REW & Apple M1

Tom.O

Registered
I'm wondering if any one had a chance to check if REW is compatible with Apple Silicon ? (Apple M1 - ARM chip)

Nick Whitaker

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
ATC
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
teac
Front Speakers
atc 20ASL
Streaming Subscriptions
rega planar 3
Just installed latest version of REW on M1/ Big Sur Mac. The program installs & works fine - in fact blistering fast, no progress bar appears when doing RT calcs!. HOWEVER........ REW does not have access to the microphone/ any audio input. It does not appear in the Microphone permissions list, so there's no options available.....
Hoping that this is a simple JAVA fix????? please?

Nick Whitaker

Registered
More  
ATC
teac
Front Speakers
atc 20ASL
Streaming Subscriptions
rega planar 3
Just installed latest version of REW on M1/ Big Sur Mac. The program installs & works fine - in fact blistering fast, no progress bar appears when doing RT calcs!. HOWEVER........ REW does not have access to the microphone/ any audio input. It does not appear in the Microphone permissions list, so there's no options available.....
Hoping that this is a simple JAVA fix????? please?
Nb: No problem with output

Nick Whitaker

Registered
More  
ATC
teac
Front Speakers
atc 20ASL
Streaming Subscriptions
rega planar 3
Many thanks John - You are a Genius... or is it Wizard!?!

wacomme

I get 4/5 through on the progress bar for installing any version of REW and the install quits. My older version that I was using a lot suddenly doesn't work. It's now trashed and I'm trying to download a new version to no avail. I'm on a Macbook Air M1 running the latest OS.

wacomme

I don't have dark mode running and the early access build doesn't work - same result. I am running Ventura and my appearance setting is set to light.

Last edited:

wacomme

I'm at a loss of what to try next. I've restarted, quite applications so nothing else if open, and the same result. I cannot get an installation.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Difficult to know what might be causing the installation to fail. Third party window managers can cause issues, otherwise there may be some relevant tips in this thread.

wacomme

I've gone through that thread and turned off every extension I can think of. Attached is a launchd record from the Console after I try and install REW. Is there anything there that makes sense to you? It's crazy I can't install the application when it was running beautifully previously.

Attachments

• LaunchD Log After Trying to Install REW.txt
    53 KB · Views: 9

wacomme

Under System Settings, Privacy & Security, Files and Folders, the REW Installer is greyed out. I can't turn it on.
Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 7.24.39 AM.png

wacomme

Oh. I think the reason for the grey out is because I gave the REW Installer full disc access.

wacomme

. I've tried everything I can think of. I've disabled everything in setting and restarted several times. I still cannot install REW. THis is so frustrating. I really wanted to use REW today. I guess I can install REW on my work PC and use that to measure new monitor settings and create convolution EQ files, and then transfer those files to my mac for implementation. But really . . . I would rather analyze the monitors directly from my Mac

I don't know the roadblock to my installation problem. Is there a way to find out? How do I proceed from here?

wacomme

Thank you. Could the problem be because I somehow got a corrupted REW program, and then when I deleted it (moved to trash and emptied it) I didn't get all of the corrupted associated files with it? If so, how can I delete all of the associated files that are still on my Mac?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW installs to a folder in Applications. There's an uninstaller in the folder, which is a moot point if you have already deleted and purged the folder. The installer doesn't use any of the files, it just copies files to the REW folder.

sam_adams

I get 4/5 through on the progress bar for installing any version of REW and the install quits.

When you are running the installer; is it quitting when running the Install4J Wizard installer:

install4j.png

or the actual REW Installer app?:

rewinstall.png

wacomme

I tried using the uninstaller several times, but it didn't do anything. Consequently, I trashed the whole folder.

sam_adams

First image - during the install - just a bit further than the blue line in the image - and then it abruptly stops.

Try the following as it might provide @John Mulcahy with some more info to reach a solution:

Mount the REW installer .dmg file.

Open Terminal.app (enlarge the window to fill the screen to avoid text wrapping) and enter the following:

INSTALL4J_LOG=yes /Volumes/REW/REW\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub

The Install4J Wizard installer should start and you will see output in the terminal window.

When the Install4J Wizard installer quits, copy the text from the terminal window to a .txt file and attach it to your reply so that John may take a look at the output.

Other things to try:

Copy the REW Installer.app to your desktop and run from there to see if it completes.

Open /Users/Shared and create a folder there named Temp. Copy the installer into /Users/Shared/Temp and run from that location.

wacomme

Attached is the text file. The other things to try didn't work.

Michael

Attachments

• Run App From Terminal.txt
    31.7 KB · Views: 12

sam_adams

Attached is the text file. The other things to try didn't work.

So the below is the error being returned:

2022-11-27 14:53:39.519 java[2059:92159] *** Assertion failure in void set_surface_colorspace(CGSConnectionID, CGSWindowID, CGSSurfaceID, CGColorSpaceRef _Nonnull)(), NSCGLSurface.m:121 Could not display the GUI. This application needs access to an X Server. ******************************************************************* You can also run this application in console mode without access to an X server by passing the argument -c *******************************************************************

As a test, create a new account with administrator permissions (You should have one created already in case something happens to your everyday account.). Login as that user and try the installer. Use the Terminal.app method of starting the installer to capture the log again. This will help to narrow it down to a system-wide or an account-based issue.

dotnet

Adding argument “-c” on the installer command line seems like the logical next step to try.

Top Bottom