Measuring your room while in it

Splinter2k

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite
Front Speakers
Focal CMS 65
Probably a silly question, but I am going to measure my room tonight and was wondering what effect my body will have on the measurement? Where should I sit or stand to minimize that impact? This is a Studio Mixing/Mastering room.

Thank you for a great product!!!

sm52

If the room is small, then there should be an influence. It's even interesting. Measure the room with you. Then in REW you can set the time in seconds before the start of the measurement so that you can exit. And then upload the two mdat files here.

Splinter2k

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite
Front Speakers
Focal CMS 65
If the room is small, then there should be an influence. It's even interesting. Measure the room with you. Then in REW you can set the time in seconds before the start of the measurement so that you can exit. And then upload the two mdat files here.

Thank you, I will do that for sure!

DanDan

Staff member
Influence of Operator.png
It is not so much the influence on the room but a close and strong reflection into the mic. I cannot understand how SonarWorks manual describes hand held measuring.

Kal Rubinson

Thank you, I will do that for sure!

But here's the conundrum.

One should measure the room in the configuration in which it will be used. An example is if you listen with the door(s) closed, measure the room with them closed (or vice versa). Do not remove any furniture or other large elements (especially those that are highly reflective or absorptive) that will be reinstalled after measurements.

So, if your presence during the measurements has a significant effect on the results, should you not do it that way? Of course, this presumes you can do the measurements when seated as you do for listening but, if you have to move around, that opens up greater complications.

I await your report. :innocent:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
So, if your presence during the measurements has a significant effect on the results, should you not do it that way?
Your brain 'knows' the effect your presence has on the sound field and adapts accordingly, the mic doesn't. A binaural measurement with in-ear mics is about the only situation I can think of where the listener should be at the measurement position, for anything else better to be far from the mic.

Kal Rubinson

Your brain 'knows' the effect your presence has on the sound field and adapts accordingly, the mic doesn't.
Really? Sure, we never hear anything live without being present but I am curious about what the evidence is for this.

Splinter2k

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite
Front Speakers
Focal CMS 65
But here's the conundrum.

One should measure the room in the configuration in which it will be used. An example is if you listen with the door(s) closed, measure the room with them closed (or vice versa). Do not remove any furniture or other large elements (especially those that are highly reflective or absorptive) that will be reinstalled after measurements.

So, if your presence during the measurements has a significant effect on the results, should you not do it that way? Of course, this presumes you can do the measurements when seated as you do for listening but, if you have to move around, that opens up greater complications.

I await your report. :innocent:

Thank you for the information Kal, I posted my measurement results in a separate thread.

Splinter2k

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite
Front Speakers
Focal CMS 65
Your brain 'knows' the effect your presence has on the sound field and adapts accordingly, the mic doesn't. A binaural measurement with in-ear mics is about the only situation I can think of where the listener should be at the measurement position, for anything else better to be far from the mic.

Thank you for your feedback John and such a great tool!

Top Bottom