Measurement Issues with REW

recaro19

Registered
Hey everyone,

I was told to by the guys over at Gearslutz to come here for assistance as it seems there are some issues with my REW measurements. I've tried 3 times to get accurate measurements but still having problems.

They told me to speak with John Mulcahy.

Anyways, It seems like there is an issue with the soundcard reading. Please see attached file. One of the gentlemen said my readings are still inaccurate and it could be due to the soundcard?

I've done tests 3 times and all three times have apparently been wrong. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as I am brand spanking new to this so in order for me to get the guys at Gearslutz an accurate measurement i need to figure this out.

If anyone can shed some light, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Soundcard= Komplete Audio 6

Attachments

• L Baseline Sndcard Clock_.jpg
    L Baseline Sndcard Clock_.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Baseline Measurements - Aug 10 2019.mdat
    8.5 MB · Views: 9

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Looks like there was a glitch or dropout during your soundcard cal measurement, it also rolls off quite early at the top end. I'd just remove the soundcard cal and measure without it.

Use single sweeps rather than 2 sweeps.

Look in Audio Midi Setup in the mac (in Applications -> Utilities) and check the sample rate the card is configured for, use the same rate in REW.

There is a very good guide on mac setup here.

recaro19

Registered
Hello John,

Thanks a lot of your response. When you say remove the soundcard cal, do you mean to take that calibration file out when REW asks for it in the preferences set up menu?

I'll definitely take a look at the mac settings first as I didn't even think about making sure the laptop settings coincided with the settings of the soundcard. I'll make sure to set those and then do the test again.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Ditto what John said. The soundcard calibration is only needed for really cheap soundcards (like in the $20-30 range). Most everything these days over $100 has ruler-flat response and doesn’t need calibration (although it never hurts to check).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

recaro19

Registered
Ditto what John said. The soundcard calibration is only needed for really cheap soundcards (like in the $20-30 range). Most everything these days over $100 has ruler-flat response and doesn’t need calibration (although it never hurts to check).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Well, I think the guys at gearslutz are asking for it so just as a precaution i ran the test again. This time i used an XLR on input one to 1/4" stereo on the right output. I was using 1/4" to 14" stereo before so maybe thats why i got the glitch.

Looks better now no?

Attachments

• Soundcard - 08_13_2019.jpg
    Soundcard - 08_13_2019.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom