Microphone placement for measurements

dima1stg

Registered
I'm wondering if there is a common opinion on microphone placement for measurements.
For simplicity, let assume we're measuring at one point only being the main listening position and frequency range > 150hz.
Obvious choices I see are:
1. Next to the ear measuring speaker on the same side - the downside I see is that in reality the head prevents reflections from the other side to reach the mic thus altering the real picture. There is indeed a measurement difference between when I sit there and when I don't sit there.
2. At the nose point - didn't measure, but theoretically there should be the same effect from the head blocking reflections from the rear of the sphere
3. At the center of the head

And another thing - in the last 2 situations above, should the mic point to the corresponding speaker or should it point straight?

Last edited:

skid00

More  
Main Amp
2 x Adcom GFA 555
Front Speakers
Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV
My suggestion is that you try all variations, and compare the graphs.

I think the largest consensus is to slowly sweep the 'head space' or the entire row of listener's head spaces while using pink noise.

I run a sweep for each ear, at the ear's location in space, with the mic pointing at the speaker under test. I can get distortion and impulse data from that.

I have a 1 foot square of memory foam that I pushed my mic thru, to block some of the reflections from the room, furniture, etc. This greatly diminished my distortion readings.

dima1stg

Registered
Let say I did all 3, all graphs are different, which one should I take as a base for correction?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Straight up at the ceiling, and I use the 90-degree calibration file for my UMIK-1.

I believe if you measure at the centermost location of your head at ear level and correct only for that response, it should be about as good as if you measure several locations and correct for the average. There will be some variation and imperfection either way you measure if you think about it... half a dozen to one, six to another. It's like measuring and correcting the seats on either side of you. Okay... well... you may have improved the other two seats ever so slightly, but you made the primary center seat ever so slightly worse or maybe even far worse than you'd prefer. You compromised to try to get the other two seats possibly better. Whereas if you just measured and corrected only the primary center seat, you make it near perfect, but the other two seats are still not so bad even though you didn't correct them.

Anatoliy Gavrilov

More  
Main Amp
SE - 6С33С - 6П15П
Additional Amp
Technics SE-M100
Sony CDP-557 ESD
Front Speakers
Seas 3-way
To measure, I place a microphone in front of the chair (listening point), the microphone is at the height of the tweeter, aimed at one speaker. Then I turn the microphone towards the second speaker - the measurements of the left and right speakers should match as much as possible. And measurements with a microphone near the left-right ear can be considered insignificant. Yes, and you can check this simply by moving the microphone stand left and right 10-12 cm from the listening point.

DanDan

Staff member
My recommendations vary between Centre of the Head and the Two Ear positions.
As well as Measuring for it's own sake, I reckon it best to try to find the optimum (least bad) mic position.
It is very important to use the Mic on a Boom stand, NOT the table stand which daftly comes with various Measurement Mics. Also crucially important. Move the body away from the mic.

Attachments

• B&K Near the Mic.png
    B&K Near the Mic.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 18

Midiman

Registered
In this context I have a REW beginner's question. In other measurement software it is quite common to measure several times at slighlty different positions and then average those measurements. This greatly cancels out (micro-) local effects for the benefit of making the general response more visible and relevant.
I found the option in REW to make several averaged measurements in a straight sequence but not to average different measurements taken independently from each other. Some time is at least needed to slightly move the mic some cm.
If this option was available I would consider using it also for the different mic locations described in this thread.
Am I missing something, did I oversee the feature?

Top Bottom