Purchasing Advice Needed Yamaha Aventage Line or outlaw 976

andyc56

And you contacted Outlaw... they said it was intentional, correct? I'm curious as to the reasoning behind it.

I didn't contact them. I saw that another poster, Eric Desrochers, did. I can't seem to link to individual posts in the Outlaw forum, but in post 97824 of that thread, he says:
Eric Desrochers said:
I quickly discovered this issue and sent a bug repport. I was more or less told "that's not a bug, it's a feature"... Then, I was probably the first person to discuss the issue here, and most people had a meh reaction, as if it's a trivial situation.

So I have not much hope for a solution!

I got discouraged by that, and just decided to go another route. If you'd like, I could email them, then post their reply here.

Regarding whether the problem occurs when other interfaces besides HDMI are used, Eric Desrochers wrote this in post 97837:
Eric Desrochers said:
I had guestimated half a second fade-in myself. It's enough to lose the first drum hit on a lot of pop/rock music. How some people can rationalize this as trivial is beyond me. With my CDs, it's almost all of them having the issue, save for the live show recordings or concept albums like The Wall.

and this in post 97840:

Eric Desrochers said:
Yeah, but when the CD player is connected with optical or coaxial SPDIF, no HDMI is involved. This is a one-way protocol not burdened by handshake or DRM. This is a 35 years old standard, I would think that its implementation should be easy. Outlaw Ben explained to me in a private communication that this is not the case.

So Outlaw is aware of the problem.

andyc56

When I got it, it had been delayed for a software update. Since firmware isn’t easily field updated, they had to fix it for me before sending out. I can ask Ben about this if you like?

Please do, Matt!

Yes, I'd be very interested to find out. Apparently he's aware of the problem, as reported by Eric Desrochers.

Eric Desrochers said:
This is a 35 years old standard, I would think that its implementation should be easy. Outlaw Ben explained to me in a private communication that this is not the case.

Deromax

Hello! I just saw that I was quoted on this forum, and signed-in right away! I'm willing to provide any informations I can about this issue if it can help. Having a third party web site as this one inquiring into this matter to Outlaw is just what we need to hopefully have them acting. I also privately reported other outstanding bug issues to Outlaw CS, but after more than a year on the market, no firmware update have been developped and issued yet for the 976.

Do the reviewer stilll have the test unit with him?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hello! I just saw that I was quoted on this forum, and signed-in right away! I'm willing to provide any informations I can about this issue if it can help. Having a third party web site as this one inquiring into this matter to Outlaw is just what we need to hopefully have them acting. I also privately reported other outstanding bug issues to Outlaw CS, but after more than a year on the market, no firmware update have been developped and issued yet for the 976.

It had to be sent back for another reviewer. They couldn’t keep up with demand and couldn’t afford to leave the unit with me.

andyc56

The reviewer was made aware of this problem on Nov. 15. The review came out on Dec. 7 and mentioned nothing about it, instead saying this:

Matthew J. Poes said:
During my time with the Outlaw 976, I can happily say it worked flawlessly, with no operational problems or sound quality issues (at least none that I can blame on Outlaw).

This should dispel any misconception of whether the review was written for the benefit of the consumer or the manufacturer.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
The reviewer was made aware of this problem on Nov. 15. The review came out on Dec. 7 and mentioned nothing about it, instead saying this:

This should dispel any misconception of whether the review was written for the benefit of the consumer or the manufacturer.

This is completely false. I was not made aware that such a problem existed nor did I ever indicate knowing that. I said I didn’t notice any such problem. Your comment is uncalled for.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict

Andy I misunderstood what you were suggesting at first. I understand we had touched on this issue on Nov 15, but my review unit had already shipped back to the manufacturer at that point and the review has already been completed, reviewed, and edited. So I couldn’t test the specific circumstances you were referencing. The review was not paid for or sponsored by the manufacturer... it was a consumer-oriented review, so don’t read into the fact that the issue wasn’t addressed. But it’s certainly not something I experienced and I put the unit through it’s paces in order to best evaluate its functionality. If this slipped through the cracks, it’s for no other reason than it slipped through the cracks.

I have reached out to Outlaw for comment on the issue... and I’ll ask them if they could resend me the review unit for further testing.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2

@Deromax ... what did Outlaw say to you when you reported the issue? And you're sure there's no gapless menu setting that is or isn't engaged?

Top Bottom