Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
This thread is a work in progress and will be updated!
Screen Selection Considerations

The numbers, what they mean
  • Gain - gain is a number used when comparing a screen to a material that reflects all light projected upon it - usually magnesium carbonate (what I use) or something similar. These numbers are measured using a spotmeter. I use a Sekonic L-758C for my measures.
  • Viewing Angle - viewing angle is the angle, off of perpendicular to the screen, that gain drops 50%. For instance, if you have a gain of .9, and at 40 degrees off center it drops to .45, the viewing angle would be 40 degrees.
  • Viewing Cone - viewing cone is the viewing angle. In the above example, the viewing cone would be 80 degrees.
  • Framing - frames come in varying widths and they also come in an edge-less variety. There is also the question of whether you want a Fixed-Frame screen or a retractable one. Going the retractable route can introduce issues with the screen edges rolling in. If you are interested in a retractable screen, I'd recommend getting a tensioned model.

Commercial Screen Companies

Da-Lite - Da-Lite is one of the oldest screen companies in existence. If you look at screens that are in place at your work or in your child's school, they are more than likely a Da-Lite screen. Some of the screen materials they offer are:

I didn't see any links for the High Power materials so I did not list them.

In the past, I've had very good luck getting samples from Da-Lite. Not sure how easy it would be now but they appear to have been bought out by a company that's not too far from me. I may have to pop in and check them out.

Stewart Filmscreen - Stewart has been around forever as well (more than 70 years) and they are a very popular choice for some. I had a difficult time getting samples from them for some reason. I eventually did get some but I don't think I ever got around to getting readings from them.

Draper - If the boardroom or classroom doesn't have a Da-Lite screen in it. then it's probably a Draper screen. Draper, like the previous two companies, have been around forever (115 years). It is still a family run operation under the direction of descendants of the founder, Luther O. Draper.

Vutec -
I've never had any personal contact with anyone from Vutec but they did send me samples of their screen materials when I requested them. They also offer up a valuable resource page that has useful links to lighting apps, screen calculators, seating distance calculator, etc. Here's a link to their surfaces page.

• Silverstar SST - gain is listed as HIGH
  • Silverstar SST 3DP - gain is listed as HIGH
  • MatteWhite - 1 gain
  • MatteGrey - .95 gain
  • BriteWhite - 1.1 gain
  • BriteWhite Opaque - 1.3 gain
  • SoundScreen - .8 gain
  • GreyDove SoundScreen - .6 gain
  • Vu-Flex Pro - 1.1 gain
  • GreyDove - .95 gain

dnp - Makers of the famous Supernova! dnp is actually a Denmark printing business that stumbled across a way to build an actual ambient light rejection screen that works. They offer it in several different flavors and in limited locations worldwide. I'm not sure if you can purchase one online or not. I reviewed a Supernova dealer sample at HTS and I absolutely loved it. If I had the money back then, it would have been my screen of choice.

Elite Screens -
Elite is the commercial screen company that finally pushed me over the edge from a variety of DIY screens into the commercially made screen realm. Elite makes great screens and they sell them at very affordable prices. The advent of Elite and VAPEX screens is probably what lead to the demise of Carada, who made a great product but it wasn't competitively priced compared to Elite/VAPEX. Elite, like other screen companies, carries a wide variety of screen materials. I'll just list what I consider to be the pertinent materials.

Visual Apex (VAPEX)
- Visual Apex is a retailer of projectors and screens. Their screens are very low cost and highly regarded within the industry. They offer one material for their fixed frame screen - Cinema Matte White with a gain of 1.1. Their portable/outdoor screens come with a material called ProjectoScreen HD offering a similar gain of 1.1.

Screen Innovations
- makers of the Black Diamond, an ambient light rejecting material. Some of their other screen surfaces include Slate, Short Throw, Maestro, Pure, Solar and Gamma. I have never received any materials from Screen Innovations in the past despite several requests. I do recall having phone conversations with them, none of which were very pleasant. On the plus side, I see on their site that some of their screens are "8K rated". I wonder who rates screens for 8K?

Seymour AV - All of the big companies above make some sort of version of Acoustically Transparent screen (AT). Most, if not all of those are perforated version of one of their other materials. For instance, Da-lite sells a HD Progressive Perf. Seymour is a company that began in Ames, Iowa making woven AT screens. Chris from Seymour used to make rounds at a lot of the av forums and he was always very forthcoming and helpful with regards to their products. Seymour offers both fixed and retractable screens. They also still support the DIY community in that they will sell the screen material to anyone looking to make their own screen. Since I last looked at Seymour, they've added several new screen materials. They are all listed here.

• Center Stage XD 1.2 gain
  • Center Stage UF 1.0 gain
  • Glacier White 1.3 gain
  • Glacier Gray .8 gain
  • Matinee Silver 2.0 gain
  • Matinee Black 1.4 gain
Jamestown Home Theater Screens - Jamestown is a relative newcomer on to the screen scene. From their website:
"Jamestown Home Theater Screens is a family-owned company located in Dayton Tennessee. We are a member of the Dayton Chamber of Commerce and are proud that our products are made right here in the USA.
We have been building home theater screens for seven years and we think we offer a well-crafted, furniture quality home theater screen.
We stand behind each and every home theater screen we sell! With a 60-Day money back guarantee, you can’t be dissatisfied.
We ship via UPS and provide a tracking number as it ships."​
Jamestown offers fixed frame, AT (using Seymour Center Stage material) and edgeless frame options with either Matte White (1.2 gain) or High Contrast Gray (.8 gain) material.

DIY Screen Options

Paint - Paint is by far the easiest and most affordable way to a projector screen. Over the years there have been numerous formulations and discussions regarding paint for a screen. Everything from polyurethanes, micas, aluminum and more have been added to paint in order to get more boost for projectors back in the day - including the discovery (by myself and others at the old forum) of Black Widow which was, and probably still is, the most popular and used worldwide paint mix. It is my belief that the days of crazy formulas for screens are numbered, if not already over. With the advent of HDR, projectors willing to stay relevant have had to increase their brightness to fall within the specs of the new standards. Even before HDR, a lot of companies were slowing ramping up the brightness - case in point, my Epson Powerlite 3010 was delivering 23fL on my 100" screen on a new bulb and I measured around 17fL over halfway through the bulb's life. So before I keep rambling, suffice it to say that "special formulas" for newer projectors should not be considered.

So, where does that leave us with paint? Simple - Neutral Grays! From plain old white all the way down to a N5, you can find an off the shelf tint at Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Sherwinn Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc. that will suit your needs. Neutral grays are based upon the Munsell system:

It would be worth mentioning that there are always several commercial paint options available on the market such as Goo Systems. Suffice it to say that I have measured, compared and reviewed many of these paints over the years and I have never found one that beats OTS (Off The Shelf) neutral grays. Sometimes they will come close to matching the performance of a neutral gray, but it's usually at a cost of 3X as much. Friends don't let friends do Goo!!

Paint finishes vary by manufacturer. All paints come in a flat finish, it's what comes afterwards that varies. Some manufacturers use eggshell, some use matte. Regardless, it's best to stick to a finish that is either flat or one finish up from flat - matte or eggshell. Anything higher will more than likely introduce issues such as hot spotting, artifacts, etc.

Laminates - My second screen was a laminate based upon Wilsonart Fashion Gray which was a very close N8. There was also a wonderful white laminate called Designer White. Limitations to these types of screen were size, potential hot spotting and ease of build. IIRC, the sheets were limited to five foot width, some people reported hot spotting and they weren't exactly an easy implementation.

Fabrics - Some fabrics that are available to use as a DIY screen include Blackout Cloth and Spandex.

Blackout Cloth (BOC) is the material that is out on the backside of shades or drapes to block out sunlight from entering through. There have been varying degrees of BOC made available at different times. Some have been reported to be more of a tannish color while others have reported being a bit more gray in nature. The majority though have been white and from what I remember, most of the samples I measured came within the N9-9.5 range.

Spandex is anothr material that has been used as a screen for DIYers looking for an AT DIY screen. My good friend Don Terwilliger was doing a lot of work on spandex when he suddenly and most unexpectedly passed away. I never did any work with this type of material so I can offer no opinion one way or the other.

During my time at HTS, I measured thousands of samples of screen materials and paints. Early on I compiled a spreadsheet of the spectro readings from some of those samples. I still have pretty much every screen sample that a manufacturer sent to me and I will be re-doing these readings in the very near future and posting them here.

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Nice work mech... looking forward to following this one.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Me too... I like where this is going. :T

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
If you see anything that I'm missing, let me know.

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Subscribed! This looks like the making of a sticky!

Who is the guy in Canada that builds screens, very slow to deliver but worth the wait...so I hear. Talley ordered one from him.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Subscribed! This looks like the making of a sticky!

Who is the guy in Canada that builds screens, very slow to deliver but worth the wait...so I hear. Talley ordered one from him.

Jamestown! Forgot about them. I'll get them added when I come back to this in a little bit.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
I've got the majority of the work done so it's been stickied. For some reason I cannot figure out how to embed an image though. :scratch: I clicked on the icon and added the link but it wouldn't embed the image.

wbassett

Hey Steve good to see you found a new home! I doubt anyone remembers me though lol.

You know my views on projectors and screens... even with ultra high resolution 4K projectors you still need a D65 neutral screen for the most accurate color reproduction. Anything else causes a color shift, but the projector technology is getting better and better all the time which makes calibration and compensating for color shifts easier to handle. Neutral gray is so easy to achieve, even something more advanced like the Black Widow isn't that hard to make. I'm still a huge fan of OTS neutral grays.

I just saw a 2000 lumen HD projector at Walmart for $99! It's not something I'd use for a dedicated HT room, but the prices have certainly changed for entry level setups. The $99 pj would be perfect for a kids room or just a quick setup for a party or something like that.

Anyway, good to see you again and I hope this site does well!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks and excellent work. Keep it up. :)

muzz

Wow, even Bill is here!
Hahaha, Steve and I were just talking about all the stuff from back then last night Bill, so of course your name was brought up!
Hope all is well with you bud, it's been awhile!

You forgot Silver Ticket Steve, and no, I do not know how neutral they are, but the price is VG, and most folks are happy with them, including me with my 106" AT Screen hanging from the ceiling on hooks, I loved getting the speakers off the floor, my ceiling is only 7' here, so it was a necessity.
Good to see the gang together!

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Re: Silver Ticket - I'll get them in there. :T If I don't get them in there within a week or so, ping me again. I'm knee deep in a couple other projects right now.

Prof.

More  
Pioneer VSX-919
Panasonic Blu-ray
Front Speakers
Voight VH-1 Folded Horns
Center Channel Speaker
Voight VH-1 Folded Horn
Surround Speakers
Behringer Monitors
Subwoofers
BFM THTLP Subwoofer
Anti-mode 8033 Sub Equalizer
Video Display Device
Mitsubishi HC4000 projector
Screen
SeymourAV XD AT Screen..
Remote Control
Logitech One
Streaming Subscriptions
Darby Darblett video processor
W.Bassett..now where have I heard that name before.!! :bigsmile:
The oldies just keep on and on.!! I'm still just holding on by the skin of my teeth..

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
W.Bassett..now where have I heard that name before.!! :bigsmile:
The oldies just keep on and on.!! I'm still just holding on by the skin of my teeth..

It is ALWAYS great to see Bill around!!

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
I just popped into AVS DIY screen forum.:gulp: They’re still mixing up 4 different liquitex paint colors to get a gray paint. To quote Forest Gump, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Unfortunately AVS is full of misinformation, its become a "fake news" place where you cant trust most of the advice given.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
It’s tough for me to grasp the concept of reinventing the wheel! Lol Had my peek so I think I’ll stay away for another 5+ years again!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Lol... steve, you should know better!!

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Whenever I go there I’m reminded of this post at DVDTalk. All hail Grzboken!!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's