REW for Linux Waterfall drawing problem

Theodore Zahov

Registered
Hello,
I am using REW 5.19 beta 9 on Linux.
There is a problem in the drawing of the Waterfall graph of a measurement. After it is generated it is not visualized. The only way I found to show it is to move some of the scroll bars. Then the plot is visualized, but no color scheme can be applied. It is always shown as a contours only. Same applies with the waterfall plot on the EQ window. It looks like a some kind of plot refresh issue. In addition once it happens some buttons also stop refreshing and appear only when the mouse moves above them.
I have tested this on different computers (all running Ubuntu), with different java installations. Tested it with different java versions, as well - Oracle Java, openjdk, same result.
I checked some older beta of REW - same problem there too.

The issue does not appear on windows.

Would you give some suggestion, is it a bug, or some option could fix the behavior?

All the best,

Theo

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Does sound odd. It is worth checking the REW log files to see if any errors are logged after generating a waterfall (the location is shown on the About REW dialog). Can also try turning off hardware graphics acceleration as described in this thread.

Theodore Zahov

Registered
Thank you for the answer.

I have already tried to switch off the acceleration as described by you, but without any effect.

Here is the log file from a short test run just to illustrate the issue. Commands involved are:
- start REW,
- open a fiile with two measurements inside
- switch to waterfall tab
- press "Generate" button

At this stage nothing happens. The "generate" button turns gray, but no waterfall is shown.

- move a bit the horizontal scroll bar

At that moment some kind of waterfall graph is shown, but just contours, no color scheme applied, although it should be "Rainbow". "Generate" button disappears.

If needed I could record a video to demonstrate it, or make a slideshow of screenshots.

Best,
Theo

Attachments

• roomeq_wizard0.log.txt
    29.7 KB · Views: 38

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's one for Oracle, the JVM is reporting that a method the JVM's drawImage code is calling hasn't been implemented.

Theodore Zahov

Registered
Tried it, doesn't work.
I checked some older beta versions of 5.19. In fact this behavior starts with 5.19 beta7a, where colour scheme for waterfall is introduced. Before this beta, waterfall graphs show without problems (but of course in green only).

Thank you,
Best,
Theo

Theodore Zahov

Registered
Unfortunately, not. I would point that It is only the waterfall which is not working properly. Spectrogram, for example, is displayed perfectly in all colour schemes, 3d enhancements, banded colours etc.

Theodore Zahov

Registered
I have made a short video demonstrating the problem. Definitely there is some kind of refresh issue, which affects the refreshing of the graph, refreshing of the graph switching tabs, scrollbars. The issue starts to show only after the waterfall is generated. Before the generation everything works fine. It is interesting that if you switch to select a measurement which waterfall is not generated the tabs start refreshing normally again. Switching back to a measurement with generated waterfall brings back the buggy behavior.

This is the link to the video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjPFnLq4fe0YO7KRvxELMcAj-iFYqsku/view?usp=sharing

John Mulcahy

REW Author
As I said above, the problem is in the Java Virtual Machine, where some code is being called (by Oracle's own code) which has not been written:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.InternalError: not implemented yet
at sun.java2d.xr.XRSurfaceData.getRaster(XRSurfaceData.java:72)

Once that happens the JVM code essentially gives up, the drawing that should occur doesn't happen. That has been in the Oracle bug database since 2015 logged against Solaris, where there is a note that it may be related to not being able to enable the OpenGL pipeline. Similar bugs seem linked to specific OS versions. All of that is outside of the scope of REW.

As an aside, there also doesn't appear to be any antialiasing on your plots, have you turned that off in the View preferences? If not then the general behaviour of the graphics driver seems odd and may be worth investigating.

Edit: Try -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True, perhaps that will change the JVM behaviour.

Theodore Zahov

Registered
Hello John,

I am very glad to say that putting the last option you provided in roomeqwizard.vmoptions, fixed the issue. Everything works fine now, tested on two different computers.

Regarding your second note, both antialiasing and thick traces were turned off when the video was made. No problems here.

Thank you for the great, constantly improving product and help.

Best regards,

Theo

mtrantalainen

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-V767
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
PS4 Pro
Front Speakers
Genelec 8030A
Center Channel Speaker
Genelec 8030A
Subwoofers
DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033C + Audio Pro 1.35
Video Display Device
75" Samsung MU6100
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 700
Nearly two years later...

I'm confirming the issue on Linux. I executed installer REW_linux_5_19.sh and got REW V5.19 running JRE 1.8.0_242 64-bit on linux 5.3.0-28-lowlatency (I have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with package "linux-lowlatency-hwe-18.04-edge" installed).

All updates of REW's windows get unstable after visiting the waterfall tab.

The workaround is to add a new line -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True into file roomeqwizard.vmoptions.

Could you make this default value because it seems that Oracle Java JVM/JRE is not going to be fixed anytime soon?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I don't think I can make that the default as I am not sure there always is an OpenGL implementation. Other graphics APIs shouldn't have that problem, it occurs when Java falls back to its default implementation. I have added a page in the Linux installer to select whether to use OpenGL.

G29

Tried REW_linux_5_20_RC5 in 64-bit Debian 10 today with the linux-image-rt kernel, 64-bit Oracle 8 Java (jre1.8.0_281) and REW_linux_5_20_RC5.sh.

Without OpenGL the only glitch I found on the initial runs is that the Waterfall plots do render and the app gets into an infinite popup error dialog loop. Have to summon up kill -9.

When I enable OpenGL and restart, the entire app is all BLACK with an intermittent top button rendering that then goes BLACK. Forcing repaints by re-stacking app windows doesn't restore the rendering.

Linux debian10 4.19.0-13-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.19.160-2 (2020-11-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Reran with the stock kernel and the same behavior exists.

Linux debian10 4.19.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.160-2 (2020-11-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited:

Djémal

Registered
Hello,
I am using REW 5.19 beta 9 on Linux.
There is a problem in the drawing of the Waterfall graph of a measurement. After it is generated it is not visualized. The only way I found to show it is to move some of the scroll bars. Then the plot is visualized, but no color scheme can be applied. It is always shown as a contours only. Same applies with the waterfall plot on the EQ window. It looks like a some kind of plot refresh issue. In addition once it happens some buttons also stop refreshing and appear only when the mouse moves above them.
I have tested this on different computers (all running Ubuntu), with different java installations. Tested it with different java versions, as well - Oracle Java, openjdk, same result.
I checked some older beta of REW - same problem there too.

The issue does not appear on windows.

Would you give some suggestion, is it a bug, or some option could fix the behavior?

All the best,

Theo
Hello

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 and had the same problem .

Adding -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True in /opt/REW/roomeqwizard.vmoptions worked for me

Best regards

Djémal

BrandonR541

Registered
-------------------------
WORKING SOLUTION:
-------------------------
If the previously posted opengl setting doesn't fully solve the issue for you, then you need to also increase the memory use limit.

As the memory limit is increased, the waterfall plot will become less and less buggy/slow until it finally works normally. 2048mb should be plenty, but you can try 1024, or just go straight to extra big (such as the 6144 I went with, which is far more than needed, but ensures plenty is available). Although increasing the limit beyond 1024 improved the performance, it doesn't seem to actually use anymore than ~625mb regardless of limit, so maybe it has more to do with memory allocation than actual used memory.

-------------------------------------------------
/opt/roomeqwizard/roomeqwizard.vmoptions
-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True
-Xmx6144m
REW 5.19
JRE 1.8.0_282 64-bit
Linux 5.11.4 -rt11-1-rt
Manjaro KDE Plasma 5.21.2

* Newer versions of REW (I tested 5.20rc9) provide this fix as part of the installer, where it allows one to enable opengl and to set the memory limit, but these can still be changed at a later date by editing the file as described above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom