Step response

Can someone tell me what the better step response is? (see screenshot)
-the purple one with a higher step?
-the green one that passes through the zero point earlier?

Attachments

• 2023-03-11.png
    2023-03-11.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 75

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
These are both very good. They seem to have a somewhat different frequency in the decay. So I would guess to see a difference in low frequency extension between the two. I take it green is the target and pink is the left simulated response? If the simulation is based on a listening position measurement it is extremely good looking.

Both are step response targets. I turned off the simulations.
I was just wondering which is more important; a high step or a rapid descent.
But it's not that simple, I understand.

Omid

Both are step response targets. I turned off the simulations.
I was just wondering which is more important; a high step or a rapid descent.
But it's not that simple, I understand.
I think the way to look at it is that these curves are the ideal step responses given your target. It’s a math function that derives the computed step response if your speakers delivered all frequencies with the same exact latency, and at the volume set by your target for each frequency.

I would think shaping your target for a certain frequency response would be more productive than aiming for a preferred step response.

You're absolutely right, Omid; the frequency target is of course the most important, but small changes in the extremes of the frequency target curve may be less audible, but will affect the step response. For example, by refraining from extra amplification in the bass.
Unfortunately, the simulated step response doesn't look as neat as the target in the attachment ;~(
I still have a lot to learn.

Top Bottom