Jamo c401 sur
Surround Back Speakers
Jamo c401 sur
Subwoofers
Sunfire HRS 12, Wharfedale SW-150
Screen
LG 55" LED TV
Hi all!
Now I don't have time to make any moves with HT, but I have one thought which bothers me. Do I need to use diffusers in the home theater setup? I understand for what they are used in studio or stereo listening. But in HT is much more common sense is use only absorbers.
You have much more sound sources and dispersed reflections be worse for cinema sound. With demping it's much easier to localize sound from channels. And 7-11 speakers produce enough sound energy so the room won't be deaf.
Or I wrong? If yes so which be best for HT and where it better to be placed?
I ask because of all the info I see on the internet, about diffusion are written for studio and audiophiles.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.

Poulk

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
marantz sr7010
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
nvidia shield tv
Front Speakers
Jamo S606
Center Channel Speaker
Jamo S60c
Surround Speakers
Jamo c401 sur
Surround Back Speakers
Jamo c401 sur
Subwoofers
Sunfire HRS 12, Wharfedale SW-150
Screen
LG 55" LED TV
t3t4
Sorry, now I have no time to do normal measurements (and dogs are back home from parents, they are not helping with precise action :)) But I still read and make some plans about the listening room.
Of course, I will do any further action only after proper room testing.
This question more theoretical, it appeared after a small talk with my friend.

Mark Seaton

More  
Front Speakers
My favorites
Subwoofers
The Best of the Best
Hmmm... not really so... as we have proven over and over that the direction can yield a different response... as already eluded to with what Mark Seaton did with one of my subs. Just a few months ago I was placing two subs and firing it to the side had a better response than firing it any of the other 3 directions. I got a different response with down firing a sub vs. firing it the other 4 directions back when I had my down-firing SVS subs years ago. I would say try it and see what you get.

This is pretty much what I have always recommended, but again, nothing replaces experimenting with different placements.

Hi Sonnie,

Sorry to bring up an older post, but I wanted to quickly clarify this confusion. The confusion here comes from what is being moved vs "aimed." If you had a sub that was a small 6" cube, you could set it on a turntable and watch it spin with no perceptible difference in sound, and that has nothing to do with the size of the woofer, but rather the relative change in woofer location. If you now spin around a 36" deep subwoofer and have the same footprint on the floor, you just moved your subwoofer location by 3' which can be significant in both measurement and listening. If you think of coarse/useful adjustments as more than about 2', and fine adjustment closer to 1' for the subwoofer range, it starts making more sense as to what is worth trying.

In the case of your room, my recollection from those years ago was that we started with the large DIY subs at the front of the stage, and spun them around to be very close to the front wall/corner. I believe the total movement of the woofer location (not the center of the box, but actual acoustic source) was somewhere between 3-6' total. I believe I spun them around to push the dip up and out of the subwoofer range, where just sliding back likely would have left the dip an octave or so higher, and wanted to see the most significant result to test the theory.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Yeah... it wasn't much we moved it.... turned it from firing forward and fired it into the corner... it was at least 2ft if not more.

I just recently had one of my DIY 18's in the back of the room... and I was able to get a better response just by rotating it 90 degrees, instead of firing into the room, it fired to the side... and the only movement was turning it sideways... the floor space stayed the same. The enclosure is about 18" deep, so it moved, but not by much. I also flipped my older SVS subs from firing down to firing forward and it made a difference in the response, as mentioned above.

My point was that direction can make a difference... maybe not with a 6" cubed sub, but with these larger subs it is possible because the driver will be in a different location. Consider mine that you moved.. no way to get that driver withing 6" of the wall without aiming it towards the wall. So aiming can include moving the driver.

Top Bottom