Resync Event ASIO issues

vhr99

Registered
Dear REW Experts,

I am facing a major issue with this error message:
ASIO device has been reset due to resync request from driver.
No matter what I do, I can't work it out.

I am using an Apollo X Quad Interface via Thunderbolt 3 on an Intel NUC 10, Windows 11 PC. The interface is set to internal clock, since when I set it to S/PDIF I can't get access on the inputs.

For the past three years I am working around this error message. When it pops up during a measurement the measurement usually gets discarded and I have to repeat it. Sometimes several times until I luckily and finally sucessfully bypassed a resync event. Another way is to keep the measurements as short as possible (<256k) because that increases the probability of not getting into the resync interval while measuring.

However it is a huge hassle to repeat each second or third measurement and lately I faced a wall that I can't work around.
When trying to calibrate the sound card, each time after the "measure the soundcard" dialog or 'set the levels dialog', just when the measurement dialog should pop up, the resync error modal pops up instead, and the measurement wasn't already even started. This behavior is reproducible, making it impossible to calibrate/measure the sound card.

I then switched to Java Drivers and reselected all inputs. It works in that regard that I don't get a resync modal, however the measurement is distorted like crazy and I get the modal warning that I shouldn't use it to calibrate. The result is also not determined, changing its appearance each time when measuring.
I suppose it's buffer size issues with the Java Drivers that lead to breaks and clips in the data.

The used configuration of the sound card is 512 Buffer Size, 48KHz. However this is standard and works well with all programs incl. DAWs.

I don't know how I can fix this resync dialog. I checked each and every setting of the soundcard hundreds of times within those years and also couldn't find a REW setting which would remove the resync error.

Meanwhile I appeal and plead for help. There were also some other issues in the background:
- For some unkown reason REW is measuring in stereo no matter which single output is selected. In the signal chain after REW there is no mono that could cause this. Especially as in the Generator it works and follows the selected output, but when opening the measure dialog and having the same output selected like in the Generator both speakers play the sweep. I thought about pulling the cables of the other monitor to force the measurement to sweep on only one speaker, but that's also not an ideal solution.
- Furthermore I wanted to calibrate my soundcard using REW for more accurate measurements and read through the online guide and followed the dialog hints of the program, while configuring my interface to the correct line in and out levels. In this process I configured the sound card for loopback compatibility in a way that I cannot use it for anything else anymore until the calibration measurement is done.

I dearly hope there is someone who can help me on this. I thought I can't be possibly the only person on earth using an Apollo X together with REW on Windows but when googling the resync modal message I couldn't find precise information for my case. The modal also includes the hint of "Input and Outputs may need to be reselected", that however is never the case. The outputs have the same names after the resync and are always still correctly selected. Please if you have any idea of what I can do to fix this issue, please help me.

Kind regards, Chris

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Java buffers are huge, that won't be the issue there.

Set your ASIO buffer to the largest value it offers and set the default sample rate for the ASIO driver to the same rate you use in REW.

sm52

My Audient card behaves the same as yours if the buffer is ASIO 512 or less. With a buffer of 1024, measurements occur almost normally. But sometimes messages still appear that the ASIO driver has been reset. Then I click the Reload button on the soundcard tab in REW, and continue. These resets are caused by insufficient speed of the USB ports. I couldn't do anything about it.

vhr99

Registered
Java buffers are huge, that won't be the issue there.

Set your ASIO buffer to the largest value it offers and set the default sample rate for the ASIO driver to the same rate you use in REW.
I tested it with both 1024 and with 2048 buffer size.
When calibrating the soundcard the resync modal still pops up immediately before the real measurement starts.

Sample Rate is identical on both REW and Apollo Control, on 48KHz.
The driver automatically follows REW, if I select 44.1 the interface changes it's sample rate concurrently.

Is there a way to bypass the resync event in REW? Something seems to trigger it always when the measurement dialog should pop up. Before, there is the level setting where the in and out are already accessed. Can that have any influence on the appearence of the resync event?

What else could I try?

Thank you for your help,
Kind Regards,
Chris

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The usual cause of the driver issuing a resync is that it detected a buffer underrun. It isn't something that can be ignored. There are Apollo users, and I have an Apollo Solo I bought a few years back to diagnose an issue with the driver and that still works OK on ASIO, so I don't think there is a fundamental issue. However other Windows users have reported ASIO resyncs. It should work fine with the Java WASAPI exclusive drivers (device names that start EXCL), again my Solo works correctly that way so I'd try the EXCL device entries in Java mode. You may need to fiddle about in UAD console to make sure the input isn't being monitored back to the output, that should just mean muting the input in the console.

phofman

The interface is set to internal clock, since when I set it to S/PDIF I can't get access on the inputs.
Do you feed some SPDIF stream into the interface when set to SPDIF clock? If not, then probably the device is not freewheeling when set the SPDIF clock.

The buffer under/overrun issue seems to affect that specific hardware/driver https://forum.juce.com/t/asio-failure-on-windows-10-thunderbolt-3/37953 . Maybe checking DPC latency would tell more, but quite likely not fixable anyway.

Top Bottom