New user question on microphone and PC

higginsd

Hi all!

Actual I'm using a Trinnov Amethyst for my room corrections. But the Trinnov "blocks" a lot of money for just digital audio in (AES) - convolve - digital audio out (AES), the way I'm using the device. I don't switch filters, I don't change parameters, I don't measure my room again.

So I want to try Audiolense XO. My plan is to measure my room, generate .wav files, split up into left and right channel files and load to my HQPlayer instance running on a MacStudio M1max core. So far, so easy...

But: Trinnov is using a special 4 capsules microphone for room measurement purposes. Audiolense is simply working with one caspule as input to (my future, I'm pure Mac user) Windows PC. Does this work regarding impulse answer measurement, phase control and so on, in the time domain concrete?

I have a miniDSP UMIK-1 in stock which I plan to use. Is this microphone sufficient for usage with Audiolense XO? With only 1 capsule?

Last not least: are there any special requirements regarding the soundcard or the performance of the input PC? I will buy a simple laptop, install Windows and use it with Audiolense XO. Nothings else needed for, as I said, I'm Mac user.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Dirk

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Hi HigginsD,

The PC requirements are modest, but for big system, Audiolense likes to use quite a lot of RAM. There are no absolutes here, but if you're in the market I recommend at least 8 GB. Having said that, there may be ways to run Audiolense on your Mac. I hope some Mac users can share their experience here...

Trinnov uses 4 capsules for hte remapping. AFAIK, they only use the center capsule to correct each single speaker. .So yes, it is sufficient.. I expect you to be very pleased with the TTD correction in Audiolense.

The UMIK is sufficient, but not 100% reliable with the audio streaming. It depends on what kind of sound card you're using. Usuallly the user finds a way to perform a valid measurement, but problems with glitches in the Audio stream is quite frequent. Since you have it already, I recommend that you try. Be aware that Umik only supports 48 kHz sampling.

Sound card performance: All challenges are related to glitches in the audio stream ... related to measuring. And some USB cards can be difficult, especially in combination with an USB microphone. Usually there's at least one approach that works, but a few users experience some hazzle before they get there.

higginsd

Thank you! I will give it a try with Parallels and W11 on my Mac.

And I ordered an UMIK-2 because the performance is much better.

Top Bottom