Measurements with Umik 1 & 2 always show (big) decline above 12khz

satefan

Registered
All;

I have been wondering about this for a while, but doing a measurement with my Umik-2 on someone else speakers brought this topic back to actuallity (is that a word?).

Since I have been using my Umik 1, and later the Unik 2, i have been seeing a decline in measurement response above 10K. Initially i figured this has to do with the tweeter I was measuring (SB acoustics), but when i upgraded to Bliesma tweeters later, i was still seeing the same. I was thinking that it could be that I am measuring with a Class D (Hypex) amp, which has a bit of decline as well I heard, but not sure about that.

Last Saturday I measured someone else's system (with my MIC, but on a different computer and a non class D amp), and witnessed the same. I did use the correct calibration file.

Below is a screenshot of the measurement (of the unfiltered SB Acoustics tweeter from a few years ago).

Is there something I am missing? Is this normal?

Thanks for all your help,

Satefan

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 08.35.17.png

satefan

Registered
Will do so. This will give me some insight if baffle-diffraction etc have something to do with this perhaps. The dropoff is at high frequency, so shorter wavelength. Let's see.

DanDan

Staff member
Unless the Mic is precisely equidistant to both tweeters, HF cannot sum accurately. Measure L, R, and L+R

Anatoliy Gavrilov

More  
Main Amp
SE - 6С33С - 6П15П
Additional Amp
Technics SE-M100
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony CDP-557 ESD
Front Speakers
Seas 3-way
I am measuring from 1 meter distance on 0 degrees.
Also check the high frequency in the settings of your sound card and computer.
When measuring the frequency response of 15 kHz, it passes through a level of -1 dB relative to a frequency of 10 kHz - this is quite normal for a tweeter with a fabric dome.

satefan

Registered
Unless the Mic is precisely equidistant to both tweeters, HF cannot sum accurately. Measure L, R, and L+R
Thanks for your comment. I am measuring one loudspeaker (the tweeter in this case) at a time. I use REW mostly for loudspeaker design.

Top Bottom