Panasonic
Front Speakers
Roland MA-15D
Subwoofers
Tannoy SFX
Satellite System
Foxsat-HDR
REW hangs on startup.
Sometimes it recovers & continues after 1-2 minutes, but often I have to kill the process using process manager software.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
A little more info would be helpful, such as which REW version you are running, which OS you are using, at what point it hangs (a screenshot, perhaps). There are also log files which might have some relevant info. If you are on Windows and using ASIO then badly behaved ASIO drivers can cause REW (or anything else that uses them) to lock up or crash.

phofman

sm52

phofman

You fixed something so that REW can work with audio device exclusive mode in Windows. Look at the screenshots. On the first one, I chose a line from the list of devices with my external sound card and EXCL at the beginning of the name. Then I can't select a specific output and input. If I select a line without EXCL, I can select a specific output and input. Is that how it should be?

Attachments

• EXCL.PNG
    EXCL.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 24
  • No_EXCL.PNG
    No_EXCL.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 26

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No, that isn't normal. Usually the same inputs and outputs are listed for EXCL. Perhaps some other application is using the interface, or perhaps the interface doesn't like the stereo only option being selected.

sm52

the interface doesn't like the stereo only option being selected.
I have tried enabling and disabling this button. This button does not change anything in my question. I observed the same behavior with my friend on his Asus laptop. I have Sony. Win 7-64.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Perhaps it is related to Win 7. It shouldn't affect operation though. As a P.S. the soundcard debug file may have some clues about the different behaviour if you attach that.

sm52

Perhaps it is related to Win 7. It shouldn't affect operation though.
Win-7 has nothing to do with it.
the soundcard debug file may have some clues about the different behaviour if you attach that.
I don't know where these files are. I don't think they are created. Because no one started the debugging mode of the sound card. I can not do it. If there are any files in the REW folder, then I can provide them. But there are no error messages. Will there be anything useful in these files? Maybe Pavel can shed some light on the situation. I work through ASIO. So there's no problem for me. My friend asked me to try working through Java. Foobar distinguishes several variants of Wasapi. Shared, Push, and Event. In addition, KS, default, and ASIO.

sm52

I started REW with the sound card connected. Didn't do anything else.

Attachments

• soundcard_debug.txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 7

sm52

John Mulcahy

Maybe the four variants of the audio output device that Java sees have lines mixed up or line names do not match their numbers? That is, what Java sees as EXCL is not, and vice versa. After all, if you select a line without the prefix EXCL, a choice of input and output channels appears.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The EXCL lines are correct and correctly show WASAPI. The inputs/outputs lists in REW are not enabled if the OS does not provide a list of ports for the device, which appears to be what is happening in your case when the device is accessed through WASAPI exclusive. That doesn't stop the device being used, the ports are only needed to get information about the volume controls.

sm52

This means that if I select lines without EXCL so that the choice of channels (right or left) becomes available, then everything will work correctly and you can take measurements and REW will correctly process the received data?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not quite following that, channel selection is available for either driver type, the channel selection boxes look to be enabled in your screen shots.

Top Bottom