Sony Shrinks Its 4K SXRD Panel, Launches Three New XW Series 4K Laser Projectors

full?d=1651331878.png

(April 29, 2022) Sony has blown the doors off a rather quiet month of reveals by launching three new exciting home theater projectors. Leveraging its all-new SXRD 0.61” panel, the world's smallest native 4K 3840 x 2160 panel, Sony’s engineers have shrunken the overall size of the bread and butter models of its projector lineup. It's also officially eliminated the use of lamp-based technologies, opting for a blue laser+phosphor light source with a 20,000-hour lifespan.

"We're excited to debut these compact, high-brightness laser projectors, with a new design that creates flexibility and options for consumers with today's variety of home media viewing rooms and differing lighting needs,” said Tyler Ishida, President of Consumer Business Group, Sony Electronics Inc. “These new models showcase our continued commitment to products that provide extraordinary experiences while increasing value to the consumer with every generation.”

In a segment that traditionally features large and bulky equipment, Sony’s latest panel innovation has paved the way for the most compact native 4K-capable projectors on the planet. The all-new VPL-XW7000ES and VPL-XW6000ES are both 20% smaller and 30% lighter than the older VPL-XW915ES, and the new VPL-5000ES is 30% smaller and 35% lighter. Those kinds of reductions make for easier handling during installs, particularly considering ceiling mount applications, but also reduce environmental impacts by minimizing production and packaging materials.

Pricing-wise, Sony’s new laser-equipped offerings are competitively positioned against both JVC and Epson laser models which start at $11,000 and $4,000, respectively. Priced at $27,999, the VPL-XW7000ES is the most expensive of the trio, with the VPL-XW6000ES ($11,999) and VPL-XW5000ES ($5,999) landing in much friendlier budget territories. Those prices are slightly reduced as compared to the models they’re replacing, which include the laser-based VPL-VW1025ES and VPL-VW915ES. Sony’s also phasing out its VPL-VW715ES, VPL-VW325ES, and VPL-HW65ES lamp-based projectors.

All three new models utilize Sony’s X1 Ultimate for Projector processor which, until now, has been exclusively reserved for the company’s flagship VPL-GTZ380 model ($80,000). This processor enables unique features like Dynamic HDR Enhancer for a better HDR impact during bright and dark scenes. It also offers Object-based Super Resolution for more powerful real-time picture processing that analyses objects of each frame for enhanced High Dynamic Rendering.

The VPL-XW7000ES sports 3,200lm of brightness and a new 70mm diameter Advanced Crisp Focused (ACF) lens with an aspherical front element and floating focus system. The VPL-XW6000ES dials back brightness to 2,500 lm of brightness, and the entry-level VPL-XW5000ES delivers 2,000lm of performance. All three models achieve 95% reproduction of the DCI-P3 color gamut while offering native compatibility with HDR10 and HLG HDR. HDR10+ compatibility is notably absent, as is 3D support on the VPL-XW5000ES.

Surprisingly, all three carry HDMI 2.0b connectivity. This delivers support for HDCP 2.3, an input lag reduction mode that’s specified to deliver 27ms lag with 4K/60Hz signals and 13ms lag with 2K/120Hz signals. It does, however, eliminate support for 4K/120Hz gaming, Auto Low Latency Mode, Variable Refresh Rates, and G-Sync, each of which are key HDMI 2.1 features reserved for hardcore gamers.

Sony says the VPL-XW5000ES and VPL-XW6000ES will be available in either black or white, while the VPL-XW7000ES can only be purchased in black. Release dates are currently projected to be mid-June 2022.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Interesting...been quite awhile since I've seen a Sony projector with my own eyes. Now that we've entered the laser realm, how are their black levels comparing to JVC? And tone-mapping?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Very good questions... we'll have to wait for the review guys to get their hands on them. My understanding is that JVC's laser PJs have a slight uptick in blacks. So, perhaps Sony will be the same?

I'd have to dig a bit further on specifics, but these new PJs all have dynamic tone mapping onboard. It's a real shame they lack HDMI 2.1. For me, wouldn't be an issue, but that's going to be a deal breaker for gamers!

Robert Zohn

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz AV8802A
Main Amp
Marantz MM8077
Additional Amp
Marantz MM7055
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Front Speakers
Sony AR2 floor standing ES speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Sony SS-NA8ES
Surround Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18
OPPO UDP-205
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-65A1E, LG C7, Sony VPL-VW5000ES projector
Screen
Da-Lite 133" fixed w/motorized masking
Remote Control
MX-990
Streaming Subscriptions
Matantz PM10, Marantz SA10, Technics SL-1200G TT
Great threat and love your very accurate and informative opening post!

HDMI 2.1 only effect gamers who are playing 4K 120Hz games.

Sony's new VPL-XW5000Es and the 6000ES and 7000ES can do 4K @60Hz and 120Hz at 2k resolution. So if you are gaming with a 120Hz game you can quickly switch between 2k @120Hz and 4K @60Hz to see which gaming experience you prefer. This limitation is only for 4K 120Hz games and nothing else.

I had the pleasure of seeing Sony's new XW500ES and the 6000XW and 7000XW in person at Sony's NYC March 17th press conference and a private meeting after the press conference.

Robert Zohn

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz AV8802A
Main Amp
Marantz MM8077
Additional Amp
Marantz MM7055
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Sony SS-NA8ES
Surround Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18
OPPO UDP-205
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
MX-990
Streaming Subscriptions
We'll have Sony's very first allocations/shipments of the VPL-XW5000ES, XW6000ES, and the XW7000ES Native 4K HDR Projectors.

The VPL-XW5000ES will arrive the end of May and end of June for the 6000 and 7000.

daddio77

More  
Marantz AV8805
Main Amp
Parasound A52+
Additional Amp
Marantz MM8077
Panasonic UB9000, Sony UHP-H1
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology BP9060
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS9080
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RS-42 ll
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RP-160
Front Height Speakers
Sonance Mag Series 8"
Rear Height Speakers
Sonance MAG Series 8"
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-112SW Qty 2
Video Display Device
Sony VLP-VW715ES
Screen
135" 16:9 Elite Screen
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, Fire Stick
I can't wait to see these in action. I think they've even added an IMAX ENHANCED mode to the picture settings. I just wish there was a way to access Sony’s Bravia Core so we could really take advantage. Now I have to find a buyer for my 715 so I upgrade.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I can't wait to see these in action. I think they've even added an IMAX ENHANCED mode to the picture settings. I just wish there was a way to access Sony’s Bravia Core so we could really take advantage. Now I have to find a buyer for my 715 so I upgrade.

Upgradeitis… it’s real!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Great threat and love your very accurate and informative opening post!

HDMI 2.1 only effect gamers who are playing 4K 120Hz games.

Sony's new VPL-XW5000Es and the 6000ES and 7000ES can do 4K @60Hz and 120Hz at 2k resolution. So if you are gaming with a 120Hz game you can quickly switch between 2k @120Hz and 4K @60Hz to see which gaming experience you prefer. This limitation is only for 4K 120Hz games and nothing else.

I had the pleasure of seeing Sony's new XW500ES and the 6000XW and 7000XW in person at Sony's NYC March 17th press conference and a private meeting after the press conference.
Did your eye see any bump (degradation) in black levels?

Robert Zohn

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz AV8802A
Main Amp
Marantz MM8077
Additional Amp
Marantz MM7055
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Sony SS-NA8ES
Surround Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18
OPPO UDP-205
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
MX-990
Streaming Subscriptions
@Todd Anderson, from what I could tell at Sony's presentation/demo the blacks were very deep and detailed.

Sony's launch dates are pushed back several weeks so it's mid-end June for the VPL-XW5000ES and mid-end July for the VPL-XW6000 and XW7000ES.

natty

It is great to see Sony getting aggressive against JVC in terms of pricing. Hopefully it is also in terms of performance. Will be very interesting to see the measurements. I am 100% convinced that in some use cases, the Sony will definitely win, hands down. And wouldn't it be cool if the Sony lineup ends up being the better choice in most situations, dethroning JVC?

The 5000ES in particular is going to be right there in the ballpark of the Epson laser and JVC bulb unit....lacking automated/motorized lens adjustment, but for people with a 16x9 screen, that's probably a non issue.

I'll guess that the JVC still has better tone mapping, since the JVC takes into account the nits output in the room and maps to that, whereas the Sony has a generic engine that assumes an SDR max output, and tone maps the highlights to that. But I'll be happy to be proved wrong, if Sony has updated their algorithm to allow the user to adjust based on room conditions and actual level off the screen.

I'm guessing some people will eschew the Epson because it's "not true 4k" even though its largely imperceptible. And that some people will eschew the JVC because it is a lamp (ewwww) while ignoring that the lamp generates wider native color and contrast.....

But perhaps the biggest unknown which we won't know for a while: Sony got out the commercial 4k SXRD cinema market a while back, because of premature panel degradation. Domestic projectors get used far fewer hours, but the Sony in home SXRD panels had similar problems for some users. I sure hope that part of this new tech they are using has solved that issue. Otherwise, the 20k hour to half output spec may not be the ultimate limiting factor for some people.

Robert Zohn

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz AV8802A
Main Amp
Marantz MM8077
Additional Amp
Marantz MM7055
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Sony SS-NA8ES
Surround Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18
OPPO UDP-205
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
MX-990
Streaming Subscriptions
We'll have Sony's new VPL-XW5000ES and the XW6000ES and XW7000ES on display in our store demo theater by early July if not sooner.

Top Bottom