Dynaudio Excite
Subwoofers
4x SVS SB-12 NSD
Video Display Device
Sony VPL-HW45
Screen
Stumpfl
Hi guys,

I am using REW for a while now and successfully optimized low-end frequencies in my HT in combination with the awesome MSO multi-subwoofer optimization tool. I take measurements @about 75db as recommended, however, I am wondering if the sine sweep can potentially damage tweeters because the sweep concentrates complete energy at a single frequency at a time while real music or e.g. pink noise distributes energy across a wide range. Is it safe to run sweeps up to 20kHz? If yes, is there a maximum length of the sweep that should not be exceeded? By the way, is it correct that REW internally sweeps up to the double of the configured frequency?

Thanks for your help!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
There’s no danger of frying the tweeter during a full-range sweep, especially if it’s done at a reasonable volume. In the 12-13 years I’ve been involved with REW on various forums, I’ve never heard a report of anyone blowing a tweeter during a measurement.

Regards,
Wayne

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The log sweep progresses at a constant time per octave so it gets faster as frequency increases - it takes the same time to go from 10 kHz to 20 kHz as it does to go from 20 Hz to 40 Hz. Because of that it has a pink frequency profile, dropping at 10 dB/decade or about 3 dB per octave as frequency increases. The longer the sweep the more energy is delivered of course, so risk increases with sweep length, but whether any particular sweep length or level poses a risk to your tweeters is probably a question for your speaker manufacturer. It is unlikely for sweeps at a comfortable listening level, but not impossible.

The generated sweep goes to twice the measurement end frequency, or to half the sample rate, whichever is lower.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
There’s no danger of frying the tweeter during a full-range sweep, especially if it’s done at a reasonable volume. In the 12-13 years I’ve been involved with REW on various forums, I’ve never heard a report of anyone blowing a tweeter during a measurement.

Regards,
Wayne

Wayne didn’t someone complain to @John Mulcahy about wanting some kind of protection built in because he fried his speakers with an overly loud sweep? I feel like that is how that feature was added.

In any case I’ve not really heard of it happening either, but i certainly think it’s possible if someone isn’t careful.

Now the Stepped Sine distortion test! That can blow a tweeter if you aren’t careful.

Frank Lautenbach

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
miniDSP 2x4
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-V781
Front Speakers
Dynaudio Excite
Center Channel Speaker
Dynaudio Excite
Surround Speakers
Dynaudio Excite
Subwoofers
4x SVS SB-12 NSD
Video Display Device
Sony VPL-HW45
Screen
Stumpfl
Hi John, thanks for your answer - it's pretty clear now. When you say "comfortable listening level" I guess you mean about 75db as recommended? What about the sweep length? I would assume the longer the sweep the better the resolution in frequency, correct? Or is it just about improving SNR with longer sweeps?

My speakers are Dynaudio Excite series - AFAIK they have a very good reputation when it comes to robustness of tweeters so I guess I don't have to worry about it that much.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hi John, thanks for your answer - it's pretty clear now. When you say "comfortable listening level" I guess you mean about 75db as recommended? What about the sweep length? I would assume the longer the sweep the better the resolution in frequency, correct? Or is it just about improving SNR with longer sweeps?

My speakers are Dynaudio Excite series - AFAIK they have a very good reputation when it comes to robustness of tweeters so I guess I don't have to worry about it that much.
Dynaudio has very robust tweeters with very high power handling. I would not be overly concerned.

I have been doing sweep based measurements for 15 years or more on 100’s of speakers and I’ve never damaged a speaker in my life.

Top Bottom