Timing reference has gone wonky

Chuck Gerlach

I started to do some measuring and when looking at the delay information available in the sweep data, I noticed that all of the numbers are now negative. To further test this, I used the same speaker (Right) as the timing reference (Right) , and instead of the delay being close to zero, it shows the following:

Delay -5.7560 ms (-1.974 m, -(6 ft 5.7 in))
using estimated IR delay relative to Acoustic reference played from Altitude R with no timing offset
Clock adjustment: -10.4 ppm

If I measure the right surround and use the right channel as the reference, it shows a smaller delay, but still a negative number. The mic is physically closer to the right surround - and the data looks like the following.

Delay -1.1044 ms (-379 mm, -(1 ft 2.91 in))
using IR start time relative to Acoustic reference played from Altitude SR with no timing offset
Clock adjustment: -10.7 ppm.

This just started and I am completely lost. The measurement file is attached. I have tried this on two different Macs and have restarted the Trinnov processor - all with the same result. I have also replaced the HDMI cable with the same results. Also tried it with room correction (Optimizer) off and though the delays times were slightly different, they were both wrong and both negative.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Right vs Right Apr 19.mdat
    249.7 KB · Views: 9

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Do you have" loopback delay reference is IR peak" selected in REW preferences/analysis?
There is some sound preceding the main peak that may be setting that delay estimate.
- Just a guess.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
As mentioned above, in the Analysis preferences, Impulse response calculation select "Loopback delay reference is IR peak".

Chuck Gerlach

As mentioned above, in the Analysis preferences, Impulse response calculation select "Loopback delay reference is IR peak".
That is how it has been set for as long as I have been using REW. I am not using a USB Soundcard for these specific measurements.

Chuck Gerlach

Chuck Gerlach

1. Do you need a 12kHz sample rate for some purpose or did it happen by accident?
2. Try installing a new version of REW. https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/v5-20-14-early-access-build.11154/
Curious? Where do you see that I am using a 12KHz sampling rate? In preferences, I have 48KHz set as the Sample Rate.

EDIT: I do see on the "Info" page that is shows a sampling rate of 12KHz??

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 10.50.34 AM.png

Last edited:

Chuck Gerlach

I just tried the new software and am still getting negative delays. The first image below is the left speaker used as both the timing reference and the speaker to measure. In theory, the delay should be really close to zero, and as you can see, it is not.

The 2nd image is using the Left Surround as the timing reference and the left speaker is being measured. The LS is about 5 feet closer than the left speaker. So while the distance is reasonably close, the difference is negative.

I may be missing something here, but I am pretty confused at the moment.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 10.59.50 AM.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sorry, didn't notice you were using the UMIK. The delay (and the reduced sample rate) are due to the very limited measurement range. Measuring over a limited frequency range affects the impulse response, creating artefacts that can impact delay estimates if the channel being measured is not itself limited in range (such as a subwoofer). Measure over the full frequency span for accurate delay estimates.

When the measurement end frequency is far below half the sample rate REW can lower the sample rate to reduce the amount of redundant data in the measurement. That is controlled by the "Decimate IR" Analysis preference.

Chuck Gerlach

Sorry, didn't notice you were using the UMIK. The delay (and the reduced sample rate) are due to the very limited measurement range. Measuring over a limited frequency range affects the impulse response, creating artefacts that can impact delay estimates if the channel being measured is not itself limited in range (such as a subwoofer). Measure over the full frequency span for accurate delay estimates.

When the measurement end frequency is far below half the sample rate REW can lower the sample rate to reduce the amount of redundant data in the measurement. That is controlled by the "Decimate IR" Analysis preference.
Some progress. Thanks. I am measuring to 20K now. Now when I measure using the same speaker for measurement and for the timing reference, I get a delay fairly close to zero (.14 inches to be exact). However, when I use, for example, the side surround as the timing reference and measure the front left speaker, which is about 5 feet further away than the left surround speaker, I still get a wonky delay (.06").

I'm still at a loss.

Thanks again for your assistance

Attachments

• L+L vs L+SL.mdat
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If your processor has had its delays/distances correctly adjusted the delay should be close to zero for all channels.

sam_adams

Some progress. Thanks. I am measuring to 20K now. Now when I measure using the same speaker for measurement and for the timing reference, I get a delay fairly close to zero (.14 inches to be exact). However, when I use, for example, the side surround as the timing reference and measure the front left speaker, which is about 5 feet further away than the left surround speaker, I still get a wonky delay (.06").

I'm still at a loss.

Your measurement level seems a bit low:

level.png

Try raising it +6 to +10 dB and increasing the sweep length to 512K—also start at 20 Hz—as the noise level in the room seems rather high:

nfloor.png

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
@John Mulcahy , if bass management is active can that affect the delay calculation? I obviously don't know if this is the case with @Chuck Gerlach 's measurements, but I've always checked delays with speakers set to "Large" in the processor thinking that it might.

Thank you!

Edit: In the case of multiple subs phase aligned for best SPL response?

Last edited:

Chuck Gerlach

If your processor has had its delays/distances correctly adjusted the delay should be close to zero for all channels.
Wow! Color me "moronic". I had previously turned room correction off but it was on again. I apologize for not doing a better job of some "pre-analysis" prior to posting this.

Thank you so very much. All is well and working as it was and should.

And on a completely different subject, is there any near (mid; long) term plans to implement the "noise" option (vs sweep) when making a measurement?

Top Bottom