Ultraviolet Cloud Movie Locker Set to Close During 2019
According to an exclusive story published by Variety, DECE’s president Wendy Aylsworth claims the move is “a response to the evolution of the market for online entertainment.” Aylsworth says that Ultraviolet was conceived at time when digital based services were practically non-existent. Over the last eight years, segment competition has grown and increased in complexity, especially considering the popularity of subscription based services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.
The concept behind Ultraviolet is rather simple, serving as a destination where consumers can store digital purchase rights for a particular movie title. In turn, the movie can be streamed or downloaded to multiple devices directly from a participating retailer (including the likes of Universal, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures, and others). It’s important to note the service doesn’t actually store video files, only the electronic rights for purchased content. Therefore, Ultraviolet users aren’t technically losing access to previously purchased movies.
In the DECE’s statement, the consortium says consumers should follow these guidelines:
- Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
- You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
- You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
- Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
- After the shutdown date
- Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
- You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
- What should you do now?
- As soon as possible, login at myuv.comand choose Retailer Servicesto verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
- Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
Ultraviolet says that users should expect further communication in the weeks and months ahead, as “some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.” You can read a complete FAQ detailing the shutdown, here.