UMIK-1 Levels Crazy High suddenly

DanDan

Staff member
I have been happily using a UMIK-1 forever. Even considering replacing it out of appreciation lately. Then suddenly it seems, the SPL reading is bizarrely high and I can't seem to tweak it down.
I am on OSX Sierra REW Beta 29. I noticed a few other threads with similar observations. I would guess it to be about 30dB high.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is the UMIK still selected as the input device and the input?
Does the cal file show up using the Cal Files... button on the Measure dialog?
If the UMIK is set up to have individual cal files per input is there a file loaded for both inputs?
Where did you notice other threads about that?

DanDan

Staff member
Hi John, there are three or four of them here https://www.minidsp.com/forum/umik-questions
That is why I posted here rather than email you privately. If this is a widespread issue perhaps others will join in. Particularly if anyone has found a solution.
I have tried everything I could think of, including opening it up and changing the DIP switches. And dumping the Cal file and attempting a manual calibration.
Nothing is clear enough to publish here or to be useful to you I am afraid. I will try some other things and communicate with you either here if I find something of widespread interest or privately to work it out together. I have a suspicion it may be broken, but those other posts.......
Happy New Year

DanDan

Staff member
OK, I normally run the latest Beta, so just now I downloaded the last 'Official' release, 5.19 This seems to be working fine.
Beta 29 reads hot by 8-10dB. I will test that properly now with Pink Noise.
EDIT, seems to be 8dB hotter on Beta 29. 5.19 is reading similar to a B&K Calibrated device.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The most recent UMIK I have (702-5008) reads exactly the same on 5.19 and 5.20 beta 29 using my calibrator.

Tested on Win10 and macOS 10.15.1

Last edited:

DanDan

Staff member
Cool. You using a Mac or a PC? My old UMIK 700 2231 has been working perfectly for years and still does now on 5.19. So clearly something has gone adrift between than and now. With the Shennanigans at Apple it is not surprising. Perhaps recent REWs are not compatible with OSX Sierra?

Last edited:

DanDan

Staff member
There we go, the answer. Apple traditionally have been very good at keeping compatibility unless some major hardware change warranted dumping the past.
In recent years they have doubled the frequency of full OS rewrites. At the moment most of the Audio industry is staying away from Catalina.
Many of us on Sierra have to stay there because our graphics cards are not compatible with Mojave. I hope this has been of use, in terms of alerting and providing a possible workaround for those others experiencing similar issues.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sorry, I don't understand what you think the cause is. The UMIK also gave identical readings on 10.14 and all earlier macOS versions I have used, which is every version since the UMIK was first manufactured in 2013.

DanDan

Staff member
I have no idea what the cause is, but I am certain of the symptoms and the fact that 5.19 is working fine.
I think I have tried every option in terms of Cal, No Cal, OS gain elements, etc. etc. I am pretty familiar with getting REW to work on different computers on site.
But when I saw others with similar symptoms, i.e. a sudden inexplicable change in level by about 8dB, I thought, hmmm, John and they would appreciate this workaround or fix. https://www.minidsp.com/forum/umik-questions/16599-umik1-suddenly-measures-wrong. I did also see a 30dB is bump, similar to another poster, but it has not happened again.
Perhaps it is a UMIK thing? Mine is old and there seems to be a 12dB, 18dB, issue. I have posted on the UMIK forum where others are having similar experiences.
Tech aside, I wish you a Happy New Year

Last edited:
Top Bottom