Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Other Equipment
DirecTV HR54/200
One thing I've noticed with the Shield, and I may have to spin this off in a different thread, is that it seems to me to actually look better than the AppleTV visually. We were watching Yellowstone last night on the ATV and for some reason it was suffering bandwidth issues so i switched to the Shield, which was not suffering from those issues. And we all thought that the video looked much better on the Shield. I'll have to research this further and spin this off.

As for my Plex server, it's working great! I know have 260 or so of my library up on it and looking at the movie shelf today, that's probably half the way through. Not sure if I'll rip every DVD or not as some of them aren't worthy of the effort.

thrillcat

Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva UPA-700
Other Amp
Jolida JD202BRC (2-channel system)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
eD Cinema6 MTM
Center Channel Speaker
eD Cinema6 MTM
Surround Speakers
Mission 77ds
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 77ds
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Definitive Technology BP20 (2-channel system)
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R
Screen
SeymourAV CenterStage UF 115"
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Other Equipment
ProJect Debut Carbon Turntable (2-channel system)
I'm at that "are these DVDs really worth ripping" stage, too. :) I have a lot of concert DVDs that have never been released on anything else, but they've also not been removed from my shelf to be watched very recently, either.

When I set up my server, I moved my ethernet switch from my theater rack to the server closet, which means now I only have a single ethernet cable into my theater. I had to make everything wi-fi except for the Plex client, until I get another switch for the theater rack. I have not noticed any image improvement with the Shield, however, I did end up signing into Netflix on the Shield, too, during our re-watch of Stranger Things seasons 1 and 2, because I think the AppleTV was throttling the image quality due to bandwidth on the wifi. I don't think I was getting the full UHD resolution of Season 2 via Wifi, and it looks great on the Shield.

I hadn't noticed any difference with the Plex content. The Shield also suffers a bit from not always telling the projector to switch back to SDR after watching HDR content. But being able to switch the Shield system output to 4K 23.98 has REALLY sped up the switching with my JVC projector. Now it only goes dark for about a second and a half when switching between HDR and SDR. It would take 7 or 8 seconds to switch both HDR/SDR and frame rate at the same time. So that's nice.

Top Bottom