Please advise, one virtual sub with mini dsp or use AVR dual independent sub

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
No single answer for ASIO I'm afraid. It can be a bit finicky.
I've had good luck with making sure HDMI is connected and windows is reporting connected to AVR before opening REW.
Next you can open the ASIO control panel in REW preferences and check the connection to the AVR which is usually going to be the HDMI display card/adapter.
In this pic you can see the ASIO control panel and by hovering on the device (Intel Display Audio), the reason it's not connected. In this case it's correct, because I have a music player connected via HDMI and ASIO at the moment.

You're using a miniDSP, right? If that's correct and you're using MSO "Sub-Only" procedure, and ASIO refuses to work, you can get your MSO measurements using the JAVA drivers by:
1. TURN OFF THE POWER TO SUBS, MINIDSP AND AVR WHILE CHANGING THE CONNECTIONS
2. Connect the miniDSP to either the right or left speaker PRE-AMP OUTPUT AND DISCONNECT THAT SPEAKER on AVR. (the other will be used for timing reference.)
3. Set the fronts to "Large" in the AVR.
4. Follow MSO instructions from here.

:)

Last edited:

Usher99

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem 1140
Additional Amp
NAD 3140
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103
Front Speakers
DQ10
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm
Subwoofers
Paradigm UC 10, passive sub, Kef kc62
Thank you so much for your help, I should have asked yesterday. I am using MSO in sub only configuration with a minidsp as you wish confirmed. I am chagrined but I don't understand the minidsp directions to hook up the left and right speakers. Right now the sub out from AVR goes to input 1 of the minidsp and output 1 goes to the powered sub (ultracube 10) and output 2 to an amp and then to the passive (helper) sub. All other inputs and outputs are "off" for now. I am thrilled there is a java driver workaround, just struggling to follow the directions. I had to pack up the NAD avr for the trade-in but other should arrive soon for second go at MSO. Thanks again.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Sorry for not being clear.
You can use the Java drivers capable of directing a signal to front right or left via hdmi.
You will likely find pre-outs on the AVR, typically used to connect an external amp for the front speakers.
Instead of the miniDsp connected to the sub pre-out (pre-out being what it actually is), connect it to either the front right or front left pre-out and then disconnect the actual corresponding front speaker.
Now when using REW and we send the test signal to right or left, whichever the miniDsp is connected to, which in turn will go to a sub. We use the still connected front speaker for the timing reference. Just remember to set the fronts to Large in the AVR so there is no active crossover.
When all the needed measurements are collected the miniDsp gets reconnected to the sub out and the front speaker re-connected.

Usher99

More  
Anthem 1140
Additional Amp
NAD 3140
Oppo 103
Front Speakers
DQ10
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm
Subwoofers
Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify. Very sneaky methodology, if not ingenious. It took a while thinking about it to sink in. The subs will be masquerading as the disconnected front speaker for the measurements (left) and then the right front will provide the timing signal.

I had to trade in the NAD AVR and the new one arrives in a week or so. I will be thrilled if can get MSO set up on new AVR.

Usher99

More  
Anthem 1140
Additional Amp
NAD 3140
Oppo 103
Front Speakers
DQ10
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm
Subwoofers
Unspent vacation dosh funded Anthem 1140. I believe there is a firmware glitch with ARC which I hope is resolved soon.

Top Bottom