Negatron Moderator
    Staff Member VIP Supporter

I use Monoprice 12g white sheathed in wall cable for my height channels. If I have any of my mil spec silver clad wire left(after using it for my B&O amp module wiring) I will try that on my front 3 horns, and see if I can hear any differences.