Yamaha Aventage A2080
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
Hello all-

I just ordered a UMIK-1 and mic stand to eventually use with Dirac via the upcoming Arcam SA30 or possibly the NAD C658. I've also thought about using mini DSP DDRC-24 and separates but still in the beginning phase of this research. This is mainly to get optimal sound in a 2.0 or 2.2 channel configuration for music listening.

In the mean time I'd like to learn REW so I understand it better when the time comes to implement Dirac.

I did a quick search for how to connect my laptop with REW software to my AVR (Yamaha A2080). The only thing I've found so far is referencing using an HDMI out to the AVR to run REW.

Is that the best option? If not what else?

:)

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Hi and welcome aboard AV NIRVANA!

Yes HDMI is your simplest connection method. Enjoy your stay with us.

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
Thanks! Now, what basic settings are most important so I don't blow a tweeter? lol

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
On the receiver just do a couple test sweeps starting with the volume down low. Your going to want to have the level at about 75db from the speakers using the built in REW SPL meter

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Welcome to the forum Ataraxia!

I did a quick search for how to connect my laptop with REW software to my AVR (Yamaha A2080). The only thing I've found so far is referencing using an HDMI out to the AVR to run REW.

Is that the best option?

Perfect.

In the mean time I'd like to learn REW so I understand it better when the time comes to implement Dirac.

Forgive me if I'm over-stepping, but from this statement I can't tell if you know that REW isn't needed with Dirac. REW is an awesome tool with many uses and for that reason alone well worth getting familiar, but its really not needed for Dirac unless you want to check the Dirac results with REW to confirm Dirac is doing what it should.
The UMIK mic with its cal file is a better option than any mic that will come with an AVR with Dirac on board and a necessity with the MiniDSP Dirac processors so also excellent to have.

Lot's of fun and learning to be had. :)

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
Welcome to the forum Ataraxia!

Perfect.

Forgive me if I'm over-stepping, but from this statement I can't tell if you know that REW isn't needed with Dirac. REW is an awesome tool with many uses and for that reason alone well worth getting familiar, but its really not needed for Dirac unless you want to check the Dirac results with REW to confirm Dirac is doing what it should.
The UMIK mic with its cal file is a better option than any mic that will come with an AVR with Dirac on board and a necessity with the MiniDSP Dirac processors so also excellent to have.

Lot's of fun and learning to be had. :)

Thanks. I know REW is separate from Dirac. My goal with REW is to get more familiar with how the room affects audio and to practice and gain a better understanding of "audiophile" audio. I'm a way off before implementing Dirac so I figured this would educate me and occupy my time until I figure out how I'm going to implement Dirac. And I did read that the UMIK was better than the mics that would come with an AVR or integrated like the upcoming Arcam SA30.

But I'm also intrigued with doing separates and a miniDSP in a msic only 2.0 or 2.2 channel system so I'd already have the mic.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Welcome to AV NIRVANA... glad to have you with us!

Mark C Flick

More  
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Sony PS3
Front Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 1266-SE
Center Channel Speaker
RBH Signature Classic 661-SE
Surround Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 66-SE
Subwoofers
RBH Signature Classic 1212-SE
Other Speakers or Equipment
Kenwood CT-406
Video Display Device
LG OLED55B9PUA
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix & Amazon Prime
Other Equipment
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
Hello and welcome aboard.

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
Thanks everyone. I did my first REW measurements. I'm still not completely sure I am enabling and disabling YPAO properly to see before and after, but I believe changing it from FLAT (YPAO active) to THROUGH (YPAO inactive) does in fact disable DSP output during REW sweeps.

I'm also unsure why I don't have sub options in the output devices in preferences (only LR speakers). But it appears the subs are in operation because I have sound levels down to 20 Hz.

One other thing my first test had a timing failure at about 96% but subsequent tests did not. The first test was with YPAO set to through, the second to FLAT and I didn't have the timing failure after that. I also set SPL kind of low at about 70 db (AVR at about -24db volume) before these tests because my neighbor was home at the time. Plus being my first run with REW I wanted to ensure I don't blast my speakers...

It appears I am missing quite a bit between 80 and 120 hz... I also ran a sweep from 20 to 150 hz with the crossover in my AVR set at both 80 and then at 120 hz. It appears my subs are better able to handle that (room mode?) but it is still present when I make the subs work at those frequencies.

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
Here's a pic of my listening area. Custom acoustical room treatment. :bigsmile:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
but I believe changing it from FLAT (YPAO active) to THROUGH (YPAO inactive) does in fact disable DSP output during REW sweeps.
:T. Through = YPAO filters disabled, speaker settings (size, distance, level, crossover settings) remain. If ever you need to bypass all use Pure Direct.

I'm also unsure why I don't have sub options in the output devices in preferences (only LR speakers). But it appears the subs are in operation because I have sound levels down to 20 Hz.
This will have something to do with the drivers available on your machine. (Found on REW => Preferences => SoundCard). You can check to see if there's any others available there to use. I had to download ASIO4ALL v2 some years ago to access all channels on HDMI. Not not sure if there are JAVA drivers that will do this now and I'm not the best to help sort this out, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Can you post the operating system (looks like windows 10?) and which version of REW you're running? That should help get things started.

By the way, the measurements are pretty good. Probably sounds good as well. The dip at 100hz may be crossover or room/placement related.

A couple of quick tips ... 1) you can label the measurements in REW by replacing where REW has put the date for each measurement. The labels will also show up on the graph legend. And 2) That little camera icon above/left of the graph on the will take a screenshot of the REW graph without the rest of what's on your screen.

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
This will have something to do with the drivers available on your machine. (Found on REW => Preferences => SoundCard). You can check to see if there's any others available there to use. I had to download ASIO4ALL v2 some years ago to access all channels on HDMI. Not not sure if there are JAVA drivers that will do this now and I'm not the best to help sort this out, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Can you post the operating system (looks like windows 10?) and which version of REW you're running? That should help get things started.

Thanks. I think I'll look into installing the ASIO software. Yes, Windows 10 and REW V5.20 Beta 12.

By the way, the measurements are pretty good. Probably sounds good as well. The dip at 100hz may be crossover or room/placement related.

I'm really surprised how good it sounds however these are my first quality speakers. I'm excited to learn more about fine tuning it. :)

A couple of quick tips ... 1) you can label the measurements in REW by replacing where REW has put the date for each measurement. The labels will also show up on the graph legend. And 2) That little camera icon above/left of the graph on the will take a screenshot of the REW graph without the rest of what's on your screen.

Ok

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
I took a measurement in Pure Direct. Still have the dip between ~ 90 - 100 hz using only the R3's. Seems the subs help fix the ~ 70 hz dip.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I took a measurement in Pure Direct. Still have the dip between ~ 90 - 100 hz using only the R3's.

If moving things is an option you can try taking measurements to the right and left of your listening chair to see if that's any better.
The original sub w/speaker measurements showed the same dip. I suspect you'd find the subs only would show the same. If you still can only send REW signal to L/R then you can set the XO to the highest setting and disconnect the wires from the speakers to get subs only measurement. And if you find this is case then placing one of the subs elsewhere in the room may help.
On the other hand, since it sounds good already, you can always opt to forget you saw the graph and just enjoy the music :)

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
If moving things is an option you can try taking measurements to the right and left of your listening chair to see if that's any better.
The original sub w/speaker measurements showed the same dip. I suspect you'd find the subs only would show the same. If you still can only send REW signal to L/R then you can set the XO to the highest setting and disconnect the wires from the speakers to get subs only measurement. And if you find this is case then placing one of the subs elsewhere in the room may help.
On the other hand, since it sounds good already, you can always opt to forget you saw the graph and just enjoy the music :)

Thanks. I downloaded ASIO and tried it but there's a learning curve how to set the inputs and outputs in REW and was unable to quickly learn it so I reverted to Java with only the L/R settings.

I like how it sounds but of course getting bit by the audiophile bug I want to learn more. :)

That's why Dirac intrigues me because there's so many stellar reviews about how the speakers "came alive" for the first time. I had a taste of the differences room correction can make because I demod a Denon X4400H with Audyssey and it did in fact DSP the bass better than my Yamaha. The only reason I went with the Yamaha was because I was used to it's sound signature from my previous lower level Yamaha (clear clean sound and extremely precise (but weaker) bass and excellent L/R channel separation) whereas the Denon was a more muddy in the bass area.

This is just the start. I will have a couple significant speaker upgrades in the future years. :-)

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I like how it sounds but of course getting bit by the audiophile bug I want to learn more
Rabbit Hole Alert!!

That's why Dirac intrigues me because there's so many stellar reviews about how the speakers "came alive" for the first time.
There's several of us on the forum that use Dirac and swear by it. Whenever you get there if you need a hand let us know.

Ataraxia

More  
Yamaha Aventage A2080
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
KEF R3
Subwoofers
Dual Rythmik F12SE
Rabbit Hole Alert!!

There's several of us on the forum that use Dirac and swear by it. Whenever you get there if you need a hand let us know.

Yes, Rabbit Hole... And Pandora's box, hence my Avatar. :) About six months ago I started with the intention of buying some Klipsch actvive speakers ~$600-700 and have ended up with about $6K in speakers and audio equipment. :eek:

Now my next purchase will be a Dirac capable box as I've been mentioning to improve my 2-channel audio (hopefully). Almost certainly the new Arcam SA30 when it comes out. I hope I like its sound signature compared to my Yamaha. However I wonder If I should just get a Dirac capable AVR.. Maybe I should have done that from the beginning.

Question:

There's a big learning curve with ASIO. Is REW still beneficial if I use only the Java drivers for which I only have the L or R, L and R test outputs? I am only at 2.2 and don't plan on adding more channels anytime soon.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Is REW still beneficial if I use only the Java drivers for which I only have the L or R, L and R test outputs? I am only at 2.2 and don't plan on adding more channels anytime soon.

No difference other than convenience with more channels that I've come across.

Now my next purchase will be a Dirac capable box as I've been mentioning to improve my 2-channel audio (hopefully). Almost certainly the new Arcam SA30 when it comes out. I hope I like its sound signature compared to my Yamaha.

That Arcam integrated looks sweet.

Mark C Flick

More  
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Sony PS3
Front Speakers