Room curve questions

xcakez

Registered
So I got my psa v1812s about 2 weeks ago now I got a mini dsp 2x4hd last night and i started messing with a room curve I also thought these subs would have a little more extension considering them being 18s but is this to steep of a room curve or should I dial it back up a bit the subs time aligned where pretty flat it didnt have to add any decibels just had to take some out

chrapladm

Staff member
Looks like you have some sort of high pass in place. They seem to drop of around 22hz.

DanDan

Staff member
Looks pretty normal, close to the Harman 1dB per octave slope. How does it sound?
I am not a speaker expert but afaik speakers with a reflex port fall off a cliff at LF, while sealed boxes roll over very gracefully. I have measured totally clean 30Hz from NS10s. (Low level but well audible) What frequency does your REW sweep start at?

ELOJR

Registered
A bit off topic, but...when I searched minidsp 2x4 HD, this thread came up. Please feel free to point me elsewhere.

I just ran my first response curves yesterday on my two monitors + sub system so clearly I'm a real REW newbie. If I want to now apply EQ filters to compensate for issues (my response above 1kHz is remarkably flat; not so from 800Hz or so below...as expected... due to reflections and room nodes), do I get the minidsp 2x4 HD plug in?

Also, is there a place where I can find written instructions/video tutorials that will answer essential questions?

One that I have is...why is it recommended to measure just one of the two monitor speakers (range 70Hz and above) when I listen to both at once and both have unique interactions with the room? In all my years with SPL meters and the like, I've always measured with both mains running.

Thanks much!!!!!

ELOJR

Registered
I read through minidsp's description on the 2x4 HD and it looks as if it's a physical unit. If so, that's not what I want.

If possible, I'd like an on-Pc (Mac, in my case) software plugin that I can use to bring my measured response curve closer to an "ideal" target, and then use that to contour the audio signal outputted to me desktop speaker system.

Thomas Larsen

Registered
So I got my psa v1812s about 2 weeks ago now I got a mini dsp 2x4hd last night and i started messing with a room curve I also thought these subs would have a little more extension considering them being 18s but is this to steep of a room curve or should I dial it back up a bit the subs time aligned where pretty flat it didnt have to add any decibels just had to take some out View attachment 29212
Hi something is wrong. What mic are you using ? I use Umik-1 and using the 90 degree cal file loaded. Meassure at -12 dbfs and have the mic at 81 % in the windows setting. I use ASIO and not java. When I do flat on my V1800 subwoofer (some models prior to your 1812) I reach down to 14-15 hz before it rolls off. Have you followed the step by step guide - that can be found in Rew section here ? Also made 2 other config files for my minidsp 2x4hd - 3 in total. House curve is 100 to 30 hz going from 0 db to 8 db more or less and another one from 80 hz to 20 hz this time 0 db to 6 db. Just for the fun of it. Also make sure on the sub that the room compensate knob is at max / large otherwise the sub will not give you all output. So before playing with room curves - make sure you are able to get reading below 20 hz. Those subs are able to go below 20 hz !!

Top Bottom