My Room

CHOKSTAR

Registered
Hi Guys.
So I have posted my earlier results already (Will post the Previous RT60 in the comments as well).
After that, I have added some semi completed Tube Traps. Many people told me that my stands were bad So I modified those stands. Now the bottom part of the stand has a somewhat Tube Trap design (Although it still looks like bad but it will not once I finish them). The base of the stand is sand-filled. I also added 8" thick rockwool on the top of the stands. I am adding some pictures as well as REW results. Feel free to give advice.
Whole room is fairly treated. All the walls and ceiling have same kind of absorption panels.
The pictures attached are of current data.

I am really new to this and this is my first DIY Home-studio (for myself) and so any help and advice is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 4.png
    4.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 46
  • New.mdat
    18.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Old.mdat
    9.6 MB · Views: 8

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That big dip at 100 Hz and the shelving down of the bass below that isn't ideal. Room does have a lot of absorption, pretty dead from 200 Hz up.

CHOKSTAR

Registered
The 100Hz is a floor dip as per my calculation. The shelving is I think bad speaker design. Will test another speaker in a week. This is Eris E66. Any other thing that you want to advice?

sm52

The first measurement in the Old.mdat file of the four is the best. In the second New.mdat file the second measurement is better than the first. The general impression is that the room is too muffled. Of the two named best, the 1.1 in the Old.mdat file is the best. But the sound decays too quickly.

Last edited:

CHOKSTAR

Registered
Yeah the room is dry. But it didn't sound boomy that much. I have spent almost 12 hours, now listening to music only. I will try to reduce the Low end RT60 even more so that the RT60 line can at least be a straight-line. Also can you say why 1.1 (of old.mdat) is better than the 2nd measurement of new.mdat?
Here is just the two for you!

Attachments

• x.mdat
    11.9 MB · Views: 6

sm52

My assessment was overall. Without considering the details. In fact, there are pluses here and there. And the cons. From the main thing. At 1.1 less pit at 95 Hz, less pit at 10 kHz-14 kHz. At the waterfall, the 2nd one below 250 Hz has many small reflections. But they are 35 dB below the main level. That is, you can ignore it. On the distortions graph, at 1.1 THD (thd2..9) do not look very good, although their level is 40 dB lower than the main signal. But most importantly, attenuation from 85 dB to 45 in 120 ms on all graphs - I would not like this sound. At least up to 200 ms. The plus of all graphs is the uniform attenuation over the entire range.

CHOKSTAR

Registered
So what is your opinion? What kind of issues will I face (according to you) if I want to mix and master in this room due to the low RT60 or fast decay (whatever you may)? I have already tested LEDR Test and it passed. The stereo imaging feels like astoundingly great (I know this is subjective but I cannot no longer feel the existence of the speaker and everything seems to come from the front-wall with a very strong presence of phantom centre.)

sm52

For sound mixing your option is good. I reasoned from the standpoint of ordinary listening. For more confidence, invite someone who is doing the same thing as you. Hearing is more important than graphs.

CHOKSTAR

Registered
Well, thank you so much. Now I am adding my recent REW file.

I have a very big dilemma and I just can't stop thinking about it.
So can you guys please help.

As you guys probably have seen or know, that my room is pretty dead and pretty reflection free.
But my current monitors can't produce anything below 100Hz in a good way. They are Presonus Eris E66 (700 USD a pair).
Now, I have tested Sonodyne SM3200 (4000 Euros a pair) in the room as well.

Seeing, the FR of Eris E66 and SM3200 and other REW curves, what do you think will be better? Getting SM3200 or just adding a pair of subs (my budget is say 600-800 USD per piece) to the already existing Eris E66?

Please do give me some suggestions!

Again, my question is what do you think would be better?
Buying SM3200 or adding a pair of Subs to Eris E66?

Also, one thing I am asking you to trust me. I have felt almost exact to what the FR says.

Here is the REW File link
https://www(dot)dropbox(dot)com/s/ojqo9o1vlm3pevu/Presonus%20Eris%20E66%20vs%20Sonodyne%20SM3200.mdat?dl=0
(I am new here and so I cannot add links)

If possible do give your suggestion.

Top Bottom