Roku Delivers Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with Updated Ultra Streamer

full?d=1601317134.jpg

(September 28, 2020) Roku has announced two new products, including an update to its top-of-the-line Roku Ultra player, along with several interesting promotional campaigns. Ultra, a compact streaming device, ships with 50% more wireless range and onboard Bluetooth support. It's also fully compatible with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, while offering voice control conveniences through its remote control and both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant devices.

The company has also launched its new “Streambar,” a 32-inch soundbar device that houses a built-in 4K Roku player. At just 14.2-inches wide and 2.4-inches high, the Streambar is sized to be unobtrusive. The output from its four-driver configuration can be tweaked using onboard sound modes and add-on wireless speaker products such as the Roku Wireless Subwoofer.

For more information, including details about Roku’s current Pandora Premium, Apple TV+, and Showtime, Starz, and EPIX promotions, read the official press release (below).

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 28, 2020-- Roku, Inc. (NASDAQ: ROKU) today unveiled its new streaming lineup for the U.S. to include an all-new and redesigned Roku Ultra (MSRP $99.99) and the addition of the Roku® Streambar™ (MSRP $129.99). Roku Ultra offers the best performance of any Roku player for less than $100, and was specifically designed for avid streamers. For streamers looking to add powerful streaming and premium sound to any TV, the Roku Streambar is the easiest way for consumers to upgrade and de-clutter their home entertainment systems. In addition, Roku also announced Roku OS 9.4 in a separate announcement today.

Roku Streambar
“We are focused on delivering a variety of innovative, top-performing products at an incredible value to our customers so they can get to the content they care about quickly,” said Mark Ely, Vice President, Retail Product Strategy at Roku. “Our new streaming player lineup now includes reimagined streaming devices in the Roku Ultra and Roku Streambar – we continue to offer a great device no matter the use case our customers are looking for whether they are new to streaming or looking to add great sound and streaming to their home entertainment center.”

Roku Ultra
Roku Ultra remains the ultimate streaming player offering powerful, smooth streaming with channels that launch in a snap and our best wireless, now with up to 50% more range and Bluetooth® support. Stream in extraordinary Dolby Vision® picture quality and experience immersive Dolby Atmos® sound when you pair it with compatible devices. Inside the box is a Roku voice remote featuring TV power and volume controls, personal shortcut buttons, and headphones for private listening—it even has a lost remote finder—and now a High-Speed Premium HDMI® cable. Control the Roku Ultra by speaking to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant devices. Roku Ultra is perfect for cord cutters and people who love to stream. Features include:

• Power & performance: Loaded with a quad-core processor and channels that launch in a snap.
  • Our best wireless: Enjoy smoother streaming in rooms further from the router now with up to 50% more range.
  • Dolby Vision®: Enjoy favorite films or streaming series with spectacular color, contrast, brightness, and detail. Dolby Vision can deliver colors never-before seen on a screen paired with ultra-vivid picture quality which results in a refined, lifelike image.
  • Dolby Atmos®: Immersive entertainment with sound that moves all around with breathtaking realism. Sound recorded in stereo is limited to left and right channels. Sound mixed in Dolby Atmos allows a deeper connection to shows and movies.
  • Private listening: Use the included headphones to pump up the volume on your shows without disturbing the house.
  • Personal shortcuts: Simply give a voice command, then press and hold a personal shortcut button for one-touch access anytime.
Roku Streambar
Roku Streambar is the ultimate 2-in-1 entertainment upgrade with powerful streaming and premium sound for any TV with HDMI. Hear every detail as you stream in vibrant 4K HDR picture quality on 4K HDR compatible TVs. Crisp, clean audio makes dialogue easier to hear and, with its compact design, it fills the room with sound. Quiet loud commercials automatically. Control the Roku Streambar by speaking to Amazon Alexa and/or Google Assistant devices. Later this year, Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities are expected to begin roll out on select 4K Roku devices. With Apple AirPlay 2, customers can stream videos, music and more to the big screen, and with HomeKit, they can easily and securely control their Roku device using the Home app and Siri. Setup is simple with everything in the box, including one voice remote that controls your TV, sound, and streaming. Additional features include:

• America’s #1 TV streaming platform by hours streamed: Enjoy an easy to use and snappy experience with access to endless entertainment.
  • Big sound: Four internal speakers fill the room with rich Dolby Audio.
  • Smarter than the average soundbar: Advanced audio engineering within the Roku OS helps Roku Streambar produce sound well beyond its size while increasing speech clarity and adding intricate depth to music.
  • Simple sound settings: Simple volume modes make it easy to adjust sound. Automatically lower loud commercials, boost the volume of voices, and optimize the sound for night listening.
  • Easily expandable: Add deep, rich bass with Roku Wireless Subwoofer and immersive surround sound with Roku Wireless Speakers.
  • Spotify Connect: Spotify is available on the Roku platform and with Spotify Connect, easily launch a favorite playlist from a smartphone and listen through the Roku Streambar’s high performance speakers.
  • Bluetooth support: Easily stream music from mobile devices.
Adding Value Via Content Offers
  • Pandora Premium - Consumers who purchase a Roku device from September 25 – November 6th and redeem by November 8th, 2020 will be eligible for a 3-month trial of Pandora Premium. Pandora Premium gives users on-demand music, ad-free listening, and much more. Total value of $29.97.
  • Apple TV+ - Eligible customers who purchase and activate a Roku device from October 23, 2020 to January 31, 2021 will receive a promotional code to enjoy three months free of Apple TV+. This offer for Roku customers is available to new Apple TV+ subscribers only and must be redeemed by February 2, 2021. $4.99/month after free trial. One subscription per Family Sharing group. Plan automatically renews until cancelled.
  • SHOWTIME, STARZ + EPIX – Redeem the 30-day free trial available via The Roku Channel, good from now until October 4, 2020 with the purchase and activation of an eligible Roku device. Total value $25.97.
More information on these offers and others can be found at Roku.com/Offers.

The Roku Ultra and Roku Streambar are available for pre-order at Roku.com starting today and are expected to ship in October. General availability at Roku.com and major retailers is expected in October. The Roku Streambar will also be available in Canada, Mexico and the U.K. Also available on shelf in the U.S. will be the Roku Express, the Roku Express+, the Roku Premiere, the Roku Streaming Stick+, the Roku Streaming Stick+ HE and the Roku Ultra LT.

For more information visit Roku.com.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Question: if I get the new one, and use my Yamaha cxa5100 (set to not process the video)...will Dolby Vision make it to my LG FP?
It does support "4K Ultra HD pass-through" and BT.2020 so I would think so.

And I have had zero issues with mine as well.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Question: if I get the new one, and use my Yamaha cxa5100 (set to not process the video)...will Dolby Vision make it to my LG FP?

That's a good question. I can tell you that my NAD T758V3, which was only pass through anyway, didn't do DV until after a firmware update, so it seems like even though its pass through something more might be required.
Looks like the CXA-5100 didn't originally have HDR or DV. Maybe there was a firmware update for it.

Edit: Looks like Mechman beat me to it. Good news!

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
There was an asterisk by HDR in the description with the explanation " *A future firmware update will be required to enable HDR. "

HDR can be a number of things. The BT.2020 would be the dead giveaway normally but I checked further and spied this down further in the specs:

"8 / 2 (7 HDCP 2.2 inputs, HDR10 / Dolby Vision / HLG and BT.2020 compatible)"

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Got the Roku ultra 2020 in. Everythingworks great, but it appears the cxa5100 i not allowing the HDR to pass, as it says it cannot do it when it tests. Oh well I will solve that down the road when I purhase a new preamp.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Did you update the firmware?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
The Roku updated its firmware, and my Yamaha says it is kn the latest firmware... as is my LG too. Not a big problem, as at least it does not have to be unplugged and replugged several times a day anymore. I have a friend that I am giving the old one to. I told them it might work, or not...just give it a try.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Is your projector connected to the Yamaha too? I’m not sure how things work when two different devices with different capabilities are connected. Only intuition tells me it could be a problem. @mechman will know better.

Top Bottom