Possible bug: Export all measurements as text duplicates Alignment Tool sums – V5.40 Beta 135

VAV

Registered
Thread Starter
Joined
May 2, 2020
Posts
8
John,

I think I may have run across an issue with “Export all measurements as text” in REW V5.40 Beta 135.

I created a series of Alignment Tool sums using the same main/sub measurements, manually changing the sub delay for each sum. The resulting measurements were saved and individually named for their delays: -4.5, -3.45, -2.5, 0, +0.5, +1, +1.5, +2, +2.5, +3, +3.5, +4, +4.5, +6, +10, +15 and +20 ms.

The measurements appear correctly as separate Alignment Tool sums within REW. However, when I use “Export all measurements as text,” the exported results do not appear to preserve the individual Alignment Tool sum data correctly, with multiple measurements apparently exporting identical data.

Initially I thought this might be related to the blue vertical selection bar in the measurement list, since I had noticed one remaining on an earlier measurement even while another measurement was highlighted. I unmarked and restarted REW specifically to eliminate that possibility. After restarting, there was no blue vertical selection bar on any measurement, and only the final +20 ms measurement was highlighted when I performed “Export all measurements as text.” The problem still occurred.

Is “Export all measurements as text” expected to export each Alignment Tool generated sum independently, including its unique delay calculation? If so, I may have found a bug and have attached the .mdat and exported text files for you to examine, if so included. The files of focus were initially those starting with "Take II" and subsequently with "Verified Take II"

Thanks,
Victor
 

Attachments

I found an additional clue that may explain the problem. I created Alignment Tool sums at different manually entered delays and named each generated measurement accordingly. For example, “Verified Take II L (+0.5ms) Aligned Sum 60Hz” and “Verified Take II L (+4.5ms) Aligned Sum 60Hz” should represent different delays.

However, using “Copy selections info to clipboard,” both generated measurements report exactly the same internal metadata: “B was delayed by -4.5000 ms.” Their SPL curves are also essentially identical.

So it appears the Alignment Tool may be generating/storing the previous -4.5 ms value despite the manually entered delay having been changed before generating the new aligned sum.

Here is the relevant Copy to Clipboard information for the +0.5 ms and +4.5 ms selections:

+0.5 ms selection

Name:
Verified Take II L (+0.5ms) Aligned Sum 60Hz

UUID:
e98db61a-24b1-45cc-81b6-939cd5926bc6

Date:
2026-Sep-26 13:09:35

Notes:
Alignment tool sum
Phase alignment at 0 Hz
A = L Main Timing Take II 92
B = L Sub Timing Take II 96
B was delayed by -4.5000 ms (-1.544 m, -(5 ft 0.8 in))

+4.5 ms selection

Name:
Verified Take II L (+4.5ms) Aligned Sum 60Hz

UUID:
b5e1f87e-aa0e-4b36-832f-be08a9ae153f

Date:
2026-Sep-26 13:14:32

Notes:
Alignment tool sum
Phase alignment at 0 Hz
A = L Main Timing Take II 92
B = L Sub Timing Take II 96
B was delayed by -4.5000 ms (-1.544 m, -(5 ft 0.8 in))

So these are two separately generated measurements, with different UUIDs and timestamps, but both internally report the same -4.5000 ms delay.
 
One further clarification that may be important:

I repeated the +4.5 ms test and captured the Alignment Tool before generating the sum. The Delay field clearly shows +4.5 ms, while the corresponding distance shown alongside it is -1.544 m (-5 ft 0.8 in).

After generating the Aligned Sum, however, the resulting measurement Notes state:

B was delayed by -4.5000 ms (-1.544 m, -(5 ft 0.8 in))

Is this simply a difference in sign convention between the Alignment Tool delay control and the delay recorded in the generated sum's Notes?

If so, then my earlier assumption that the +4.5 ms sum was incorrectly being generated at -4.5 ms may be wrong.

Also, although the Alignment Tool clearly shows “Align at 60 Hz” in the attached screenshot, the generated sum Notes state “Phase alignment at 0 Hz.” Is that expected?
 
One additional observation seems important: this does not appear to be merely a sign-convention issue.

I entered +4.0 ms manually in the Alignment Tool. The Delay field clearly displays +4.0 ms, but the distance readout immediately beside it remains -1.544 m (-5 ft 0.8 in), which corresponds to approximately -4.5 ms.

After clicking Aligned sum, the generated measurement Notes likewise report:

B was delayed by -4.5000 ms (-1.544 m, -(5 ft 0.8 in))

So I entered +4.0 ms, but both the distance readout and the resulting Aligned Sum metadata continue to use -4.5 ms.

This makes me wonder whether the editable Delay field is changing visually but the underlying delay value used by the Alignment Tool is remaining at the previous -4.5 ms value.

1790460876680.png
 
I was able to reproduce this again from Reset all, and I think this better identifies the issue.

I clicked Reset all, aligned phase at the 60 Hz cursor, which resulted in -3.45 ms, and then manually overrode the Delay field to +4.0 ms.

As shown in the attached screenshot, the Delay field displays +4 ms, but the distance readout beside it remains -1.183 m (-3 ft 10.6 in), corresponding to the previous -3.45 ms alignment value.

After clicking Aligned sum, the resulting measurement Notes also report:

B was delayed by -3.4500 ms (-1.183 m, -(3 ft 10.6 in))

So it appears the manual Delay entry changes the displayed value in the Delay field, but does not update the underlying delay subsequently used by Aligned sum. The underlying value instead remains at the delay established by the preceding alignment operation.

1790461393651.png


Alignment tool sum
Phase alignment at 0 Hz
A = L Main Timing Take II 92
B = L Sub Timing Take II 96
B was delayed by -3.4500 ms (-1.183 m, -(3 ft 10.6 in))
 
Please make an mdat file with just the two measurements being aligned and attach that.
Hi John - Attached. This .mdat contains only the two original measurements being used in the Alignment Tool: L Main Timing Take II 92 and L Sub Timing Take II 96.

Thanks.
 

Attachments

Working fine for me. I suspect you may have had a lingering effect from a previous measurement pair that had a common timing offset that was corrected by the "Remove time delay" option. The alignment frequency will show zero until you run an REW automatic alignment.
 
Working fine for me. I suspect you may have had a lingering effect from a previous measurement pair that had a common timing offset that was corrected by the "Remove time delay" option. The alignment frequency will show zero until you run an REW automatic alignment.
Thank you kindly, John.
 
Back
Top