REW soundcard setup

Harrycr

Hi I have a Steinberg CI 1 soundcard.
Do I need to download the CI 1 drivers for the laptop?

Thanks

Harrycr

Thanks
To use Java is it already on laptop?
ASIO, is it better, keeping in mind I have no HDMI?

Harrycr

Which OS are you using?
If you are running Windows 10 64bit, don't forget to update your CI1 soundcard with the latest Steinberg drivers at CI1 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg before downloading the latest version of REW which includes a dedicated Java.
Using Windows 8.1
Why install before updating REW?
Have been updating as I go but haven't setup to use currently other things going on.

Thanks

sm52

What's the benefits of ASIO without HDMI?
HDMI or something else, USB, for example, is irrelevant to the question of using ASIO. When using ASIO, the delay between an external sound card connected to the USB port and REW, for example, is minimal. The windows mixer and other software modules for working with sound are disabled. Unlike the java.

Which ASIO drivers are best and reliable?
The one made by the manufacturer of your external sound card.

Harrycr

HDMI or something else, USB, for example, is irrelevant to the question of using ASIO. When using ASIO, the delay between an external sound card connected to the USB port and REW, for example, is minimal. The windows mixer and other software modules for working with sound are disabled. Unlike the java.

The one made by the manufacturer of your external sound card.
Thanks for your reply.

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philips dss940
A major difference is that Windows sound system does not handle any sample frequency above 48k, even if you choose it in the driver: it does not. It pretends to to that, you get a stream with higher frequency, but it is actually sampled with 48k and magic calculation adds just guesswork! Under windows, anything other than ASIO is complete crab, not only for measurement!

JLM1948

I use ASIO. At least, that's what I selected, and when I use just one soundcard, it works at 192k.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
A major difference is that Windows sound system does not handle any sample frequency above 48k, even if you choose it in the driver: it does not. It pretends to to that, you get a stream with higher frequency, but it is actually sampled with 48k and magic calculation adds just guesswork! Under windows, anything other than ASIO is complete crab, not only for measurement!
That's not true in general, sample rates above 48k can and do work as they should with Windows drivers. If multiple clients access a device behaviour may change, the default format in the Advanced tab of the device Audio properties may then be applied.

Top Bottom