Setting up REW Preferences Soundcard Page

Rylan

On the REW Preference Sound-card page, I am having an issue with my Output showing “Not Connected” I’ve spent a couple hours trying to figure it out with no success. How do I fix this?

I also added the UMM-6 mic and the input gives me 2 options, a 6 1 or a 6 2. Which do I choose?
1705565084966.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not connected usually appears if you have selected a PC headphone output and nothing is plugged into it. Both channels of the UMM-6 have the same signal.

Rylan

Not connected usually appears if you have selected a PC headphone output and nothing is plugged into it. Both channels of the UMM-6 have the same signal

I do have the AVR selected, but when using the AISO driver it won't find any devices. I am able to see my PC desktop on my TV display. When I change the driver to Java, then i can see my AVR appear in the Output Device List. Should I assume it's not a connection issue with the AVR since i am able to establish connection when switching over to Java? Does it maybe have something to do with the AISO driver i had downloaded? This is all new to me so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

1705595121889.png

1705595212912.png

1705594894742.png

1705595002876.png

Attachments

• 1705594863317.png
    1705594863317.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 9

phofman

IMO there is no need to go device -> wasapi -> asio4all -> REW via ASIO instead of directly device -> REW via wasapi exclusive.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
@Rylan see this post that shows examples of the Java preference settings with the current REW version. ASIO/ASIO4ALL was used with the older REW version in order to do multi-channel measurements.

Rylan

@Jack1949 I appreciate the help. I knew nothing about audio or home theater a 1.5 years ago. I have since taken a big jump into home theater. In the last year I have opened up my walls and installed a 7.2.4 system in my basement and have 5 theater chairs set up. It took me a year and watching 100's of videos to get set up and understand all the hardware/ speakers. I am just now starting to dive into REW and measurements. I am trying to understand the basics of the initial setup. The only thing I have looked at so far is the AV NIRVANA REW Step-by-Step Guide up to page 30, and watched a few videos with Matthew Poes which are still too advanced until I start to understand the basics.

Should I not have downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver? Do I want to be able to do multi-channel measurements? I'm not even sure what running measurements look like at this point or the options surrounding them. I have no knowledge of how to run or set up REW. My hopes is to learn how to take measurements and improve the sound in the room. I'm spending a few hours every day reading guides and educating myself so I can understand running measurements. Should I only be running JAVA and forget about the ASIO4ALL? I am not sure which direction to go. I just want to make sure I am setting everything correctly from the start

Rylan

IMO there is no need to go device -> wasapi -> asio4all -> REW via ASIO instead of directly device -> REW via wasapi exclusive.

My understanding of REW and terminology at this point is very simplistic. Are you indicating that the current download of REW supports 7.1 on Windows using WASAPI exclusive mode already built in, and on the Soundcard tab all I would need to do is select "Java" under Drivers, and I will not need to download anything? Just simply select the Java Driver?

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Yes the current download of REW supports 7.1 on Windows using WASAPI exclusive mode already built in. On the Preferences panel you need to select the Java device and the EXCL Output Device for your AVR (shown below from you example above). This will allow you to do 7.1 multi-channel measurements. AustinJerry discusses this on page 42 of his getting started guide.
1705626156157.png

Other preference setting examples (screenshots) for the current REW version can be seen here. If you scoll down in that post you'll find REW Sound Preferences in Win 11
examples, something you had asked about in another thread.

I'm not an REW expert, I leave that to others who are. But I have been using it off and on for several years. I saved links to the posts that helped me transition from the previous REW version to the current, so I thought these would help you as well. With persistence you'll get this figured out.

Rylan

Yes the current download of REW supports 7.1 on Windows using WASAPI exclusive mode already built in. On the Preferences panel you need to select the Java device and the EXCL Output Device for your AVR (shown below from you example above). This will allow you to do 7.1 multi-channel measurements. AustinJerry discusses this on page 42 of his getting started guide.
View attachment 67629
Other preference setting examples (screenshots) for the current REW version can be seen here. If you scoll down in that post you'll find REW Sound Preferences in Win 11
examples, something you had asked about in another thread.

I'm not an REW expert, I leave that to others who are. But I have been using it off and on for several years. I saved links to the posts that helped me transition from the previous REW version to the current, so I thought these would help you as well. With persistence you'll get this figured out.
Thank you for this incredibly helpful information. Sounds like there isn’t a need for me to use an ASIO driver but just stick to Java. The windows 11 preferences are very helpful as well. Thank you again

Top Bottom