SPL Level "Over" UMIK-1

Windsock

Registered
Hi There,

i have recently connected a UMIK-1 mic to REW with a particular interest in the SPL module. when i am measuring sound levels of the ~90dBa range (~100-105dBC) i start getting the "Over" warning appear. i also notice that the levels meters are showing very close to 0 (i.e peaking). is this usual given that the UMIK-1 apparently has a maximum SPL of 133dB? what is the "Over" warning telling me? in the help file it states that it is indicating the sound card input range is being exceeded, ut this doesn't match with the 133dB mic spec? i have installed the calibration file for the mic, and independently checked the SPL levels with an (old and possibly poorly calibrated) handheld SPL meter, so i am fairly confident that i am not in an environment of 133dB!

thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It depends what you have set the input volume to. An input volume setting of 1.0 for the UMIK (for example) applies 24 dB of gain to the data, so it will clip much earlier.

Windsock

Registered
thats great thanks. i had missed this setting. i will try next time i am with the same local SPLs.

thanks again

Top Bottom