REW Beta Release REW ignores backspace, makes boxes out of arrow use

hestepare

Registered
I stumbled on a curious and very impractical error regarding typing. I'm using macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 and the latest REW (5.20 RC8b).

The error is this: whenever I try using the backspace key, nothing happens. If I try navigating in text (as in the title or notes of a measurement) using the arrow keys, one box – ▭ – is inserted for each arrow key press.

Highlighting a word or symbol and typing works, though, so I got my measurements done.

I tried changing the keyboard layout in settings, but that didn't help.

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
How strange. If you open the About REW dialog it shows the locale and keyboard settings REW (Java actually) thinks are being used, what do they show?

hestepare

Registered

It shows the correct keyboard. It's a MacBook Air M1 if that matters.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Keyboard is blank, so it hasn't been able to detect it, but that is common on macOS. Wouldn't expect the keyboard choice to affect arrow keys though. I don't know what to suggest, sorry, perhaps another forum user will have an idea.

hestepare

Registered
Keyboard is blank, so it hasn't been able to detect it, but that is common on macOS. Wouldn't expect the keyboard choice to affect arrow keys though. I don't know what to suggest, sorry, perhaps another forum user will have an idea.

Thank you for the reply. Just to add to it, I have uninstalled and reinstalled REW and Java, rebooted the machine and all the things I could think of. The error remains, however.

Last edited:

PatrickP

Registered
Hi guys, I have the same issue with keyboard entries using OSX Big Sur with an Apple M1 MBP (I think it also happens using an older i5 MBP)
I have also no idea regarding the root cause. I have been using internal and external USB keyboards without having any effect on the issue,

sam_adams

Just to add to it, I have uninstalled and reinstalled REW and Java.

REW for macos has the Java runtime bundled in so you don't need to install a separate Java runtime.

@John Mulcahy, screenshot from MacBook Pro 14,1, REW 5.20RC8b, using an external monitor at 1920 x 1080:

no issue with the arrow or backspace keys.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have been doing some debug with Patrick to try and understand what is going on, but no progress so far, just more mysteries. The key codes Java is returning don't make sense (all 192 other than the first letter key used), though the characters are correct for the letter keys. Quite perplexing. I suspect there may be some language/locale issue at the root of it.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Patrick has found that selecting German - Standard as the keyboard setting makes it work. I will look at whether I can provide a manual override for Java's input locale setting on the Mac.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm told this problem seems to have gone away with V5.20 RC12, which uses the latest Azul Zulu Java runtime.

Top Bottom