Mono Sub Implementation & Loss of Visceral Experence

vego99

Hi Everyone,

I've finally got my Audiolense system up and running and now have a better understanding of how the program operates and so on.

I've been struggling with the best way to implement my giant mono horn subwoofer that is located behind the listening position.

I would like to allow for my main speakers to run full range since they are able, with the sub supplementing in the lower octave as well as assisting in cancelling any nulls.

So far i've tried two ways of implementing it.

1. Setup an Audiolense two speaker system as Bass,Midrange,Tweeter then summing the bass signals in my audio interface
2. Setup an Audiolense two speaker system, but off loading the off both of the main speakers to the subwoofer. ( this way will not allow me to run the mains full range)

Is one way better than the other, or should I be implementing a different way?

NEXT question..

As mentioned the sound I'm getting is pretty good, impulse and step responses look good but I feel as if all of the life and visceral experience has been sucked right out of the music / room.

Is AL overcorrecting things? Could I have implemented something incorrectly?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I recommend alternative 2, and be sure to use a slighly different offloading frequency for the two speakers, e.g. 80 Hz and 80.1 Hz. That will ensure that each get its unique subwoofer integration.

The usual verdict is that the visceral experience is improved. From time to time people miss some of the coloration they are used to ... for a little while. And from time to time the measurement has timing errors which reduces transparency in the TTD correction.

I recommend that you do a frequency correction only if you're uncertain. What you hear from a frequency correction is strictly a function of the frequency response after correction. Then you can develop a target that suits your taste. And then you can turn on the TTD correction when you have deviced the target that's right for you. If the TTD does not sound better it is time to take a close look at how the sound card and microphone behaves during the measurement.

Top Bottom