DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
I understand the different target curves, can hear the differences between but have a couple questions.

How does Audiolense determine 0 DB when faced with various room modes exaggerating bass response over treble?

So, for example I have several room modes / dips in bass that go up and down by as much as 10 - 15 db.. Around 50, 80, 110. I think this is fairly common.

As a result the higher frequency must all be raised to "keep up" with the bloated bass measurements, or I can lower the target to what I consider my 0 DB reference level?

Any best practice guidelines in this situation?
Thanks

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You mean the baseline that dip lifting etc is measured against?This baseline is made per driver/speaker as a sort of mean deviation from the target. Each octave is given the same weight in the estimation process. The dip lift limit works pretty well most of the time, but there are situations where it prevents correction where correction is due.

The recommended approach in those situations is to increase the dip-lifting limit until everything you want to correct is corrected. You can still limit the correction of narrow dips if you want to, by shortening the measurement & correction window if you want to.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Thanks for explanation.
I think I phrased my question incorrectly, and it is simpler than this.

With AL should lowering target help with dip-lifting correction, since less lift is required, or is this simply a try and see what you like kind of thing (which is what I've been doing)?

I've tried various target levels with the following 5.1 measurements which are all over the place in lower frequencies. I've found that small changes in the target height / slope will impact many of the simulations and resulting sound.

With target similar to this one, the frequency simulations are very smooth except for around that 70-80hz dip (I like very much how it sounds), and the TTD, Step response simulations are not really perfect, but pretty decent.

As side note, my system sounds better than ever, and I could not achieve these results with Dirac. It takes a bit of work, but there is a clarity I've never had.

Target.jpg

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
The level of the target makes no difference to Audiolense. But sometimes it is useful to level it with the measurement ... for target design purposes as you do here. When the correction is generated, the correction filter with the most lboosted frequency iis adjusted to max out at -1dB and all other filters are adjusted accordingly.

The -1 dB is to prevent clipping digital clipping.

Top Bottom