Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Tom Lehman submitted a new Showcase Item:

New Theater Now Underway

It's not finished yet! But, this new theater is approaching completion and should be a killer!

I'm going to visit Joe next month and will offer a more complete view of his new theater. While he is still awaiting a couple of very important items, such as the JVC Projector and the seating, that will actually complete the project... I thought you may be interested in a very unique piece he made from a repurposed analog mixing console.

He made a coffee table and a side table from one of his old Yamaha live sound mixing desks. To me this will be the centerpiece of the room (at least until the lights go down!). I include a look at the console/coffee table sitting in the room in progress to give you some sense of scale.

Pretty Cool!

Read more about this showcase item here...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Wow! Gorgeous!

That table looks incredible, too. I guess from a technical perspective, I'd be a little concerned about reflections of the glass surface (both video and audio). But wow, it's a looker!

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Fabulous room! Really like the way you've displayed your gear too. The whole thing looks super clean, but still warm and classy.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Wow! Gorgeous!

That table looks incredible, too. I guess from a technical perspective, I'd be a little concerned about reflections of the glass surface (both video and audio). But wow, it's a looker!

Hi Todd,

I broached that very same concern with Joe and suggested he keep a blanket/covering of some sort on standby. While not as big or heavy as the full console with the original steel frame (about 350 lbs!) it is still too heavy to move around easily. I honestly don't think reflections from a horizontal surface will be an issue with the type of RCL speakers he is running.... Martin Logan Montis Left and Right and the Martin Logan Cinema i in the center. Time and testing will tell though. When I get over there in February we will try a simple heavy blanket throw over and A/B it.

I do, however, think the light reflection may be more of an issue than the sound, or at least more of a distraction than he is thinking about :-)

He has had a chance to listen to the room and says he does not hear an issue. But... I believe it will all boil down to what it actually sounds like when complete and someone is sitting (him) in the Cat Bird's Seat and doing some critical listening :-)

Big analog consoles like this one and others are really pennies on the dollar these days. He had this one in storage for several years and even though it still worked great he could not sell it. It's a digital world baby! :-)

By the way... He still has a Crest console that is big enough to make a good dinner table if interested!

Thanks for the comments and compliments. I'm looking locally for something similar right now... and though my wood working skills are no where near Joe's I have some ideas.

Tom

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Fabulous room! Really like the way you've displayed your gear too. The whole thing looks super clean, but still warm and classy.

Hi JStewart!

Thanks! I wish I could take full credit for this one and claim it as mine :-) This is my friend Joe's new theater room space. Not quite finished yet, but getting there!

My theater is "That Lil' Old Media Room in Texas" in the AV showcase. Check it out if you have time! Comments good or bad, constructive or destructive always welcome.

Regards!

T

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
2 Crown XLS Drive Core 1002
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Elan Theaterpointsthp650sl
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
120 inch fixed frame custom built screen
Hi JStewart!

Thanks! I wish I could take full credit for this one and claim it as mine :-) This is my friend Joe's new theater room space. Not quite finished yet, but getting there!

My theater is "That Lil' Old Media Room in Texas" in the AV showcase. Check it out if you have time! Comments good or bad, constructive or destructive always welcome.

Regards!

T
It's amazing work really amazing very well done! Giving me some ideas for my setup!

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
2 Crown XLS Drive Core 1002
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
120 inch fixed frame custom built screen
He still has a massive Crest console that is about the size of a dinner table if interested :-)

T
Man I'm kind off full on space at the minute but seriously Ill ask around with some of my friends

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Man, I love the idea of the mixer under glass for a table!

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
The theater is looking nice, and definitely has some cool conversation pieces.
Thanks! I'll pass that along to Joe :-) I just returned from a visit and Joe and I did some tweaking. He is still waiting on his seating so not complete yet! I will file a report when he sends pics of the completed room with the furniture :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom