Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-62II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Rb51II
Subwoofers
Svs pb2000
Screen
Samsung 4k uhd
I thought maybe perhaps i would be able to dip my toe into the Home theater universe and purchased some svs subwoofers. Needless to say with the room size i have they just aren't enough. Now that im the main provider for the family it's become rather difficult to purchase anymore home theater stuffeven with OT at work. JTR is always who i read about in all my groups and forums mentioning how potent they are and with a possible opportunity to try one out it would be a fantastic addition into my livingroom/home theater. I believe it would be able to keep up nicely with my klipsch reference II speakers.

dcsalling

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer SC-05
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP-S3700
Front Speakers
Paradigm Monitor 11 V7
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm Monitor Center 1
Surround Speakers
Paradigm Monitor Atom V7
Subwoofers
Paradigm PW2200 V2
Other Speakers or Equipment
Pioneer Elite DV-46av
Video Display Device
Sharp 70" 4k
Remote Control
Harmony 700
Nothing beats the ability to move a bunch of air, adds "jump factor". Subwoofers are the most fun of any home theater, especially when you are sure the house is going to fall apart around you.
Thanks for the opportunity to win something that I cannot afford on my own.

Scalpem23

Registered
More  
Marantz SR-6010
Samsung BD-6300
Front Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelves
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
Polk RM6700
Front Height Speakers
SVS Elevations
Subwoofers
Polk DSW Pro400
Screen
Samsung UNHU8550 4k (non-hdr)
Streaming Subscriptions
Ac Infinity 120mm fans, Monster Power Conditioner
The JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT Subwoofer Giveaway Entry Thread
full?d=1495407784.png
AV NIRVANA is thrilled to partner with JTR Speakers for an exciting Giveaway Promotion Announcement! Over the next three months, AV NIRVANA members can enter to win one of the industry’s elite subwoofer models: JTR’s Captivator 118HT. There are ways for members to achieve more than one entry into this contest, so read on!

JTR Speakers is widely recognized for its audiophile grade speakers and subwoofers, all of which are handcrafted with high quality materials right here in the USA. The company has given us one of it’s Captivator 118HT subwoofers to review, and once the review is finished the sub will find its way into the home of one lucky AV NIRVANA member. This is an incredible opportunity to land truly impactful subwoofer performance in your home!

The Captivator 118HT is an elegant heavy hitter, weighing in at a whopping 129-pounds and standing nearly three feet tall (30” H x 20” W x 22.5” D). It utilizes a bass reflex design paired with a custom 18-inch driver and a DSP optimized 700 Watt amplifier for bone rattling performance capable of dipping below 17Hz in a typical room. Shunning standard MDF, the Captivator 118HT’s heavily braced cabinet is constructed with 18mm 13-ply Baltic Birch plywood. It also features a magnetically attached grill, and an amp plate with multiple controls (Gain, LF Adjust, Crossover, Delay), a 12 volt trigger, RCA and XLR connections, and an On/Auto/Off power selector.

Click here for more information about JTR Speakers and the Captivator 118HT sub.

How to Enter
  1. You must be a registered member on AV NIRVANA (click here to register)
  2. Respond below and tell us what appeals to you about the JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT. Please include details and information about your current system and how the the 118HT will be integrated. Be specific!

Boost Your Entries

We’re offering members a simple way to gain more entries in the contest, automatically! Members with at least 100 posts on the forum by August 21, 2017 will gain TWO entries in the contest, and members with 1,000 posts will receive THREE automatic entries to win! This will be be an ongoing bonus that can be applied to all future Giveaway Promotions (for example, once a member reaches 100 posts on the forum, they will always receive an extra entry in all future contests). As the forum grows, we'll likely continue to expand this benefit, so stick around! It’s our way for saying “thank you” to members who are active in the community.

Contest Rules
The contest is for one JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT subwoofer (like-new review sample, value is $1599). The contest runs from 5/21/2017 until 11:59PM EST on 8/21/2017. Entrants must be a registered member of avnirvana.com. A winner will be drawn at random and announced during the week of 8/21/2017. The winner must reside in the Continental United States (Lower 48) to qualify for free ground shipping. Any winner living outside of the United States must arrange and pay for shipping via a US Forwarding Service (AV NIRVANA will provide shipping to a Continental US-based Forwarding Service, the winner is responsible for all taxes, fees, and shipping charges there after). Winners living outside of the United States will have 4 weeks to make Forwarding Service arrangements. Rules are subject to change without notice.

Ready to Enter? Respond below!
If you'd like to discuss this contest, please click here.

Thanks to all of our members for being part of our AV NIRVANA community! Good luck!

NOTICE: THIS IS THE QUALIFICATION THREAD ONLY - PLEASE GO HERE FOR DISCUSSION - THANKS!
My system is composed of 5 SVS speakers. The LCR and FH with the elevation speakers along with some polks as the rears. I have been eyeing the top sub makers like SVS, HSU, Dayton, Rhytmik, etc. my current sub is ok being a class D amp for Polk in the form of the dsw pro400. Only 8" of down firing sub that is limited to 130RMS and peak 300. I think a sub like JTR 118 would give me so much more room for my system to grown down the road. If you want a sub why not get the best instead of settling for just ok.

S2000 Nirvana

More  
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Additional Amp
Monster Power AVS 2000
4k-Blu Ray: Samsung UBD‑K8500 - PS3 -
Front Speakers
Definitive technology BP 10
Center Channel Speaker
CLR 2000
Surround Speakers
Definitive technology UIW BP/A in ceiling rears
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive technology BPX
Subwoofers
Captivator 118HT
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
My impressions with the sub ( Cap 118HT) in the in the last 24 hours have blown me away.

My buddy made me some demo blu rays to really get a feel of the performance. It was the ultimate bass demo volume 1 and 2. Also provided 2015 bass demo, atmos and 2016 real wood surround. My Samsung 4K player could not play them but the PS3 did just fine. Real wood surround would not work on the PS3 and may need to run from my laptop. Eager to see those demos for the wood surround. i have probably gone through the 25% of the demos and just looking for time to go through them all.
eek.gif

Flight of the Phoenix - This was amazing to see and hear. I felt during that scene I was a passenger on that plane. It seemed like the air from the port mimicked the air coming through the plane when the rear severed. The propeller and rumble from the plane was felt through my couch and it wasn't just the rumble it was like the motor of the plane was right next to me.

Hulk - My young boys really enjoyed this one. When he bursted out of that window the look I got from my boys was like what just happened. I told them I brought the hulk home. Some fear set in and they both jumped next to me. The pulsating wave cannons were on a different level. My sister stopped and said you do realize some countries have something similar to torture people. I immediately though most AVS bass heads in here would be smiling from ear to ear.

War of the worlds - Unexpected great bass demo as I didn't feel this watching this movie years ago. The part where the jet flew over the tank was insane. It was like the jet was flying right over us and felt the quick bass...it felt heavy. Really cool effect. The lightning and basement scene really scared my boys and they were under their Star Wars blankets...lol

Honorable mention 28 Days...when they bombed the city it was just a different dynamic from all of the other movies. This sub has different effects for different movies and that will keep me engaged for all the movies that I now need to rewatch.

Atmos demo. I don't have an atoms setup or AVR that supports it yet. This sub was definitely the better choice for my current upgrade hands down and not even close.
The demos still played well. The Game of thrones scene where the green sauce ...i don't remember the name...blew up the majority of incoming boats was really cool.
The stars wars video game was very cool for my boys. They could not take their focus away from that demo. My youngest son the night before made my night. He asked if they can play all their games in surround sound with the sub....lol
smile.gif
I think this will pay dividends and extra Daddy points.

Interstellar - This just isn't a fair fight...simply ridiculous. It was getting late last night and finally stumbled on this one. I had the Volume at -30 db and my whole living area was shaking...I had to go way above 40 just to keep it down since it was late . I knew I was in for something in the morning. I played it a -10 and told the boys to hunker down. We felt that we were blasting off in the rocket..simply amazing! Definitely top 5 when I demo for friends and family.

Another surprise was the music. We played Enrique Iglesias from the atmos demo..Bailando. What I will say is that the sub is front and center for movies and the star of the show however the effects of the other speakers work really well. I was wondering if it had same feel for music which I didn't want. I was surprised that the sub actually blended well with music. It was more like all the speakers worked together and the sub didn't overwhelm the music. I will test out more music and different genres to get a better feel. Very happy with both movies and music.

I can't speak for all ported subs and different companies, but this JTR ported sub is more than I will ever need. I think I may need to be examined if I ever added a 2nd sub. Its certainly more than enough for my application. My room is roughly 18x 18 with an open floor plan that opens to the dining and kitchen. Vaulted ceilings leading up to the stairs. The bass I'm getting from this sub feels large. From the steps you feel from the Balrog in LOTR fellowship or the 50 cal shooting at hulk is what I've been looking for and at times wondered if possible. It's met and exceeded my expectation in that regard. I've also learned that ported was the way to go for me because of the movies. I would love to hear proper sealed subs for music just to see the difference. For me the tactile feel is a must for movies . In closing I have gone from standard definition to 4K so to speak with upgrading subs!!
biggrin.gif

2nd impressions with a recent get together with friends from work were nothing short of amazing. Steak, drinks, good friends and of course great music and surround with mind blowing bass!

Edge of tomorrow - The first 20 seconds of this movie was just crazy...I had to remove my lamp as it was shaking uncontrollably and was going to drop to the ground off the sub. The amount of air pushed in this scene is just awesome. Santa Ana winds visiting Vegas that night. The air was felt below and above the couch. The battle on the beach was pretty intense as well.

The return of the king - the scene where the ring goes into the lava was amazing and heard things I have never heard in lord of the rings and I have watched those movies countless times. My buddies stopped and just looked at each other several times, paused and them looked my direction with a startled look. The fear set in a few times and they jumped with a few different bass demos. They just couldn't believe the amount of power this sub was capable of and only running the gain at 12 o'clock. I now know what a few in here mean about the fear setting in now myself. Now my fear more than the earth shaking bass is my structure, dry wall, windows and ear drums and I'm not even kidding about that. I don't know what realm in nebula I would have to be in to consider a dual setup for cap 118s but I guess this forum would be that realm because that would be the only way I can do that from a cost prospective.

Running duals would be be crazy but certainly would get a more even base response across my living area and more importantly spread the tactile response near the front sound stage. I have my cap 118 wedged in a rear left corner hidden so the wife cannot see it and would run the 2nd sub potentially in the front right so they would be diagnol. If I somehow wake up and won this giveaway I would shell out some funds to Jeff at JTR to customize the cabinet to white and match my entertainment center for the WAF. I will post some photos of how I have hidden this beast.

By the way I'm the owner of the Demo 118HT from the get together from Southern California. I believe the sub in the facebook video is the one I now own and drove to socal to get it! Hopefully I'm able to make the next get tohether as I missed the previous one.

Last edited:

Aundudel

I have been looking and following JTR as a company for a while now because of all the great impressions and reviews they get across all forums. They have always been out of my reach because of the price. But I never thought I would ever have the chance to own any sort of their equipment until I saw this contest! If I was so lucky I would use this beast of a sub with my almost ancient no name HTIB which are on their last legs now. And maybe as a bonus it could even blast my annoying neighbors out of their house! :)

Last edited:

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
If I win this jackpot of a raffle the JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT subwoofer would likely be placed in my living room setup. My first floor of the house is open floor plan. I currently am running an older DefTech 8 inch sub in my 5.1 Polk RTIA living room setup. I have been meaning to upgrade the subwoofer but it just has not been a priority lately financially. The JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT subwoofer I feel would be perfect to help properly pressurize the open floor plan with LFE, and would be the perfect cost Free! :rubeyes:
See pictures below of room/floorplan.

Attachments

• DSC_0740a.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0741a.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Indy

Longtime lurker but have learned a lot from reading different forums. I have a pair of Diysoundgroup speakers that are really good in the mid and eventually I was going to build a sub. Based on specs/reviews,the Cap 118 would be a match made in heaven.

j_brow004

More  
denon avr x4100w
Main Amp
emotiva xpa 2 gen 2
Additional Amp
emotiva xpa 3 gen 2
lg network blu-ray disc player
Front Speakers
paradigm studio 100 v5
Center Channel Speaker
paradigm studio cc 690 v5
Surround Speakers
paradigm studio adp 590 v5
2) 2.1 h/k 3490, paradigm studio 60 v5, hsu uls mk
Video Display Device
lg 60 uhd 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
3}marantz sr5011, paradigm prestige 15b, svssb2000
Hello AV NIRVANA,

Thank you for hosting this contest for a JTR captivator 118HT. I have been considering Jeff’s JTR subs for my room for several weeks. I like the looks of the sealed captivator S1 and the output of the Captivator 1400. I also am considering the upgraded finishes available on JTR subs including the automotive(custom) and veneer. Having an opportunity to win one and try it in my space is fantastic. Thank you so very much To Jeff and His team. One of the reasons I am considering purchasing from JTR is a review I read from the Jman.

Quote”

In the interest of full disclosure... when it came time to return the Captivator S1 I simply couldn't do it, so I bought the review unit. I found it fit my needs so well that I didn't want to part with it. The number of times I felt compelled to purchase something I had for eval can be counted on one hand, with a few fingers left over. This turned out to be one of the rare instances where that voice in the back of my head said "hold on to this one", so I did.

-Jim

I have recently added bass traps and 4a alpha panels to my space and 242 cloud panels to the ceiling see attached pictures. I would think 1 JTR cap1400 or Cap S1 would do well in this Space. The Cap 118HT in the base finish would have to be placed where it measures the best. I am currently using REW to find the best location for a sub or 2. Thanks again for offering the JTR Captivator 118HT AV NIRVANA!

IMG_1028.jpg IMG_1036.jpg

wwlearp

Reproducing deep bass seems an excellent way to enhance any movie or music experience. I remember a few times attending acoustic (non-amplified) performances, such as the US Air Force Band, and my remembrance of those performances so long ago, was the felt component; that is, the memory of the music has faded, but the memory of the feeling in the chest and body remains. And it was not any reflection of it being so loud as to require earplugs! Alas, my current system is nowhere near adequate to support such a monster; being just a pair of self-powered M-Audio BX5 D2's. Should such a gem find its way to me, I'll have to hook it up once, in spite of any spouse's objections, just in the spirit of testing of course! Then it'll find its way to the youth groups attempt to convert a medium-large room to a multimedia center. There it would shine so much better, and affect a lot more people than just I.

DrDyna

More  
MiniDSP 10x10 / Denon x6200W
Main Amp
MiniDSP PWR-ICE 250 / Carver AV-806x
Additional Amp
Behringer EP-2000 / NU4-6000 / 3000 DSP
Other Amp
Crest Pro 9200
Sony X800
Front Speakers
DIY Acoustic Elegance TD10m / Beyma TPL-200/h
Center Channel Speaker
DIYSG Fusion 15 for cinema LCR
Surround Speakers
(New builds coming soon)
Surround Back Speakers
(New builds coming soon)
Subwoofers
B&C 21SW152 single fold tapped horns
UM15-22 BR 17hz / TC Sounds Epic12 OD-ML-TL / SI18
Remote Control
Android device
Streaming Subscriptions
So much junk.
Well, hello fellas!

I've had the pleasure of spending time with tesseract on a couple of occasions for a listen at whatever I have cooked up at the moment. Good beer drinking, and good fun! I've been an avid diy'er for many years, and for purely financial reasons, there's still room in my house for people to exist :)

As for my system and how I'd use it...that's a tough question. I'm always changing things around, but more than likely it would end up behind my screen wall. We're in the process of moving right now, but I'll be building a new media room area at the new place. I will be building several sets of speakers for the new area once it's complete. I have a pair that are half done right now that will incorporate a Heil amt and an as of yet undecided midwoofer that will definitely need some subwoofage once it's complete. I have a lot of irons in the fire right now, and more subs are always welcome!

I should also add that I have never owned a complete subwoofer made by another company.

Joel Green

Registered
I'm looking for a good sub to complement my KH120s which I use for monitoring in my home studio. The JTR 118 looks like a powerful addition with great frequency response which would be very helpful in really feeling the full power of my mixes. Good luck to everyone!

bkeeler10

More  
NAD T758 v3
Main Amp
Outlaw Model 7125
Oppo BDP-103/Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
Revel Concerta2 F36
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta2 F36
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Surround Back Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Front Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Rear Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Subwoofers
Rythmik F18 (2)
miniDSP 2x4
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-RS440
Screen
Seymour AV retractable 110" 2.35 AR (UF material)
Well, after reading Dennis' review of this beast, I'm even more interested in it. I value a good, tight, controlled sound for bass, along with the power and extension into the subsonic region.

After a very long wait, I will be getting the opportunity to have a dedicated space in my home, within about six months from now. Coinciding with the completion of that room will be an all-new A/V system from the ground up. I'm very much looking forward to it, and that system has been in the planning stage for a very long time. I have had my eye on a quartet of sealed subs for the new room, given my preferences for controlled bass and the ability to dig down well below 20 Hz (with room gain, which I should have quite a bit of). However, the idea of trying this sub intrigues me, especially after having read the review that suggests that this sub is not a one-boom wonder, but is very musical.

So if I were to win this sub, it would be used in my new system, along with at least one more of them to help even out and normalize in-room response across several seating positions. It is quite possible that two of them would have the output that the four subs I had planned for this space would have had, which is a bonus.

Looking forward to the announcement of the winner. Good luck to all (with a bit of extra luck to me haha!)

Femi

Registered
I use to own 4 of the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU. They were amazing. My family room sc-07 pioneer, (2)Klipsch KLF-20, and Samsung HL72A650.

Thanks
Femi

Ian Eales

VIP Supporter
More  
marantz NR1711
LG BP335W Region Free
Front Speakers
RS Minimus 7
Center Channel Speaker
RS Minimus 7 x 2 wired in series
Surround Speakers
RS Minimus 7
Surround Back Speakers
TEAC LS-MC85
Subwoofers
Martin Logan 2x 800x
Triamped Eminent Tech LFT-8b music.
Screen
LG 65" OLED
Remote Control
TOO Many!
Other Equipment
VPI bricks, Transparent Link cables, De Mat Disc
Anything not made of MDF today gets my vote as obviously someone cares

BigCap

I've always coveted the huge driver subwoofers for sheer output but was always leery of articulation and "speed" issues with more classical and refined music choices. By all indications from the AV NIRVANA review, this doesn't seem to be a concern. Having said that, I'd also love to turn it up and find all the structural rattles in my duplex.

Lordlocks

Registered
More  
Denon avr1506
Xbox one
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Yamaha
Surround Speakers
Mtx
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch
Front Height Speakers
None
Rear Height Speakers
None
Subwoofers
Klipsch synergy 12
Video Display Device
Sony sh$;
Remote Control
Harmony 650
I have never owned any jtr products but my home theater is what keeps me alive and I have heard lots of talk about these subwoofers. I would love to add one to my theater and give it a work out.

Ozykz

Registered
What I like about the 118ht:

It's a decent size. Especially for it's output.
17hz? Incredible. And the maximum rms output is really high.

JTR makes incredible performing subwoofers at incredible prices.

In my usage case scenario I use it on a Digital Organ. It has frequencies that go down to 16hz. This sub would be absolutely perfect for that situation. If by some odd chance I win this, I would be in heaven.

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Hey hey hey!!! Today's the big day. Come on fellows, can't win it you don't enter & this is your last chance!

ShpongleDMT

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR 1913
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology 8060HD
Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000