Setting Up REW for pre/post correction analysis in Pro Tools on Windows 11

stevegalante

Registered
Hello everyone,
I used to be able to make pre/post correction analysis with REW on Mac through an app called AudioHijack.
Now on Windows 11 I'm a bit lost...
I am using Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1 (HD Native card) on Windows 11, and REW 5.30.9.
What I want to do is :
- measure my speakers in my room with REW (done)
- make a calibration correction with IK Multimedia ARC4 (done)
- measure the ARC4 corrected room response with REW.
How do I setup this ?
Basically I need to send the sweep tone through the correction software and measure the result with REW.
I also have Audiomovers Inject if this can help.
Thank you in advance

John Mulcahy

REW Author
One admittedly clumsy way to do it would be to use the file playback measurement option and play the sweep file from some app that gets routed through ARC.

stevegalante

Registered
The problem seems to be that both REW and the app (like Pro Tools in my case or another daw) must be open at the same time in order to make the measurement.
If I have ProTools open REW cannot access the Asio AVID Driver and viceversa. But there must be a workaround for this...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That would require a multi-client ASIO driver. It is possible this old workaround might function, or you could try FlexASIO if the interface has other drivers for Windows. REW includes a control panel for FlexASIO.

stevegalante

Registered
It seems FlexASIO can be selected on both the app (ProTools) and REW... let's see if I can figure out how to set these up.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
FlexASIO uses a config file. REW can set that file up, using the ASIO control panel button on the soundcard preferences, but the interface you want to use with it must have drivers other than ASIO.

stevegalante

Registered
FlexASIO uses a config file. REW can set that file up, using the ASIO control panel button on the soundcard preferences, but the interface you want to use with it must have drivers other than ASIO.
The interface I am using is a Lynx Aurora (n), which supports many drivers apparently.
For some reason it seems I cannot put links here in this post... anyways if you go into the Lynx website,
then Support / Downloads / Aurora / Driver you can see all of them.
The thing is that the interface is connected via an Avid HD Native card (not USB, no Thunderbolt), so I'm not sure if I am forced to use the Avid ASIO driver and nothing else...

DanDan

Staff member
ProTools was originally a Mac Program...... Your task looks overwhelming to me. I have never bothered to try to measure my rig with Dirac Live included. Although I am curious.... now that you mention it....

sm52

I have never bothered to try to measure my rig with Dirac Live included. Although I am curious.... now that you mention it....
Ooo. Do you have Dirac Live and have never checked how it configured your speakers? Now you have a few months of happiness to do better than Dirac Live did. It's true, I'm not kidding.

stevegalante

Registered
ProTools was originally a Mac Program...... Your task looks overwhelming to me. I have never bothered to try to measure my rig with Dirac Live included. Although I am curious.... now that you mention it....
I am not necessarily linked to Pro Tools, I have other daws I can try (Studio One, Reaper, etc.).
The thing is that it doesn't make sense to just measure a room with Arc or Sonarworks and just see the results of their correction in their internal graph.
Or at least I don't trust them.
You need an external software like REW that can accurately measure before and after correction.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you use the file playback approach I mentioned to get the file to play through ARC you can connect a mic to any other interface you have around and capture the response in REW with that.

DanDan

Staff member
Ooo. Do you have Dirac Live and have never checked how it configured your speakers? Now you have a few months of happiness to do better than Dirac Live did. It's true, I'm not kidding.
Que? No comprendo! I am using it in a Professional Studio scenario. The improvement is very specifically targeted and the success is audible.

DanDan

Staff member
I am not necessarily linked to Pro Tools, I have other daws I can try (Studio One, Reaper, etc.).
The thing is that it doesn't make sense to just measure a room with Arc or Sonarworks and just see the results of their correction in their internal graph.
Or at least I don't trust them.
You need an external software like REW that can accurately measure before and after correction.
ProTools has never played nice with other interfaces or the OS. John's solution of Playing Back a Sweep and Recording the Speakers and Room should work nicely. I do this with Remote Clients.

stevegalante

Registered
ProTools has never played nice with other interfaces or the OS. John's solution of Playing Back a Sweep and Recording the Speakers and Room should work nicely. I do this with Remote Clients.
Please take me through the process' details if you can. Which daw are you using to playback the sweep (that can host plugins) and which drivers are you using that let you keep both rew and the daw open and properly working at the same time ? Thanks !

DanDan

Staff member
Please take me through the process' details if you can. Which daw are you using to playback the sweep (that can host plugins) and which drivers are you using that let you keep both rew and the daw open and properly working at the same time ? Thanks !
I don't usually do this myself, I just send a Sweep Wav to Remote Clients. But I intend to shortly, after I do a new Dirac Live Setup using an NTI 2230 Lab quality mic! The sweep file is generated by REW, or FuzzMeasure. Import the WAV or AIFF into any DAW and play normally. Record. Present both Sweep Wav and Room Recorded Wav to REW or Fuzz and it will analyse them together.

stevegalante

Registered
I don't usually do this myself, I just send a Sweep Wav to Remote Clients. But I intend to shortly, after I do a new Dirac Live Setup using an NTI 2230 Lab quality mic! The sweep file is generated by REW, or FuzzMeasure. Import the WAV or AIFF into any DAW and play normally. Record. Present both Sweep Wav and Room Recorded Wav to REW or Fuzz and it will analyse them together.
Ohhh that 's GREAT news ! I didn't know REW could analyse imported wav. That should solve all the problems at once, thank you so much !

Top Bottom