REW for ultra low noise

xlax

Registered
preface: I've used the umik-1 & rew in the past, it's been helpful for combating my listening rooms response.. so thanks for all your efforts!

Hello, I hope you don't mind having several related-ish questions in a thread

I've seen videos on youtube where musicians may take an umik-1 and hammer out the response of another microphone, calibrated mic -> calibrated speaker -> mic to be calibrated
Would it be possible to then turn any EIN <6dB(A) microphone into one that could take accurate SPL measurements too? I suspect gain knobs complicate things.

The source input selection in rew was limited to MME:16/48 -96.7dBFS levels which can't go below 14dB(A) in the spl meter&logger, after switching to ASIO - WASPAI shared via FlexASIO I could enable 24/48 -487.7dBFS levels which goes down to -125.8dB(A). My system is W7x64, with virtual cables as a source for the moment with an unrealistic SNR.
I suspect if do get an interface to power a quality mic* it would have ASIO drivers to bypass the limitation of <15dB(A) measurements. I'd like to build a small chamber to measure computer components in for now, a hemi-anechoic studio would be living the dream.

I've fed my virtual cables with youtube recordings to see what sort of levels they had in rew, I read dBFS -> SPL is something that 'doesn't happen'
If I had a way to calibrate, would that be possible then? I assume rew is doing it somehow. The video publishers had measured a 6.4dB(A) component, but all their published recordings have gain applied for easy listening with headphones. Sadly they don't go over their SPL testing equipment, and have ceased publishing videos for some time.

The metrics for video game performance have shifted from avg FPS to avg FPS & 1% lows, or even 0.1% lows to highlight any poor characteristics that may be averaged over
My untested idea would be to export many Plot Spectrum(s) (Audacity) from a recording, and give an avg dB(A) with highlights on peaks that sit high above the rest of the spectrum. An objective approach compared to relying on publishing audio samples with gain applied.

In video games 60FPS is an image every 1/60 or 16.67ms, with a new top-end monitor hitting 360FPS or image every 1/360, 2.78ms, camera's with >960FPS exist
What sort of rate/realm does recorded 'audible to humans' audio operate at? in Audacity that Plot Spectrum feature, the Algorithm, Size, and Function (window) appear to show me, in video game terms, partial images if my selection is too small (less than a second in some instances) for example.

*If I had theoretically purchased say a cardioid mic with 130dB of dynamic range and selfnoise of 4dB(A), and an interface with EIN -129dBu(A) with a dynamic range of 115dB(A), and gain of 50dBFS
What kind of measuring resolution in dB(A) might be possible, if the calibration is possible and the small chamber (relative to an entire room) was constructed well? I suspect that's how youtube publishers were able to get their measurements down that far.

Orfield Laboratories may be within my state (2013, -13dB(A) chamber) but I suspect the expense of multiple visits would be prohibitive.
If I'm way off base feel free to let me know, I see the >$2,500 lab mic/preamps on the internet too but thought to ask about the above first which may be more hobbyist friendly. Recording a snail eating lettuce is neat and all (google GRAS 40HF), but I think I'd like to do much more than read a displays readout. I don't suppose their second hand market is a thriving either.

xlax

Registered
Would it be possible to then turn any EIN <6dB(A) microphone into one that could take accurate SPL measurements too?
judging by an article [DIY Microphone Calibration] published by Ron Tipton of audioxpress (2009), yes there's a mic substitution solution, it goes on to suggest a method of measuring mV RMS / 100, and you get your mV/Pa sensitivity. Relying on the published mV/Pa figure may not be as accurate as this, correct? The published spec suggests a ±2dB variance. Would I be able to freely change any gain settings afterward? I only own two USB mics currently so I can't yet play around to find out.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you change input gain then you would need to recalibrate the SPL level. SPL calibration is quick if you have a reference, such as an SPL meter or a USB mic with sensitivity in its cal file, like the UMIK-1. I couldn't really follow the other questions, sorry. If you want to record SPL over time there is an SPL logger on REW's SPL meter. You need a mic with very low self noise, a very low noise interface and to live somewhere far from civilisation to capture very low levels.

akl

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
misc
Main Amp
misc, active LOUDSPEAKERS
Subwoofers
MANY, OWN PATENTS
Other Speakers or Equipment
RME (AD DA MICamp)
Streaming Subscriptions
MANY MANY MANY
You can't have a MIC with very low noise and a perfect frequency response.
For perfect noise measurements use the ITU 468 (CCIR) QP (QuasiPeak) instead of the 'A' filter with RMS.
For low noise use a RF-condenser MIC instead of a classic condenser MIC (and pay a fortune ...).
Try to get (older) literature from Bruel&Kjaer. Do not believe in some manufacturers figures, you can't beat physics. Work at 0 K there will be no movement and noise (or vacuum).

akl

Registered
More  
misc
Main Amp
Subwoofers
MANY, OWN PATENTS
RME (AD DA MICamp)
Streaming Subscriptions
MANY MANY MANY
If I had theoretically purchased say a cardioid mic with 130dB of dynamic range and selfnoise of 4dB(A), and an interface with EIN -129dBu(A) with a dynamic range of 115dB(A), and gain of 50dBFS

You mix very special Data.
A selfnoise of 4 dB (A) will be to low, the EIN will be to good, the dynamic range 115 dB will be wrong and a gain in dB FS is impossible.

The source input selection in rew was limited to MME:16/48 -96.7dBFS

I have never seen such an input using umik-1 and java.
You state the dynamic range of a 16 bit system with rounding (approximately).

Sorry I do not understand your goal

REW will do the job, the noise depends on your system (inclusive proper dithering).

xlax

Registered
I have never seen such an input using umik-1 and java.
You state the dynamic range of a 16 bit system with rounding (approximately).
Yes, I had to bypass java if I wanted to monitor with a 24bit depth.

Attachments

• devices.png
    devices.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

xlax

Registered
The way microphones are advertised I'm under the impression you get a monitoring resolution between its self-noise and max SPL, the other limiting factor being what it's connected to, the preamp interface.

4dB(A) self noise, 136dB(A) max SPL, so 132dB(A) dynamic range microphone, but it also lists a 90dB(A) SNR?
While the interface was tested to only have a 115dB(A) dynamic range, and an EIN of -129dBu(A), whatever test they ran rated it as 50dBFS@0dBu for the preamp but I'm under the impression I don't require gain.

I'm unsure which spec might come up first as a bottleneck, the 90dB(A) SNR, the 115dB(A) DR of the interface or it's EIN of -129dBu(A) (I assume this is out of the theoretical -144dBu afforded by 24bit).

I see another interface, MixPre 3 II, says it has 142dB(A) dynamic range but I haven't seen that spec tested.. however a yt demo made it look pretty nice, it's EIN of -128dBu(A) may be a worthwhile step back.

akl

Registered
More  
misc
Main Amp
Subwoofers
MANY, OWN PATENTS
RME (AD DA MICamp)
Streaming Subscriptions
MANY MANY MANY
The way microphones are advertised I'm under the impression you get a monitoring resolution between its self-noise and max SPL, the other limiting factor being what it's connected to, the preamp interface.

! This is correct .
(The max SPL must be at the stated self noise, not inserting an attenuator increasing self noise).

4 db (A) (I doubt this is true) to 94 dB SPL ( == 1 Pascal ) is the SNR ( 90 dB ).

The EIN seems also too good (-125.8 dBV). The dynamic range is NOT at exactly the SNR, but similiar.
At possibly +10 dBV OUT the noise is -105 dBV (A). This is a gain of 25 dB. But EIN will not be measured at 25 dB gain.

The SNR of a 24 bit system rounded is 144 dB (NOT dBu). NO AD will give you this value.

Do not look at the dynamic range, this is NOT at low input !.

The EIN is often a marketing value, do NOT believe this.
The EIN depends on the source impedance.
Use a microphone with low self noise AND a very low impedance AND a high output level (at 1 Pascal).
You have to measure the values yourself, Because most often these are marketing values, but you can't measure these values, It is very complicated and even most manufactures can't do it properly (even if the marketing says yes).
The noise level you may hear is more likely the CCIR 468 QuasiPeak and NOT the A RMS.
Those manufacturers stating the CCIR noise might know what they are doing.

Do you like a very low noise (absolute) or a high SNR (at a loud acoustic source) ?
This may require something completely different.

A small capsule may have a perfect frequency response but a higher noise (absolute), SNR at loud sources may be similiar.
Some amplifiers and ADs are better at low SPLs (EIN), some at high SPLs (SNR).

50dBFS@0dBu

there is nothing like a 50 dBFS ( 50 dB above maximum ! )
nonsense !

look at a proper dither to get a 'nice' noise, not an extremely low, extremely awful noise.

akl

Registered
More  
misc
Main Amp
Subwoofers
MANY, OWN PATENTS
RME (AD DA MICamp)
Streaming Subscriptions
MANY MANY MANY

xlax

Registered
Why ? I use JAVA at 24 bit !
java doesn't choose the WDM version [on my Windows 7_x64 system, REW V5.19, devices.png attached earlier], and its selection of MME was limited to 16bits (changing this setting seems to be impossible). I came across a thread from ~4 years ago where someone else ran into this, the VB-Audio cable author suggested wdm or ks, which is why I went to asio.

The noise level you may hear is more likely the CCIR 468 QuasiPeak and NOT the A RMS.
I was planning to have z-weighted results, then make choices of weightings available

Do you like a very low noise (absolute) or a high SNR (at a loud acoustic source) ?
I'd like to measure things in the 6 to 40dB(A) range but I'm unsure if a small scale chamber can compare to a dedicated room, like someone else had built [attached image] in their home in terms of dampening broadband down to 200Hz.

Attachments

• SPCR.png
    SPCR.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 10

xlax

Registered
hmmm what sort of software can accomplish that ITU-R .468-4* (CCIR 468-2 / -3 / -4, DIN45405) style of metering?

There are curves published and used in few metering applications but I'm not seeing the q-peak detector implemented, it's only been around for >60 years ( http://realfield.com/anm/history/#Belger-1954 )

Hertz describes the Quasi Peak rectifier as being:

characterized by its charging and discharging time constants of approx 1.6 ms and 390 ms respectively.

It has apparently not been possible to give a mathematical expression for the transfer function of the Quasi Peak rectifier together with the weighting curve.

Therefore, the standards for noise measuring instruments state a table which specifies the instrument reading as a function of 5 kHz toneburst of different width and repetition frequency.

*forum filters out the acronym of ITU-R Broadcast Standard.468-4

Last edited:
Top Bottom