Oscillations on loopback impulse measurement

tof_sten

Registered
Hello,

My system is MacBook Pro M1 + Audient ID44 interface running REW 5.20.4 under macOS Big Sur 11.6.

I did an impulse response measurement while using REW in loopback (ID44 output 2 directly into ID44 input 4).
What I observe is large oscillations. It looks like I have an issue, but I don't know what to do:

I hope someone can help me!

tof_sten

Registered
The oscillation period is close to 50us which means 20KHz.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That is a normal impulse response for a system with a minimum-phase style reconstruction filter. It rings at the Nyquist frequency, all band limited systems have an oscillatory impulse response. Only a system with infinite bandwidth has an 'ideal' impulse response.

tof_sten

Registered
Does it mean, I can perform my measurement at higher sample rate (96KHz) and then filter above 20K to see the real impulse response?
Is there a way to do that?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That is the real impulse response for the sample rate you used. It is completely normal.

tof_sten

Registered
Ok thank you John. Do you have technical read to share that explain this behaviour? I'm a software and electronic engineer, but it is a shame I don't really get what is this phenomenon :)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It may help if you use the option in the graph controls to show the sample points. A linear phase brickwall reconstruction filter would have an impulse response that looks like a sinc function, theoretically the correct form to use. Nowadays other filters are in fashion, minimum phase reconstruction filters have all their oscillatory features after the initial peak. For the general topic see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

tof_sten

Registered
I know pretty well shanon nyquist theorem, it’s more the reconstruction filter oscillation I would like to understand.
I will try to find something to read!
Thank you very much John!

Top Bottom