REW Alignment tool - Guides or Manual?

JStewart

Supporter
Sorry my question not clear.
Post 169
Were you were saying that when combining the two subs with the alignment tool and align sum it should match the measured two subs graph this is a sign that measurement is ok.

Thanks
Yes. Its a confirmation that nothing has inadvertently been messed up by the user in the process, which can be surprisingly easy to do.

The alignment tool calculations are 100% accurate so when you find the best alignment save the aligned (summed) measurement. Next enter the alignment tool delay into the DSP (minidsp, AVR, whatever). If you now take a measurement of the combined subs and the mic has not been moved and no other settings anywhere have been changed, then the REW actual measurement will match the Alignment tool calculated results, EXACTLY.

When using the .mdat provided and the two measurements I believe to be the measurements for each sub separately and combined them with a 9.5ms delay, the measurement tool Calculated Result did not match a measurement in the .mdat that I assume was an actual measurement of the combined subs also with a 9.5ms delay added to the DSP. Until that can be explained an analysis of the .mdat by others may be invalid insofar as this exercise is concerned.

Harrycr

Yes. Its a confirmation that nothing has inadvertently been messed up by the user in the process, which can be surprisingly easy to do.

The alignment tool calculations are 100% accurate so when you find the best alignment save the aligned (summed) measurement. Next enter the alignment tool delay into the DSP (minidsp, AVR, whatever). If you now take a measurement of the combined subs and the mic has not been moved and no other settings anywhere have been changed, then the REW actual measurement will match the Alignment tool calculated results, EXACTLY.

When using the .mdat provided and the two measurements I believe to be the measurements for each sub separately and combined them with a 9.5ms delay, the measurement tool Calculated Result did not match a measurement in the .mdat that I assume was an actual measurement of the combined subs also with a 9.5ms delay added to the DSP. Until that can be explained an analysis of the .mdat by others may be invalid insofar as this exercise is concerned.
Thank you.
One sub is up front inside left main and center and back one is inside right rear surround (diagonally) behind the couch.
Does this mean that the polarity on the back sub should be reversed?

When measuring combined response with NO delay added and polarity reversed on back sub the graph looks better. Does this mean that go with this setup when phase aligning the 2 subs?

Thanks again

JStewart

Supporter
Thank you.
One sub is up front inside left main and center and back one is inside right rear surround (diagonally) behind the couch.
Does this mean that the polarity on the back sub should be reversed?

When measuring combined response with NO delay added and polarity reversed on back sub the graph looks better. Does this mean that go with this setup when phase aligning the 2 subs?

Thanks again
If I measures better then it probably a lot closer.
Only way to know for sure is with a measurement of each sub separately with a timing reference and check with alignment tool. Remove any delays or polarity inversion before measuring. Set XO as high as allowed by your gear.

Option B is to Keep changing the delay of one sub in increments of 1ms and re-measuring after each. Tedious but doable.

mattel

Registered
Agree and you've got a good starting point for EQ.
Ok, I eq’d both subs. There is a substantial improvement in sound quality. Bass is more robust, tighter and really thumps.
Thank you so much!
For sub/main alignment:
measure each sub w/o any delay and with xover
measure FR and FL individually with xover
use center for timing reference
sum sub1+ sub2
sum FR+FL
use alignment tool to align the two summed responses by placing the cursor at the xover freq. and click “align at cursor”

Is this correct?

Thanks again. You have been a great help.

Last edited:

JStewart

Supporter
Almost. Actually a little easier.

with XO set
with no other DSP modes set that might alter the signal (upmixers, downmixers, etc.)

measure each sub w/o any delay and with xover
These measurements are not needed. The already aligned subs group will be aligned with the mains.

measure FR and FL individually with xover
Yes.

use center for timing reference
Yes

sum sub1+ sub2
Measure the already aligned subs group.

sum FR+FL
Yes

use alignment tool to align the two summed responses by placing the cursor at the xover freq. and click “align at cursor”
I'd recommend using the slider. If you click on the slider you can then use arrow keys to move it which, for me at least, offers more precise movement.

Edit: Link to example https://www.avnirvana.com/posts/46617/

Last edited:
Top Bottom