More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
Hello all. First time post (I think)

I recently completed the treatment of my small home studio space. I spent the better part of this last summer constructing and mounting a good number of absorption panels. I purchased the UMIK-1, have loaded REW onto my Mac Book Pro and have taken some simple measurements. I loaded the calibration file that came with the microphone. As far as I can tell everything seems to have gone well. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to assist me in interpreting the results. If so, I will gladly provide whatever is required. Screenshots, saved measurements, my setup, etc.

Your time and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Please add your system kit to your profile so we can see what you are working with...

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sam_adams @ddude003 Thank you both for your prompt reply. I have attached an .mdat file of measurements that I took earlier today. Below is a rough sketch that I had prepared some time ago in Sketchup. If necessary I can post images of my room with absorption panels mounted.

Attachments

• JAN-26-2021.mdat
    7.4 MB · Views: 26

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
I would also like to add the steps that I took prior to taking the measurements:

• Place mic directly where my head is in 3D space at the listening position
  • Point mic perfectly at the midpoint between the tweeter and the woofer oriented horizontally
  • Startup REW – UMIK-1 detected – load calibration file
  • Launch Generator and SPL Meter – Use Full spectrum Pink noise -12.0 default out / Left
  • Start generator – hit record on SPL meter – raise level to approx. 75.0db – Stop
  • Launch Measure - start frequency 10hz / 20,000hz – timing left / left – start measuring

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
Anyone?

Attachments

• Left Speaker Waterfall 20-350Hz.jpg
    Left Speaker Waterfall 20-350Hz.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Right Speaker Waterfall 20-350Hz.jpg
    Right Speaker Waterfall 20-350Hz.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Left - RT60.jpg
    Left - RT60.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Right - RT60.jpg
    Right - RT60.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Left Impulse.jpg
    Left Impulse.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Right Impulse.jpg
    Right Impulse.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 31

sm52

I can't say much, but there's definitely a high-frequency problem. From 4.6 kHz and up. Maybe it's a feature of the tweeter. It looks as if the tweeter was poorly fixed. Waterfall is almost perfect.

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 First off I want to thank you for chiming in. I appreciate it very much. My Focals were purchased in May 2019 and have not been repaired as far as I know. I am wondering if the high frequency issue that you speak about could be inherent to this particular model. Is this something that you saw in both left and right measurements? And, which one of the measurements revealed the HF issue

sm52

It seems to me that such an amplitude at HF should not be. Should be 3-4 times less. On the Spectrogram graph of right side, you can see where the reflection is about 45 cm from the speaker. The reason I cannot understand. You need to change the measurement location and then compare this HF area. And try another manufacturer's tweeter. Then something will clear up. If you want to understand. But maybe the sound suits you and you don't need to do anything.

Attachments

• Left.PNG
    Left.PNG
    124.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Right-2 Spect.PNG
    Right-2 Spect.PNG
    342.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Right-2.PNG
    Right-2.PNG
    125.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
Thanks again for taking the time to assist me. I will verify the settings at each cabinet. I will also redo the measurements.

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 Good day. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to look over my latest measurement. Please let me know if you spot any anomalies I took my near field monitors off of the IsoAcoustic stands that I had them sitting on. Thank you in advance. Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated. Peter

Attachments

• JAN 30 2021 - 1030.mdat
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • SPLL - JAN 30 2021 - 1030 - 20Hz-350Hz.jpg
    SPLL - JAN 30 2021 - 1030 - 20Hz-350Hz.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 8
  • SPLR - JAN 30 2021 - 1030 - 20Hz-20000kHz.jpg
    SPLR - JAN 30 2021 - 1030 - 20Hz-20000kHz.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

sm52

I watched. Quickly I cannot say something for sure. Need to think. So far it is clear that the stands spoiled the upper range. But without them, the lower range could get worse. How did the sound change when the stands were removed? I think the 4 kHz to 8 kHz rattle is from the mixer controls. Instead of coasters, try putting a sheet of rubber 1-2 cm, then 5-8 cm of concrete in the shape of the bottom of the acoustics, then again a sheet of rubber 1-2 cm.

Last edited:

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
When placed directly on the desk I found that the tweeters were firing clear over my head. It is a little primitive but I use a Bosch laser level that I have. To be honest I did not hear much of a difference in the low end. Then again, I have only started using the speakers and the room about two weeks ago. So, this is a brand new experience and obviously need many more hours in the room before I know what is wrong or right. And, then there is the ever present reality that my hearing has changed with age. I have now put the the speakers back on the stands. At least they are angled down toward the sweet spot. You are probably right about the impact that the large Argosy console must be having on the way sound be reflected / diffused. Unfortunately, this is the only room that I have to work with. I'm afraid that I have to make the best of the space that I am in. It is all that I have to work with at the moment. Thank you again for reading and responding to my post. Immensely appreciated. Peter

sm52

When you removed the IsoAcoustic stands, the HFs are better. Waterfall was almost perfect, but it got worse. Therefore, you must try to use other stands, best of all as I described. The slab can be concrete or marble. Rubber top and bottom. Plus on the right side of the Argosy console, where the flat surface, the sound absorber should glued.

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 Are you referring to the red absorber or the one behind the speaker with the leopard pattern?

sm52

In yellow, I painted a place where you can glue the sound absorber. Blue is a direct beam of sound from tweeters. Red - reflections. The length of the sound beam through the reflection is + 45 cm. You need to take a tape measure, measure the distance from the ears to any tweeter, add 45 cm, bend the tape as shown in the reflection in red. Where it touches the surface there will be a place of reflection that causes the sound to shake from 4 kHz to 8 kHz. I suspect the knobs of the sliders.
I took another look at your last measurements in post # 11. They are better in all respects. So it is best not to use IsoAcoustic stands. There is a reflection at 40 Hz.

Attachments

• reflections.png
    reflections.png
    862.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 40 Hz right.PNG
    40 Hz right.PNG
    266.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 40 Гц left.PNG
    40 Гц left.PNG
    270.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 Good morning. Now that you point out that large bare area on the desk I can see how that can result in some undesirable reflections. I just want to be clear. Are you suggesting that the speaker remain flat on the desk provided I use some form of decoupling mechanism. Should I not be concerned that the tweeter appear to shoot straight above my head. Or, is that not an issue.

Thank you for taking the time to assist me. It means a lot to me. Much appreciated. Peter

Last edited:

sm52

Your Focals stays where it is. To prevent the tweeter to shoot above the head, place something under the rear legs. With a yellow oval, I marked a place on the table, because of which there may be a reflection that distorts the main signal. For better bass performance, the Focals stand should weigh 2 or more times the Focals.

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 I took your advice and tried a little test today. I took a very thick moving blanket and placed it where you had placed the yellow circle in the photo. What do you think of the new result?

Attachments

• FEB 01 2021.mdat
    5.7 MB · Views: 10

sm52

Congratulations. We found a pest. The Right-2 graph is excellent.

Attachments

• Right and right-2.PNG
    Right and right-2.PNG
    124 KB · Views: 24
  • Right spectro.PNG
    Right spectro.PNG
    334.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Right-2 spectro.PNG
    Right-2 spectro.PNG
    322.1 KB · Views: 26

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 No, you are the one to be congratulated. You are the only one on this "REW Community Forum" who reached out to help. That amazes me. Thank you

sm52

Glad to hear. But we still talked by looking at graphs and measurements. How does the sound change by ear? Compare the sound now and if the Focals are on IsoAcoustic stands and there is no absorber on the right.

tonelabaudio

Registered
More  
Tascam DM-4800
Computer Audio
Cubase 10.x
Front Speakers
Focal Solo6 BE
@sm52 Believe it or not I took the measurement with the thick blanket in place but never sat down to listen the effect when playing music through the speakers. I will do that tomorrow.

Note: Can you tell me what limit setting you used to achieve the Spectrogram images that you attached in your last post. Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom