OOPS! I Did It Again - "Audiophile" Power Cords

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
OOPS! I Did It Again!

Another DIY “Audiophile” power cord using DH Labs Encore - 14ga 3 conductor – shielded - Audiophile Power Cable DHLABS-75520

01-DH Labs 14ga power cable.jpg
Well I couldn’t help myself! I was trolling… Ahem! I mean pursuing another audio focused website/forums when I saw someone touting DH Labs as an affordable, but high-end, AC power cable available either pre-made from DH Labs or as DIY wire by the foot. I followed the link to the Parts Connexion website and found this Hunk-a-Hunk-a, smokein’ lookin’ power cable for $3.75 per foot. This is the DH Labs Encore 14ga x 3 conductor shielded AC power cable. It is only slightly more expensive than my favorite go-to DIY, 14ga x 3 shielded, power cord, Belden 19364. It is also available in a 12ga 3 conductor shielded for $6.00 per foot version.

Needing one more “audiophile” power cord in my system I ordered 10’ and sat back. Parts Connextion shipped the same day and quick as you can say “Hook Me Up!” it was here. It actually beat the connectors I had ordered from Amazon Prime!

When it arrived I took a quick look to see what it was all about. The cable itself is 14mm, just over .55 inches for those of us that are metrically challenged, thick and is a pretty kind of charcoal grey in color. The three 14ga stranded conductors are Black white, and green and the shield is 100% foil shield with a separate drain wire.

02-DH Labs 14ga 2.jpg 03-DH Labs 14ga 3.jpg

You can find this wire for sale in bulk at several different vendors or on the DH Labs website at;

https://silversonic.com/?_vsrefdom=...MInsKcodDk4QIVhYbACh0dbgr6EAAYASAAEgJaxPD_BwE

There is a paucity of specifications to be found on this cable across all of the websites I found it on. I found the thickness and the claim that it uses OFC and that was about it. Nothing I could find told me anything about capacitance, inductance, resistance, insulating materials or strand counts.

I put it together as I usually do with High-Fi King Red Copper 15 amp connectors. And… because Heat Shrink tubing and TechFlexmakes all wire, look AND SOUND,better (and the fact that I had some left from previous projects) I covered the wire with black TechFlex to make it Audiophile grade. The drain wire was attached with the green ground wire on the SOURCE end of the cable.

04-DH labs 14 ga connectors.jpg

05-DH Labs 14ga complete.jpg
Cost to build this bad boy less than $50.00

As I did recently I ran a quick test with the resulting 6’ cable by using it as my pre/pro and then main power amp power cord. Just as the other power cables I tested, it did nothing positive or negative to the sound. In other words it did what a power cable was supposed to do :-)

You can find my complete review on the other various power cords that I played with on AV NIRVANA here https://avnirvana.com/threads/you’ve-got-the-power-cables.4181/ if interested.

It’s a handsome cable and does the job as promised. For the next one though I will probably go back to something that is more forthcoming on the specs (Belden 19364 for example).

Or maybe, just maybe…. I’ll go with Furutech DPS-4, sold by the meter by Parts Connexion as well,… Only $450 for one meter! Perhaps if I break the $1000 ceiling for a 2 meter power cord I will finally hear a difference!

I would love to hear if anyone else on AV NIRVANA has played with higher end power cables and what their experiences and impressions have been

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.png
    image.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image.png
    image.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image.png
    image.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image.png
    image.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Thanks for the info and the "review." I detected more than a little tongue-in-cheek!! But you kept an open mind about the potential results, and that is not always easy to do.

More  
Denon 4520
Main Amp
Sunfire signature grand 5x425
Additional Amp
Emotiva A-300
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
Klipsch RF-7
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RC-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RF-62 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RW-5800
Subwoofers
Svs PB-13. Svs PC-13
Other Speakers or Equipment
Elac B-6
Video Display Device
LG B7 OLED
Screen
Vapex 106”
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Subscriptions
Jvc rs 45 projector
I’m not into the high-end cable game anymore. I once paid 1000.00 for a USB cable. With that being said, I think that some very high-end systems can resolve differences in cables. My current system I believe cannot. If an individual has the means to purchase a 30,000 pair of cables then I’m all for it. Plus they look really cool hooked to their 250,000 speakers.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I’d buy your cable just because of how nice it looks. Really nice work Tom and thanks for the info.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I agree. Nice work and thanks. :)

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I’m not into the high-end cable game anymore. I once paid 1000.00 for a USB cable. With that being said, I think that some very high-end systems can resolve differences in cables. My current system I believe cannot. If an individual has the means to purchase a 30,000 pair of cables then I’m all for it. Plus they look really cool hooked to their 250,000 speakers.

Hi Travis,

Agreed! If you can afford it then it’s your money to spend.

My system is probably not nearly at the level where ultra high end cables would make a difference. That is, of course, if I believed that they could make a meaningful difference and could overcome the “laws of diminishing returns” at any level.

It is still my belief that while cables can and do make a difference the differences are so slight that a touch of EQ (Gasp!), phase tweaking, or room/speaker tuning is normally a more constructive, cost effective, and meaningful approach.

Just having fun and possibly learning something at the same time :-)

Tom

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the info and the "review." I detected more than a little tongue-in-cheek!! But you kept an open mind about the potential results, and that is not always easy to do.

Thanks! I’m convinced quality cables do matter. I’ve also proven to myself at least that, shielded power cables can improve the noise floor in certain environments (mine). What I can’t buy into are the claims of different manufacturers of the incredible changes in the sound of a system by simply changing a power cable (given that the cable it is replacing is a quality built cable and of sufficient gauge for the situation).

My own little experiments sort of discount the idea of huge, night and day differences in power cables or speaker cables.

But I am certainly open to being convinced otherwise :-)

Tom

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Tom, as usual you did a nice detailed job of your thoughts. I want to build some of my own power cables, can you link to the location on amazon where you got the ends from?
So you recommend the Belden 19364 for the cord of choice?

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Hi Tony,

Thank you! DIY is the way to go on power cables!

For 14ga I do recommend the Belden 19364. You can buy by the foot here... https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/belden-19364-14awg-3-conductor-foil-shield-type-sjt.html

If you want to go heavier I would recommend Belden 83803 12ga x 3 double shielded. You can by by the foot several places but I have been buying from Parts Express... https://www.parts-express.com/belden-83803-12-awg-3-conductor-power-cable-1-ft-usa--100-790

There are plenty of connectors on Amazon but I have had good luck with The King of Hi-Fi :-) They are robust in construction and the wire captures are nice and strong. And the name can’t be beat!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W88ES8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W88NDHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a twenty amp plug I recommend either Aweking or Hubbell.

For IEC C7 I recommend Viborg or King of Hi-Fi.

If you want to dress up the cable ½” Tech Flex and 3/4” shrink wrap is cheap on Amazon as well.

Let me know what you settle on and how it goes!

Tom

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Thanks Tom, I will look at the Belden 14AWG. Ive got a whole spool of the Tech Flex and sots of heat shrink already :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Awesome write up!

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
I agree, very nice work making those cables. They are beautiful!

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
My views on high-end cables are that any cable might be the "bottleneck" to better sound depending on the system. If so, a better cable can make a big difference. Better usually amounts to a $20 cable instead of a $3 cable. In another system, that improved cable might make no difference at all.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
My views on high-end cables are that any cable might be the "bottleneck" to better sound depending on the system. If so, a better cable can make a big difference. Better usually amounts to a $20 cable instead of a $3 cable. In another system, that improved cable might make no difference at all.

That is something I have always believed as well for the most part. Quality cables do matter!... but only up to a rapidly receding point! Most of what I do in the way of experimentation is to prove a point (sometimes if only to myself)!

It is still my belief that while cables can and do make a difference the differences can be so slight that a touch of EQ (Gasp!), phase tweaking, or room/speaker tuning is normally a more constructive, cost effective, and meaningful approach.

So I’m just having a bit of fun and possibly learning something at the same time while making my system look a little prettier:jump:

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter

I’m also a big believer in the DIY route if you have the time and the chops :-)

T

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Nothing wrong with having nice things, and no doubt, those are nice. I think I'd go for the 12 ga at least.

henryeng

More  
Main Amp
McIntosh MA8900
McIntosh MCD550
Front Speakers
Goldenear Triton One.R
WOW....it's refreshing to find an audiophile site where most users understand that insanely expensive speaker cables and AC cables are promoted with 99% marketing hype and pseudo-science, while delivering 1% of their promised performance!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL