Update install impact on ASIO setup

BJB

I am running an older version of REW and successfully got HDMI multi channel output to work with ASIO on my windows laptop.

I now need to update REW as I am getting ready to run some sweeps as I integrate my MiniDSP. Do I risk messing up my successful ASIO configuration if I just install the new version on top of my old one? What about microphone calibration file import etc?

I have read many FAQ's but did not see this mentioned. I apologize if I missed it.

Thanks,
BJB

EarlK

One can have multiple copies of REW on a single computer .

They'll all use the same preference file which should help maintain your ASIO settings.

If you want to do that > pay attention to the "Install" message windows ( one will ask if you want to over-write an existing installation or install a new version in a different location ).

I keep active copies of the latest 32bit and 64bit .versions on my computer ( they co-exist just fine ) .

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BJB

BJB

Just checking if this answer is still valid with the most recent versions of REW? OK to keep a very old version around without creating issues with the shiny clean install? :)
BJB

EarlK

Sorry, no longer know the answer to that question ( as it applies to 5.19 & 5.20 > of the same bit version ).
- I do still have an up-to-date copy of the latest 32 bit & 64 bit versions co-existing .

Still, worth noting is that a file created with the newer versions of REW can't be opened by the older versions ( IOW; a file created///saved in REW 5.20 is not openable in 5.19 ) .

Old files can be opened ( & then saved ) in a newer version of REW ( & then the caution noted above applies ).

BJB

Ahhhhh! Got it. But the new REW version will read the old config files and transfer over the ASIO and other settings I assume during the install/upgrade?
BJB

EarlK

All my settings ( preferences ) are 100% retained when I update to newer versions of REW.

BJB

I have made the ASIO issue a separate thread here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom