Using AL with no preamp

jrobbins50

In a new experiment, I have connected my Okto dac8pro MCH DAC directly to my power amps, bypassing my Marantz AV-8802A preamp entirely. For playback, I use HQP through Roon for volume control and it works fine. Greater transparency, for sure, but I definitely need to re-run my AL measurements as it sounds quite different.

My concern, of course, is that with Roon and HQP bypassed for AL measurement, the AL sweeps will be a full amp volume level and could well destroy my speakers. Is there an output volume control in AL that I am unaware of (as I have previously adjusted the system volume for measurement using the Marantz preamp), or another workaround any of you may have used or can suggest?

Thanks, all. JCR

Nedam

Unless I am missing something would you not adjust the gain setting when you create the measurement to regulate the volume? This is how it works for me using the XO version. Marked in orange in the pic.

Attachments

• volume.JPG
    volume.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 40

jrobbins50

Yes, I thought that merely adjusted the microphone sensitivity, but you are correct that it actually controls the output volume level of the sweeps. Thanks. JCR

2234rew

Yes, I thought that merely adjusted the microphone sensitivity, but you are correct that it actually controls the output volume level of the sweeps. Thanks. JCR

Doesn't Okto also come with the Apple remote for volume?

This is one of the few very good multichannel DACs with a decent remote control for volume, so it kind of becomes the preamp.

Lucky you for actually having one ! Production is ultra slow. There's a long wait. I think they even stopped taking ordered for a while, the backlog and COVID related interruptions.

Last edited:

jrobbins50

Yes, I see that they currently are still not taking new orders. I ordered mine in February 2020 (#111) and received mine in July 2020. And indeed, I did use the volume control within the Okto to attenuate the sweeps for AL measurement! Thanks. JCR

2234rew

Yes, I see that they currently are still not taking new orders. I ordered mine in February 2020 (#111) and received mine in July 2020. And indeed, I did use the volume control within the Okto to attenuate the sweeps for AL measurement! Thanks. JCR

What are you experiences so far using the Okto as a pre direct into power amps?

No nasty sudden / random noises?

I assume the power on sequence is very important here for all components - power amp turned ON last ? And turned OFF first ?

I'm using my Denon AVR as the multichannel DAC and pre and power amp for 3-way with DSP crossover (plus 2 subs). So all drivers are directly connected to AVR speaker outputs. I'm happy to report no pops or strange noises when powering on. So the Denon is designed well in this regard. All the 4 ohm drivers get their own DAC and over 100W of decent power each. All with one box and remote control for volume.

But I do hope to get an Okto8 Pro and seperate power amps - more of a 'nice to have' than a 'need' but still want to try.

Iansr

I would buy an Okto if I could only order one. I’ve suggested to some of the Chinese manufacturers that in view of the demand they should make a multi channel DAC.

wus

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Windows 10 PC
Computer Audio
1: ESI Maya22USB and an iSEMcon EMX-7150 microphone for measurements; 2: LogiLink UA0099 USB Sound Card for music output;
Front Speakers
2 x JBL 305P MkII

2234rew

I would buy an Okto if I could only order one. I’ve suggested to some of the Chinese manufacturers that in view of the demand they should make a multi channel DAC.

Plenty of pro audio devices available too

Iansr

Yes I know there are things like the MOTU, but they usually involve one or two compromises or work arounds. I’d much prefer an Okto or similar . . .

jrobbins50

I am getting no popping sounds. Best sound I’ve ever had in my system. I use HQP controlled by Roon for playback and had the max volume set at -3dB when using my Marantz preamp. Without it now and going straight to the amps, I’ve now set volume max at +10dB, which plays back louder than my previous max and still no audible distortion. Pretty cool. JCR

2234rew

Without it now and going straight to the amps, I’ve now set volume max at +10dB

Generally Jussi (HQPlayer) recommends never going above -3dB though

For digital clipping reasons, when upsampling

Unless you applied headroom somewhere else in HQP?

Top Bottom