Ultraviolet Cloud Movie Locker Set to Close During 2019

Ultraviolet Cloud Movie Locker Set to Close During 2019
full?d=1548953009.png
(January 31, 2019) With a rather surprising announcement, Ultraviolet (the movie locker floating in the cloud) is prepping to shut down. In a statement released to nearly 30 million account holders, the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (a consortium responsible for operating Ultraviolet) says the service will close operations effective July 31, 2019.

According to an exclusive story published by Variety, DECE’s president Wendy Aylsworth claims the move is “a response to the evolution of the market for online entertainment.” Aylsworth says that Ultraviolet was conceived at time when digital based services were practically non-existent. Over the last eight years, segment competition has grown and increased in complexity, especially considering the popularity of subscription based services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The concept behind Ultraviolet is rather simple, serving as a destination where consumers can store digital purchase rights for a particular movie title. In turn, the movie can be streamed or downloaded to multiple devices directly from a participating retailer (including the likes of Universal, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, and others). It’s important to note the service doesn’t actually store video files, only the electronic rights for purchased content. Therefore, Ultraviolet users aren’t technically losing access to previously purchased movies.

In the DECE’s statement, the consortium says consumers should follow these guidelines:
  • Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
    • You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
    • You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
    • Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
  • After the shutdown date
    • Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
    • You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
  • What should you do now?
    • As soon as possible, login at myuv.comand choose Retailer Servicesto verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
  • Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.

Ultraviolet says that users should expect further communication in the weeks and months ahead, as “some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.” You can read a complete FAQ detailing the shutdown, here.

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Other Speakers or Equipment
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
I got the email notification and was quite surprised. It seems just another indication that physical media is in it's last days. First Oppo and now this.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
There’s definitely a shift in how folks manage/consume media. The streaming services are basically rendering ultraviolet useless..

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
I think it's more a factor of MoviesAnywhere being the next generation of digital copies. Ultraviolet was fractured with not all the studios on board (Disney was a mess with UV) and once Movies Anywhere came out it had the support of pretty much ALL the studios. All new DC's are now being distributed through them, so UV was a dinosaur that was being phased out.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I'm gonna be honest, I have been sharing a UV account with two friends for a few years now. Whenever one of us adds a new movie, we all have access to it. I'm guessing we're not the only people who've done that.

Movies Anywhere has done a much, MUCH better job of making this next to impossible, which is why I think the studios have flocked to MA and why UV has been (very quickly) rendered obsolete.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I have over 300 movies on there. Let’s hope this shakes out ok and we don’t lose all our movies or have too log into numerous sites too access them.

Paul Crowther

Over here in the UK I could see this coming. Initially there was very little choice of retailers to play your UV movies from but that gradually got worse and worse until now there are no retailers at all who support UV.
So from my prospective it died last year sometime when the last retailer abandoned them.
I now theoretically have access rights though UV to a load of movies but no retailers to play them from i.e. all the online movies I have are now gone.
This is one reason why I do not buy streaming rights to movies and TV shows as you can easily loose them if the company you bought them from goes under or they looses the rights from the movie studio to provide that service to you.
Physical discs are yours forever, as long as you still have a machine to play them on.

Top Bottom