DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
I've seen it recommended to move all furniture out of the way for measurements. In theory, that would yield better results for timings but what about frequency response?
Doesn't accuracy of frequency suffer by trying to improve the timing's result?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Nearby surfaces can have a significcant influence on the measurement, with regards to timing and frequency response. That goes both for meausurement and for what you hear. But these nearby surfaces can also be very sensitive to small location variations of the furniture itself or the listener.

A "clean" environment around the listener is always a good thing for obtaining the best correspondance between measured and heard sound.

I always measure with all the furniture in place, but the jury is still out on this one.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Nearby surfaces can have a significcant influence on the measurement, with regards to timing and frequency response. That goes both for meausurement and for what you hear. But these nearby surfaces can also be very sensitive to small location variations of the furniture itself or the listener.

A "clean" environment around the listener is always a good thing for obtaining the best correspondance between measured and heard sound.

I always measure with all the furniture in place, but the jury is still out on this one.
Funny thing when I ask these types of questions, I always get fixated on the results of the simulations and always forget to do the most important thing.... Listening to the filter :)

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Another funny thing: If you lay the microphone down on a table or place it in some othe ill-fit spot, perform a measurement and create a correction....

It will sound pretty damned good if you place one of your ears in the exact same spot. But it may sound pretty strange in more normal listening position.:greengrin:

Top Bottom