Wasapi click/pop noise with Audiolense 6.16

Fabien64

Registered
Hello,

I've done a measurement session that was OK from the measurement part (OK range) and bad from the filtered result.
After listening to SweepMeasurementFile i've found that there is click/pop noise in the measurement file.

This session was done with 6.16:
- Motu 8A ASIO (not working in WASAPI mode)
- UMIK-1 in WASAPI exclusive

I've then tried to understand why my measurements where bad so I've done a test with another soundcard:

- VLINK 192 (USB audio class 2 to DAC) in WASAPI exclusive mode (no ASIO) (set to 48khz 24bits)
- UMIK-1 in WASAPI exclusive

Same things lot of click / pop... :(
It is coming from the playback as I heard them (not heard during my playback on the Motu with ASIO).
I've tried to put audiolense in realtime prioty and it changes nothing.

I've changed output to Realteak (WASAPI) same click / pop.

I've tried with directsound for playback / recording and it works.

I've done it again with the Motu in ASIO and no pop noise heard but there is pop noise in the recording this time (WASAPI Umik) ....

To sum up WASAPI seems to be broken with audiolense on my side...

I've also a strange hole at 10KHZ at -19db that was not there on my previous measurement.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
It sounds like you should stick to Asio for the Motu, and just experiment with the various alternatives for the microphone feed.

Fabien64

Registered
Yes but a lot of combination does not works with various error...
What I found strange is that no other software has issue with WASAPI output / input like that :(

One that has finnaly worked correctly is FlexASIO with:

backend = "Windows WDM-KS"
bufferSizeSamples = 1024
[input]
device = "Microphone (Umik-1 Gain: 36dB)"
[output]
device = "Out 1-24 (Out 1-24)"

It seems there is an issue regarding WASAPI that generate this noise in play / record with audiolense as it is not specific to a sound card.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Glad you found something that works, Fabien.

This is on my radar for sure, I have recently assured that literally every combination of playback and rendering works for three embedded sound cards (Realtek) I have here, two USB cards, one PCI card and MiniDSP's headphone USB mic. I am not able to do much more at the moment than what I have already done, but I will get back to this when I find something worth trying out.

Fabien64

Registered
For your information I've tried the FlexASIO WASAPI backend and it produce some click also. It seems that the Motu WASAPI part is not bullet proof.

FlexASIO.toml:
backend = "Windows WASAPI"
bufferSizeSamples = 1024
[input]
device = "Microphone (Umik-1 Gain: 36dB )"
wasapiExclusiveMode = true
wasapiExplicitSampleFormat = true
sampleType = "Int24"
# set sample rate on the Motu to 48Khz

[output]
device = "Out 1-24 (MOTU Pro Audio)"
wasapiExclusiveMode = true
wasapiExplicitSampleFormat = true
sampleType = "Int24"

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Is there anyway in your Motu where you can specify a large buffer? Buffer size often matters.

hulkss

MOTU does not recommend exclusive mode for the 16A. I think the 8A may be similar. Set all Windows audio devices to the same bit depth and sample rate to avoid the windows mixer.

Fabien64

Registered
MOTU does not recommend exclusive mode for the 16A. I think the 8A may be similar. Set all Windows audio devices to the same bit depth and sample rate to avoid the windows mixer.

Thanks, at least motu confirmed it. Unfortunatly drivers update dont seems to exist with Motu.
I'll stick with FlexASIO with WDM-KS as it works !

hulkss

I measure using ASIO with my PC connected by USB to the MOTU. When I am using the PC for playback, WASAPI seems to work well.

Top Bottom