Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X4400H
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
I tested a bit with the new 5.20 Beta 1 on my Mac. While getting plausible measuring under Parallels WIN 10 on the same hardware I now can state that whatever I select always the internal Mic of the Mac is used. Can anyone help me out with a hint what goes wrong?

many thanks
Karsten

Karsten Faesser

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4400H
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Hi John,

thank you for your immediate reply. Sure I can provide my details. Thought I best provide the whole "starting" procedure as a multi page PDF. Please let me know if this adequate and delivers the information you requested.

One interesting detail I may add:
when starting a measurement each time I am asked to allow usage of the umik and have to press "OK".
Might be something to look after…

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-05 um 10.04.27.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 12

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks. Strange that the channel selections are not enabled for the mic, can't think what could cause that. Can you post a screenshot of the Audio Midi setup for the UMIK? (Applications -> Utilities). You implied the mic was working under Parallels, so you are probably aware of this, but make sure the USB connector is firmly pressed into the back of the mic.

The mic access prompt appears each time you try and access an input after starting REW, though I don't see it again until the next time I start REW. I've reported that to Oracle, seems to be a Java vs 10.14 issue.

Karsten Faesser

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4400H
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Hi John,
I have attached the Audio Midi Setup Screenshot as well as another one from REW comparing two curves (blue = internal MIC, orange = UMIK). While playing around I stumbled across "deleting prefs" in REW and tried so. After that I was able to make the orange measurement, which looks plausible to me. Interestingly this state doesn't last long. As soon as I switch over to the internal mic and than back to the UMIK, again only the internal MIC is used. Until I delete prefs again and start from scratch.

Hope that helps searching for what goes wrong…

Thanks for taking care and the precious work you have done so far.
Karsten

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-06 um 11.29.32.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

John Mulcahy

REW Author
One additional request : on the soundcard preferences there is a button to generate a debug file, could you attach that also?

Karsten Faesser

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X4400H
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
I am out on the road travelling.
This one is without the UMIK attached (left at home). Will do one with the UMIK on Saturday.

Regards

Attachments

• soundcard_debug.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 7

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I understand why the channel selections were not enabled now, since the internal mic is mono. I'm not clear why the internal mic is being selected rather than the UMIK but I've made some changes to the device handling for the next beta that might help.

Top Bottom