PC Specs for running 12 channel filters with low latency

NMixes

Registered
Hello Everyone!

I'm planning on building a PC exclusively to run Audiolense Convolver with my 7.1.4 filters as a hardware insert in my monitoring chain using a Dante PCIe card and I'm wondering if there are some minimum/recommended PC requirements to run these filters at the lowest possible latency without the PC glitching.

Thank you!

HerbertWest

FWIW I am using a simple
AMD Ryzen 5 2nd Gen with Radeon Graphics - RYZEN 5 3400G
to run a 9.2 system supported by two RME audio interfaces. My goal is mostly audio. System has been active for 2 weeks now, so it is still experimental, but I experienced no glitches with the following audio chain:

roon -> jriver for Penteo upmix to Auro3D -> AL convolver (demo, but I’ll buy it for sure)

the latest AL convolver worked better for me than the Jriver one with more than 7 channels. YMMV.

CPU usage is low, I can check this evening how much it is.

I tried to watch a DVD using Jriver with the above (600-700 ms delay), and I actually had to *add* some video delay in Jriver. Probably the poor performing integrated video card worked in my favor :p

In the future I’m planning to try to use AL on an AVR pre out, using the interfaces to capture the signals. I guess I’ll definitely need lower latency filters to compare to audissey.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Yes, the convover is moderate on cpu requirements, also when it runs with zero latency ... at least for 44.1 and 48kHz playback. Any normal laptop or NUC should have plenty of capacity for the job, and "normal" PCs tend to have more. The processing increases dramatically on high sample rates, though.

hulkss

High sample rates (above 48k) are a waste of computer resources. Bit depth, however, is important. 32 bit filters get the job done very well.

Fon

I listen a lot of multichannel DSD, mostly classical, Jriver converts to PCM 176 Khz, 64 bits, 65K taps audiolense filters.Ryzen 5 2600 working fine, no problems, no noise.

Top Bottom